Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's a start

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    lol...
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    pipe is heavier, it also has a tendency to split and shatter. but there are lots of people who have rolled with a pipe cage and walked away without a scratch.

pipe is also designed to carry internal pressure and is not a consistent thickness throughout.

sorry to hijack, glad you like your new purchase! looks like it will pay for itself this weekend lol!

another not well known fact about dom, it is actually an electrically welded rolled tube as well, but it is then Drawn Over a Mandrel to bring it to a consistent size and has more QC on it thus making it possible to bend without defects no matter where the seam is in relation to the bend

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    But I have yet to bend or dent my fronts which are dom.

Also brandon, when I do put a stinger on my heep I would want it to be dom. It would kind of suck if you were about to endo the jeep and think you are good because you have the stinger only to watch it crumple on to your hood and you endo any way. I guess what I am getting at is IMO a stinger is structual.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

i understand...i'll probably get a little bit of dom and fill it with sand and see what kinda job it does....because like i said before, as of right now i cant justify a tube bender for 700 bucks
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    i understand...i'll probably get a little bit of dom and fill it with sand and see what kinda job it does....because like i said before, as of right now i cant justify a tube bender for 700 bucks
    its a big expense, and not worth it if you are going to be doing some small odd jobs. the reason i bought mine was with the intent on starting a small multipurpose/ 4x4 fab shop if need be (may be unemployed soon by the way theyre talkin and cant decide on starting a one man electrical co. or fab shop) and so i did it all while i had the cash to.

youre on the right track and doing some nice work with it. a little time and patience and you will have it down to an art.... do work son!

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    its a big expense, and not worth it if you are going to be doing some small odd jobs. the reason i bought mine was with the intent on starting a small multipurpose/ 4x4 fab shop if need be (may be unemployed soon by the way theyre talkin and cant decide on starting a one man electrical co. or fab shop) and so i did it all while i had the cash to.

youre on the right track and doing some nice work with it. a little time and patience and you will have it down to an art.... do work son!

to be honest, thats kinda what im hoping to do, tired of workin for people making dog shit, and im un employed too...

anyone know the easiest way to angle cut tube/pipe? i have a notcher for joints and stuff...but say for that stinger if i wanna cut it for 65 degrees, what would be the easiest way to mark it and cut it? justin, how do you do it? anything special?

i have a dewalt compound miter saw i use works great with angled cuts and whatnot... or i have a metal cutting bandsaw for more intricate stuff

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Chop Saw
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

yeah all i have is a miter saw/chop saw right now, it cuts up to 45 degree angle...it would be nice if it cut more, for cutting the angle on my stinger and stuff

Trail Leader
    I built winch guard for my old tj. I had a black and decker work bench the was split in the middle for clamping purposes. I set the tube in the middle, laid it over until I had the desired angle and just ran a sharpie around it. Wacked it with a cut off wheel.
    Mj- on jack stands

yeah that would work too i guess...like i said, i have a notcher for joining 2 tubes, but im just tryin to figure out how to cut angles easily in tube...thanks

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    I use a 4.5" angle grinder for sharp degree cuts. Unless you want to pick up a bandsaw or build a custome jig for your chop saw to do more than 65 degrees, it is the best options I've found.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

ive been lookin at a portable bandsaw for now, and then later on down the road either build a stand for it or buy a horizontal/vertical saw. what do you use to mark the angles?

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    ive been lookin at a portable bandsaw for now, and then later on down the road either build a stand for it or buy a horizontal/vertical saw. what do you use to mark the angles?
    Get a portaband and this:
    http://www.swagoffroad.com/Porta_band_Product.html
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Trail Leader
    How tight an you do a 90*?
    Mj- on jack stands

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    the pipe is much softer than hrew or dom. a pipe cage is better than no cage or a stock 1/16" factory roll bar.

i might feel comfortable adding pipe to the factory roll bar, i would be fine with using pipe in a vehicle that doesnt "need" a cage

tube notch calculator

anyone know the easiest way to angle cut tube/pipe? i have a notcher for joints and stuff...but say for that stinger if i wanna cut it for 65 degrees, what would be the easiest way to mark it and cut it? justin, how do you do it? anything special?

a little late but thougt i would post anyhow...

http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

rudytj

Thread Information