Thread: Homemade press brake

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar

Homemade press brake

justin, i couldnt find the thread where we talked about this, but i was lookin a while ago (while i was seeing the band lol ) and came across this...with some modifications to this design you would probably be able to bend 3/16ths. i'd like to build one like this but able to bend at least 6 foot wide pieces. you'd need more than one jack of course, and they'd have to be at least 20 ton

http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...etalbrake.html
    Last edited by limegreentj; 10-04-2009 at 10:02 PM.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    i was checking that out, it said the max he could brake was 16ga. it would be worth a shot to try, i think it would have to be A LOT heavier than that to do 3/16"... it takes a lot of force to brake that heavy of a metal.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Justin is right ...alot of tonage to do that.
    I priced having 7' long 3/16 and 1/4 at a local shop in butler. They said they could do the 3/16 at 7' but the 1/4 could only be 5' and their press is huge. (Huge as in did not come in on a car trailer)

I bent some 12" x1/4 plate on mine to 45 deg and the jack was under alot of strain. I could barely pump it

to do 6' 3/16 in my guess you would need 6 20ton jacks plus the structure to take that pressure ...maybe not that it cant be done.
    Saved by Grace

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation. – James Madison

correct, i think if you braced it the right way in a couple places, plus used some heavier hydraulics and "dies" it would probably work
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

the brakes we had at work (4 of them) the one was huge and could do half inch. and the other was 6 feet long and it could do 3/8ths to a 90* then we had some that were even smaller and could do up to 5/16. like i said, it would take some messing around, but it could be done

Less posting, more wheeling!
    the way i figure it, i think it would take a 20 jack at every 12-18"... the more i think about it, i think it will have to be more of a roll brake with hydraulic ram than a press brake... and that still will only be capable of maybe 2'
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

you could use heavier jacks...like a couple 50 tonners

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    The jacks won't be your limiting factor. The structure required to support a 6' span and the forces needed to break sheet that thick will be. But there are creative ways around this problem too.

If you want to build one, it can be done. I'll go in with you guys to buy materials etc if you are serious about putting one together. No need for everyone to build their own for something that big when we're so close, and I've been wanting access to something like that for a while.
    Lmk

EDIT: Did the math on the tonnage to break that 6' width in a V-die setup: 47 tons with a 2" Die Width
    Last edited by Krod; 10-05-2009 at 05:40 PM.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Thread Information