Thread: E150 Oil pan rust

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

E150 Oil pan rust

I friend of mine has a E150 that the oil pan is very rusty and about to rust through. She does not have the money to pay someone to replace it. I have not see it yet, but I think the motor needs to be lifted up quite a bit, basically removed. I don't feel like getting into that.
    Are there any products out there that you can think of that we can coat the oil pan in that will hold up? I was thinking JB weld with maybe some type of mesh screen to keep everything together. Or maybe a real thick coating of bed liner? Any ideas?

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    jb weld is good stuff...i'd try using that
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Uhhhh, a new oil pan.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Fiberglass and resin as a patch but really a new pan is best.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    There's all kind of things that will slow or stop it temporarily, but its a bitch to get the surface oil free enough for the repair & said repair is only gonna last a short time no matter what.

If I was trying to get away with it, I would use the JB putty stuff first. Then after that set up, clean it really well again & use the true JB weld to "lock" it all together for more strength.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=paleturquoise]If everyone was just like you then what would we need you for?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Trail Leader
    jb weild get the big tubes and smear it on thick.... workd on a f250 with a 460 motor in it.... it will eventuly fail but it will last a while.. I have also heard of putting tinfoil over the jb weild.. havent tried that but my buddy swears by it for his quad.
    I am looking forward to regretting this

Trail Leader
    I had a similar problem on my raider, a pinhole from some impact. I got a new oil pan for $110 but I then discovered you have to remove exhaust manifolds and engine mounts for clearance and then raise the engine. Too much work, so I drained the oil (and waited a few days til no more oil dripped through the pinhole), sandblasted the pan, cleaned it up with brake cleaner, put jb weld on it, threw some paint back on, and it's been good so far, that was about 5 months ago. If it gets another leak though, I'm just gonna have to put in the new oil pan I got.

If it's rusted badly, you're probably gonna have to remove the oil pan to fix it properly. If you remove and clean it, I'm sure someone here would weld a patch in for you
    Eric

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Thanks, but I was looking for things we could do without removing the motor from the truck.

It is not leaking yet, just very rusty.

Thread Information