Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

OverDrive - YJ - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OverDrive - YJ

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Some not-so-recent updates. I'm trying to keep working on the little projects through the winter, so that come nicer weather I can get the suspension finish welded and the body on. Then paint all of the rolling chassis/axles and get the engine fired up. HOPEFULLY before the wedding

working on finalizing the Engine Harness.

Then I tore the engine down to put in the go-fast bits and replace all the gaskets.
    You can see the "power braid" conduit on the harness in the background. I really like how this stuff came out. With some liquid electrical tape on the joints, it really cleans up the wiring. Recommended!

Parts cart holding all the bs parts that need to be cleaned or painted.

Torquing the ARP head stud nuts, and getting the rest of the long block put back together. Almost ready for paint when I get some good weather. Everything inside was within spec, and the cylinders all had great compression and were still showing the original cross-hatching from the factory hone. Thank you grandparents everywhere for taking such good care of the cars these engines came in! LOL

I'm up in the air about putting DEX back into this engine, some hardcore 3800 guys say no, some say yes. Bottom line is I do not want to have "regular" 50/50 mixing with any leftover DEX that might be hiding in the coolant passages, so it looks like DEX is it.

I'll have some more pics after we get the rest of the parts painted and put back together.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post

I'm totally unfamiliar with that motor. What is running through the lifter galley on a gear drive? Some sort of balancer?
    [U][quote]An operation this size you don't know who's after you. It could be the ATF, FBI... ****in' Patrik Swayze... who knows?[/quote][/U]

Quote Originally Posted by anodyne33 View Post
    I'm totally unfamiliar with that motor. What is running through the lifter galley on a gear drive? Some sort of balancer?
    Yep, balance shaft.

The L67 is a 90 degree V6 which was based on a typical 90 deg v8 Buick block (most other GM v6's are 60 deg with the exception of the 4.3, which is also based off of a v8 350 casting). During each rotation of the crankshaft in the 90-degree six cylinders, three cylinders fire at 90 degree intervals, followed by a gap of 90 degrees with no power input. That makes the engine shake (grandpa would bring it back to the dealer if his Buick did that ) The balance shaft provides a vibration which cancels out the shake inherent in a 90 degree V6.

Some guys lose them when going to double roller timing sets, but it doesn't bother me since I'm not trying to squeeze another 500-1000 rpm's out of it. The extra rotating mass is negligible in my case. Good eye!

starting to look like an engine again

I still have a lot of little details to button up, but the nice weather got me working again on this. Big thanks to Wes for the awesome paint work.

More to come hopefully in the next few weeks as I get it outside. Need a few nice days to get the axles back together and roll it out of the garage to paint the chassis/axles/suspension.

Lookin good man, glad you are happy with the paint. I really need to find a job upon graduation and get a garage where I can tear something apart in for a while...

Let me know if u ever need help with anything, im also more than willing to sit around drink beer and supervise haha
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4 in lift and 33's with a few scratches and dents

Trail Leader
    Is that a smaller pulley on the blower? and how much boost will you be running?
    "Any thing worth shooting, is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap life is expensive"

Quote Originally Posted by 95TacoKid View Post
    Lookin good man, glad you are happy with the paint. I really need to find a job upon graduation and get a garage where I can tear something apart in for a while...

Let me know if u ever need help with anything, im also more than willing to sit around drink beer and supervise haha
    It came out great. Now I just have to keep 'em clean while I finish the rest of the Jeep!

You're welcome to come by anytime, but we drink real beer here, so no more college brews for you.
    Once the weather gets more consistently nice, I've got some moving to do if I want to get it rolling before the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdylanr View Post
    Is that a smaller pulley on the blower? and how much boost will you be running?
    Yes. That pulley will be close to 10psi on paper. But it will depend on how the heads/cam/headers work with the added boost. Some see less with the restrictive manifolds removed...but I promise it will make more power than 10psi on a stock engine

Intercooling (possibly chemically) is the next addition once I get it running and moving around. That blower makes a metric-ass-ton of heat even stock.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Looking down right sexy!!!!!

Not too much new happening, since I'm still getting all the parts cleaned up and that makes for boring updates

Had a chance to tear the hubs and brake brackets off of the 60 and 14 bolt, tore them down and had them blasted to get rid of the years of dirt, grease, and rust that covered 'em.

Time for new bearings, seals, and some paint. I'm hoping to get them on the axles next weekend and bring me that much closer to getting it all rolling.

Steering parts should get here this week, and I'm hoping to get moving on getting the axles rolling so I can move it outside and get body mounts built. The garage is a total mess from working all winter on a Jeep in a one car garage...definitely time to clean up in there and get everything back to organized for nice-weather work!
    Last edited by Krod; 04-04-2010 at 04:31 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Now that you have the knuckles cleaned up, put them on pbb or ebay and invest in a set of Reid's. It's a minimal investment, and you will need them eventually. Might as well sell the stockers while you can still get money out of them.

I agree, but WTF are stock Ford knuckles even worth? LOL

Time to bite the bullet. If I'm going to do 'em, this really is the time...I just painted the stock set with KBS and they're CLEAN.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I agree, but WTF are stock Ford knuckles even worth? LOL

Time to bite the bullet. If I'm going to do 'em, this really is the time...I just painted the stock set with KBS and they're CLEAN.
    They're worth a lot more than broken knuckles!

I bet you could get $150 or more for a pair. Maybe even $250. But, that's money you won't get for selling broken ones. Ford knuckles aren't an "if" breakage, but a "when" breakage. With all of the killer work you've done now, you might as well do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by dan58 View Post

I bet you could get $150 or more for a pair. Maybe even $250. But, that's money you won't get for selling broken ones. Ford knuckles aren't an "if" breakage, but a "when" breakage. With all of the killer work you've done now, you might as well do it right the first time.

haha I agree. I'll get 'em on Pirate and see what kind of interest there is. Do you guys have any connections for the Reid Knuckles? I like to support vendors that support local guys.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I'd suggest calling Randy Wood at www.adventurous4x4.com (301-791-6869). He's a HUGE supporter of wheeling in PA and works with Reid a lot. They have the knuckles in stock, along with the correct studs (I got ARP spindle studs and high steer arm studs directly from them).
    The Reid knuckles are BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULING stuff.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Everything looks pretty bad ass krod. Nice build for sure. I'd like to start one from the ground up one day. A lot less shit to re-do when you know it's right the first time!

not sure how I missed this but all I gotta say is Damn Nice Build!

Quote Originally Posted by red6rubicon View Post
    not sure how I missed this but all I gotta say is Damn Nice Build!
    For some reason, this forum doesn't show up on the "new posts" or under the recent threads on the home page. Its easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj
    Everything looks pretty bad ass krod. Nice build for sure. I'd like to start one from the ground up one day. A lot less shit to re-do when you know it's right the first time!
    Thanks! Its cheaper/faster to buy a built roller from someone if you're just hells bent on getting on bigger trails on a decent budget RIGHT NOW. But I'm not. I enjoy a longer project that I can take my time on some of the details and really dig into it. The little parts take more time and money than you can ever anticipate. Someone told me take your budget and multiply it by 3 to get your finished cost....I'll be damned if they weren't really close!

CHEAP - FAST - RIGHT

You can describe any project with two out of the three...

Dan, thanks for the contact. I'll call 'em tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Either way, it's very cool. To watch too! I'll be following along.

(The wife just read your reply to mine and said, NO!) haha

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar

I have to say that broken Ford knuckles have ruined at least one day of wheeling in my life. Not to mention an air grinder and an on board welder...... Dan, I think you remember that day!
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by mxg342 View Post
    I have to say that broken Ford knuckles have ruined at least one day of wheeling in my life. Not to mention an air grinder and an on board welder...... Dan, I think you remember that day!
    Yep. Sure did. And I can say that Jeff bought a set of Reid's the following Monday.

Yep. Sure did. And I can say that Jeff bought a set of Reid's the following Monday.

No longer a problem
    Thanks Dan, Randy got me setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    (The wife just read your reply to mine and said, NO!) haha

LOL

My fiancee has been GREAT about the Jeep projects, and was the same when it was still a functioning vehicle. She gets her dream wedding, and I get a pile of parts Gotta keep those ones

I even compromised and set this thing up with a (semi) automatic so she can drive it around sometimes.

LOL

My fiancee has been GREAT about the Jeep projects, and was the same when it was still a functioning vehicle. She gets her dream wedding, and I get a pile of parts Gotta keep those ones

I even compromised and set this thing up with a (semi) automatic so she can drive it around sometimes.
    LOL,
    It's all about the compromise! I'm still learning that one. She's becoming a little more educated regarding our hobby here. The more she know's the more she "questions"!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

No longer a problem
    Thanks Dan, Randy got me setup.
    Cool. Randy is a helluva nice dude. Did ya name drop? lol

Cool. Randy is a helluva nice dude. Did ya name drop? lol
    Hell yes. lol

He seems great to work with. I'll likely be back for other parts if this all goes through that easily. I like supporting the guys that support our local groups.

Thanks

BTW, out of curiosity, in that picture of the snapped knuckle....were his tires always able to get into those links? It looks like it. I've seen several failures because of that, just wondering if that didn't help his situation. Tires bound into the links, and steering going hard lock....somethings going pop
    Last edited by Krod; 04-05-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Thread Information