Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best All Terrain Tire (or more importantly a DD tire)

Less posting, more wheeling!

Best All Terrain Tire (or more importantly a DD tire)

im looking at the bfg tire and the procomp extreme AT. which do yall like better or do yall prefer something else for dd driving? keep in mind i dont do much highway driving at all, but i dont want these things to wear in 3-6 months from normal driving with some off roading. thanks for yalls input.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    i like the bfg at's for a dd tire
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Mickey Thompson MTZ's
    BFG KM2's
    BFG A/T

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
    Mickey Thompson MTZ's
    X2
    The cepek FC2 is a much better tire than the BFG a/t IMO. but neither are that great in the mud. The MTZ is a good balance of on and offroad.
    Last edited by tjblair; 03-09-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

my firestone destination a/t's have never let me down, they might not be as aggressive but i love the damn things
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

I loved the BFG AT's in the dry stuff. Mud & snow, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    I loved the BFG AT's in the dry stuff. Mud & snow, forget it.
    destinations are the only tire ive ever run that were amazing in snow, thought id throw that in
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

I've heard great things about Revo's and Grabber AT2s. Never ran either of em.

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
    my firestone destination a/t's have never let me down, they might not be as aggressive but i love the damn things
    the destination mt are a good tire too i have a few buddies that have them and one is up to 27000 on them and still have some life left in them they rate them between 20,000-30,000 depending on how you run them if u rotate them they will last u a long time

I've had good luck with my goodyear MT/R's...they are basically a A/T
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

i've used BFG AT's and a set of Cooper Discover ST and STT's. i liked them both. i am thinking of trying a set of General Grabber AT's out this time around. You can get 5 of them for like 650ish. not bad when you want to step up a size and have to buy a new spare too.

Web Wheeler!
    oh dont ever buy dunlop maxx traction they have no life span at all i only got around 7000 on them and there at half

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have the BFG AT's and found them to be very good overall. Their only downfall is that they seem to gloss over with mud or snow. They are relatively quiet and offer a nice ride along with long tread wear.
    [COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar
    I am running a set of Definity Dakota At's. Pepboys brand, made by cooper tire. I am on my second set ( ran BFG At's before) and they do great. Drove through 12-16" of powder with no problems. Mud, eh, they will slick up a bit. Smooth on the highway. Last set lasted about 42k.

IMHO nothing beats a BFG AT for ride, balance, and wear. You get what you pay for.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I've run a lot of tires over the years, and the absolute best AT I've ever run is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. They are nothing short of amazing in the rain and snow. I'm on my second set of them for my CTD.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    I have General Grabber ATII's on both the ZJ and Rover. For a $100 31" tire they work great. Very comparable to BFG's. Dig pretty well and self clean fairly decent for an AT. Pretty quiet on the road and they handle just fine. I've never had an issue with any of them and I'm at about 20k miles on the ZJ set now with plenty of life left.

My brother in law has the Pro Comp Xterrains on his lifted Liberty and they are halfway decent. I believe they are directional so think of that for rotation purposes. I wouldn't spend the extra cheese on them over the Grabbers IMHO.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Trail Leader
    Procomps are soft and will wear quicker than some of the other at's out there. The grabber 2's seem to wear very well. I would expect 35,000-40,000 out of a set of them. Cooper st and stt are also quality all terrains and mud tires. I have run a few sets of bfg at's and they have served me well. I have them on my stock tj in 31"s and I had them on my built tj in 35"s untill I switched to procomps m/t's which wore very quickly.
    97 Jeep TJ 4in. lift 35" MT, winch, 8.8
    2000 Dodge Cummins, Auto to 5 speed swap complete.

I wouldn't hesitate to run another set of BFG's.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I had great luck with BFG AT's and Goodyear MTR's. Debating on which to run on the next rig.

thanks for all the responses. for the tires im thining either the bfg a/t or the dick cepec FC2. like the tread patern over the bfg and it seems to perform pretty well across the board as the bfg does. fow the type of wheeling in these parts of the country, and state, if you have a tire that is not GREAT in mud it that ok? or do you really need something thats good in mud to get around? ive never ran in this state, so besides being aware that a full size is a bit big for the parts, does the tire really matter? or would a m/t do a little better than the a/t when it comes to the off road capabilities?

lastly, of the two, would yall suggest the bfg a/t over the DC FC2?
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Obviously the tire makes a huge difference. So a mud tire is going to perform better than an AT in the mud.

When I first got my jeep I went everywhere around here on the AT's. I never really had a problem on any trail rides and when it was dry they did great. My only real complaint was in the snow or thick mud. Which is granted because that's not what the tire was made for. I ended up puncturing 2 of the side-walls before I was able to wear them out.

I hated the AT in the thick snow driving on the street. They'd cake up and turn into slicks. Rain and ice, they seemed to do really well. For a DD with occasional offroad use, I'd go with the BFG. I don't have experience to comment on the others though.
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 03-10-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Another vote for BFG AT. Quiet on the road, great treadwear. Great in the snow (note: I'm talking about snowy/icy ROADS, not deep snow). They are so-so offroad (the don't clean out well in the mud), but you are going to get that with any street friendly tire wheeling on east coast trails.

I'd look into the Cooper STTs as well. I have no personal experience with them, but I've known quite a few folks using them on their DD/wheeler without complaint.

My opinion about snow:
    When talking about snow on the roads -- you want a tire that "digs" through the snow onto the pavement. A narrower tire (i.e. 10.5" wide or less) should be much better than a wider tire (even with the same tread pattern). Siping helps sigificantly and tighter tread patterns (compared to a mud tire) are desirable.

When talking about snow in the woods -- when it's deep, digging is bad because you can high center yourself on snow by digging too much, so you want a tire that "floats". A wider tire (i.e. 11.5" wide or more) is more desirable.

For a DD, I'd go with a narrower tire. Better street performance and less resistance also means better mileage. Plus tire coverage isn't as much of an issue.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-10-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

^^That makes sense. Mine were 12.50 which might explain the poor performance in thicker snow, on the street. It's hard to be completely honest without sounding like I'm shooting down the tire. Over all, I thought they were great.

that sounds good. i guess ill just have to decide which one i go with. but i will for sure go with one of the two. cant beat user reviews. thats what compels me to make most of my purchases. though, the tires on my truck now are snow/ice tires. so maybe ill go ahead and get the m/t or something similar and just switch back during the winter. hmm. i guess it would help yall if i gave all pertinent info for this matter at the start huh haha.

It wont be till i sell my mustang that i buy new tires anyway. so we'll see what we think then
    Last edited by Dick.Breakey; 03-10-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: i cant type to save my life

Thread Information