Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Unofficial Build Thread

Thread: The Unofficial Build Thread

Trail Leader

The Unofficial Build Thread

Well I got her a few months ago. 95 4Runner 3.0 Auto bone stock with factory 4.88's. She has a bit of cancer on her and she needs some tlc to keep her going but it's not an impossible job.

When I went to bring her home.

So the first ting to go was the interior...had a terrible odor of dead, moldy, wet dog. No matter what I did the smell was still there. So out goes the int.

A gallon of Duplicolor and all is well

Got some 33x12.5 on there and had to flex the mighty IFS in the yard!!!

Had a slight issue just for a moment though!

After the first wheeling trip noticed the how saggy the rear really was soooo instead of tearing up my rear tires more opted for a larger coil.
    Found some LC Coils and a panhard bar drop on Yotatech, naturally they are on now. Got the old girl up some now.

Before...

After!!!

She is a bit raked but I don't mind much...

Had an issue with the LSPV so that had to come out.

Damn thing was leaking all over the place!!!

I hope to get some BJ Spacers later on, probably around spring. Looking for 2.5 so then I can relax the T bars to help her out some.

So that is where I'm at now. I'll have more to come later on.

[FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    268 Engnbldr Cam & Street R/V Head
    31X10.5
    Purchased 11/08 @125K miles

95 SR5 4Runner
    3.Slow Auto 4x4 (5 spd someday)
    33x12.50 4.88's
    LC Coil's in rear A bit raked she is
    5/09 Traded a 1980 CB 750 for it!!! Yeah for me...
    106K miles

[URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?11755-The-Unofficial-Build-Thread"]Unofficial Build Thread [/URL]

[/FONT][quote=BigDukeSix;173937]
    I saw the news piece on the food handout bus. What a merry band of assholes that is. I would be awesome if they got robbed.[/quote]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    please take those damn compression fittings off your brake lines. They are not made for brake systems
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

holy illegal fittings batman!
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Trail Leader
    That's the only thing you have to say???

You mean to tell me that you have never used anything like this before??? They hold just fine.
    I'll be replacing them before too long. Had to get her going so I used what I had handy.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

[URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?11755-The-Unofficial-Build-Thread"]Unofficial Build Thread [/URL]

I saw the news piece on the food handout bus. What a merry band of assholes that is. I would be awesome if they got robbed.[/quote]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    For the extra couple minutes it takes to flare the line and do it right compression fittings are not worth the time. Better scenerio is just replace the complete line. My personal opinion at least. I feel a little better about the cancer on my 94 now though(which runs now by the way)

No i have never used a compression fitting. I always just replace the whole line. I do like toy's a lot though. this should be an interesting build.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    You're getting it there Lumpy!!
    Gotta work on getting myself some bigger tires & lift. Didn't have any bottoming out in WVa last Saturday, but then again, there weren't many rocks either.

Ya think you'll have it ready for Halloween at BeaveRun?
    What about any other paintball get-togethers?
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    VeI've never used compesssion fittings either. That's just entirely too dangerous.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

i sell em at Advance all the time but they clearly say on the package not to use for brake systems. I tell customers it's not the right way to do the job but they don't want to listen/do it right. IDK I just think brakes are very important whether it's on road or off. Thats not something I skimp on but to each their own.

Trail Leader
    I've used them in the past and never had an issue...I know it's not the proper thing to use but at the time I need them so I used them. I'll be replacing that line sometime soon and My buddy has a flaring tool and I'll get them done right.

I was not expecting to remove the LSPV the brake line started leaking when I was pounding on the panhard bar...Good thing it happened in the driveway and not on the trail.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

the toy looks real good! i have to agree on losing the compression fittings though. when i did state inspections, i failed them.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Trail Leader
    Well folks I have had a few issues with the old girl and she's a sittin. I know some of you know I went and played in a lil puddle and got her stuck, well hydro-locked. I'm thinking I bend a valve or two. I drove her home after getting all the water out of the cylinders and she seemed a bit gutless. The noise I'm hearing sounds from the upper half of the motor not the lower so I really hope its just bent valves tapping and not a rod knocking.

Once I knock some of my honey-do-list down and it gets a bit warmer I'm going to rebuild the heads and see where that takes me. If I'm good with doing that I can start getting ready for my 5spd swap. I have the donor truck again need time.

So I guess this update is just an update stating I broke it and don't have time $$$ to fix it...for now anyway.

[FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

Trail Leader
    Here's a pic from HyperBuzzin of the mess I was in.

[FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I almost bought one of them 4runners, after seeing all these guys with em all building the shit out them I kinda feel left out...

nah **** that, I like my xj...

nice start.

you could flare those lines with a big nail ya know..... but prob better to use the tool it is yer breaks after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

Trail Leader
    Yes, yes, yes, I'll get the brakes taken care of soon enough. gotta get her running again first.
    Me I'd rather have my Runner vs Jeep. I like having the the wee bit of extra room and the longer wheelbase. They are both very capable vehicles and I'm not going into the "one is better than the other" debate.

They do hold up quite well. When I got her she was beat bad and had a ton of issues. This last thing was my fault, I knew not to go but I did anyway. Oops and we move on.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

Lumpy, if you get the urge to build a trail rig I have one that needs finished. I started it, got most of the hard stuff done, but I can't figure out how to get in the damn thing from my wheelchair! I'm in Ellwood too...by the foottball field.

Trail Leader
    Here's a little something to let ya all know I have not forgotten about this old girl but just have not been able to do anything with her.

[FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

Trail Leader
    An update on the old girl...

I finally got the Alt's switched around and got her running. Did a massive SeaFoam treatment; dumped about a pint into the crankcase and 4 pints into the brake booster vac line. Let it stall on the last bit and then she sat for about 3 hours. Fired her up and sooooo much more better. She still ticks a wee bit but not enough to worry about.

Took her for a drive (bout a mile) and coming home up the hill I opened her up and she about died...tons of blue smoke ran like poo, I thought I broke her. So back to the house and let her sit for a bit. Hosed down the outside and then the engine compartment. Fired back up an no smoke, I think it was just cleaning itself out.

She ran alright, a bit sluggish but I think that was the 35's and the slushbox. Last night I went up to my buddies (10 miles) and made it home without issue. Took the back way home and up some large hills and she did fine. I think I got her back!!! Now I can start working on her and getting it to where I need it and not have to fix it.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Sounds like good news!!
    So you're not gonna go into the engine?
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Trail Leader
    Nope not now!!! Don't think I need to...I'm really happy about that. I know sometime I'll have to get in there but I'd rather it be on my time not when it want's me to.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

Trail Leader
    Alrighty a lil update here...I've had this bumper laying about for 6 months or so and decided it was time to get it on. Sorry no pic's of the install.

So after a fresh coat of paint there she is.

I did have to do the BFH mod on my body work to get the bumper on...its a little wider than the stock body. I'm going to have to patch up the passenger side as well. But I'll do that later on...Had to be done before winter though.

It was thoroughly tested recently I had to pull some rather large trees up the back hill and bumper held nicely.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

Thread Information