Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
pitbull rockers?

Thread: pitbull rockers?

Web Wheeler!

pitbull rockers?

I am in the market for new rubber. After using TSLs for about three years I want to try something new. I have seen a few things on the pirate board, but you never know who is saying what. Just wondering if anyone here has tried them. Either those or irocks... any 1st (or 2nd) hand experiance would be great.
    at a 4 way stop the one with the biggest tires has the right away

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I have lots of 2nd hand Irok experience (running trails with rigs on them) but I haven't run any trails with my 42" Iroks yet. So far, I'm impressed just with the sheer sidewall thickness of them and deep tread, but I have bias ply which might be a different beast.

Were you happy with the TSL's?

I ran MTR's for years, and they're a FANTASTIC tire out west, but don't do nearly as well around here with the mixed mud/sand/rock.

Noob!
    i've run iroks for awhile now. they seem to work good in just about everything. i dont know what sidewall thickness that overkill is talking about ,but they have very thin sidewalls. that is what makes them flex and conform to everything so well. one of the guys from blacklist that i wheel with has punctured them several times and i've cut one of mine to the degree it needed replaced. i will keep running them because they are cheap and work so well. just my $.02.

Web Wheeler!
    I am happy with the TSLs, just with the design over 10 years old I think that there should be better.
    I know the side walls on my bias TSLs are thick, have a cut in one thats real deep, and so far so good, but it needs replaced. I also have a flat spot on one. I know when they sit they will do that, ran it for 20 miles and it still had it. Im not sure if I have a broken belt or it was like that and never noticed it until I went to get it aligned.

Has anyone ever gotten the wrong size tire with it stamped something else? I had a set of 36" and got the same and the worn out set was taller than the same size new. I had seen another guy that had the same thing but the bogger was a 36" and it was stamped 38.

cjchevy- are you running radials or bias?

I havent seen a pitbull, and really dont want to spend $250 buck and it not be all that.

What sidwally thickness? Like I said, bias and radial are most likely different, buth ere's my 42" bias ply sidwall...

Web Wheeler!
    Well it just so happens that Im in Pheonix and there is a 4 wheel parts wholesaler here. IM going "shopping". I would like to see a pitbull in person though. I might if I stay in Vegas for a few hours, there is a Tyres shop there, they sell pittbulls, but then Im sure I wont have any cash left, blackjack kills me...

Noob!
    thats the bead thickness not the sidewall thickness. if it were that thick the tire would never squat even without air.

Noob!
    i run bias iroks front and boggers rear. the sidewall on a bogger isnt even an inch thick.

The sidewall gets no thinner past the bead. The tire doesn't squat without air considering it's not broken in yet. Saying it has a thin sidwall is BS. I can't speak for the radial's, never seen them.

Noob!
    you're a fool if you think those sidewalls are an inch thick.

Fools make assumptions.

I never said the sidwalls are an inch thick. The bead isn't quite an inch thick.

I said saying the sidwalls are thin is BS. I gave no numerical statement as to how thick the sidewalls are.

He asked for input on the matter, I gave mine, you gave yours, but the fact is "thick" is subjective and in this case, you're making it sound as thin as a pro comp tire, which just isn't right.

Rant away if you want to continue this, I'm done.

Web Wheeler!
    Didnt mean to get everyones tailfeathers all bunched up...

The way I see it is that opinions are like a$$'s everyone has one and they all stink but mine...

Thanks for the input, I am bringing a set of Iroks home, bias of coarse. I just hate to spend the extra cash on Pittbulls, I havent seen or noone has really witnessed them enough. Anyone will tell you how great they are if its a free set of anything...for testing or not.

Thanks again...

I loved my iroks when I had em, and everyone else that has them that I know loves them.

I wanted to try the rockers as well just to be different, and after searching pirate for a day straight, i've seen probably 85% good reviews on them.
    lame

I havent done any wheeling with my truck yet ... just finished building
    it up back in december ... and was getting ready to do some stuff in
    Feb. and Mar. ... but a Drunk Driver put a halt to that when he
    decided to rear-end me on Valentine's Day ... the truck has been in
    the shop since Feb 20
    37x14x18 Toyo Open Country AT's wrapped around 18x10 MCT II's
    4.56 Gears, 6" suspension, 3" body
    Gibson Shorty Headers, Hi-Flow Cat

PghOffRoad Regular
    I need some new tires also and thinking between the 39.5 Irok or TSL. But I don't know to run the radial or bias.
    Black 1998 Chevy extcab on 38" Boggers

[URL="http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums"]www.fullsizechevy.com/forums[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.ar15.com"]www.ar15.com[/URL]

It's simple. Do you you drive on the street?

Ever driven a 40" bias ply on the street?

Wear a diaper.

ohhhhhh, its not that bad

The iroks drive so good on the street for being bias, its going to be hard to not recommend them.
    lame

I thought the only real difference between radial and nonradial mud tires was the fact that you don't get flat spots/ bad wear...I've driven with people that have radial tsl's and they still seem rough.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Regular
    They sell them in a radial but I thought they would ride rough due to being 10ply.
    Black 1998 Chevy extcab on 38" Boggers

[URL="http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums"]www.fullsizechevy.com/forums[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.ar15.com"]www.ar15.com[/URL]

I would defanitly go with the non-radials...probably a lot cheaper also.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    saying the sidwalls are thin is BS
    The IROK sidewalls are THIN. Compared to the boogies or tsl's they are very thin. Guys around these parts who run them have serious sidewall issues, not quite as bad as a radial but real close. An educated guess would make the sidewalls about 3/16s thick, but that is just a guess, not to be considered as factual, they may be less, probably not any more.

As far as pitbulls, I've never seen them on the trail and probably for good reason. I'd really not expect much more from them then I would of a thornbird. Pitbulls are made at speciality tire out of Indiana Pa, the same tire plant that makes swampers and mickeys. With that in mind expect swamper type road quality (may be tough to balance) but dont expect anymore than thornbird offroad performance.

I'll measure them in a couple of weeks when I'm back in the garage. They're not 3/16".

We're coming back to the whole subjective thing again. Maybe you consider them thin, but sitting there looking at them, no way are they as thin as 3/16". Not one chance.

Unless someone can come back with pictures of bias ply iroks which have cuts through the sidwalls and a ruler next to them, or real world numbers from a trusted site, I'm going to keep calling BS.

Your looking at a tire and a bead, look at it after a rock goes through the sidewall, they are about 3/16's. Lees put about half a dozen holes through his 39.5's on the grand and Dusty has gashed his 42's as well. The thin sidewall is part of the reason they work so well....and they do work well but they are still thin.

Ok I'll give ya 1/4", thats probably closer. And no I am not saying that is factual, I've never cared to stick a ruler in one of them its just the half a dozen times or so I've seen holes in them thats about how thick they appeared, somewhere around 1/4, maybe less maybe more but not much in either direction. Nowhere even close to an inch.

Thread Information