Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rust holes + Duct tape = Inspection win?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust holes + Duct tape = Inspection win?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Rust holes + Duct tape = Inspection win?

This is a semi serious question about inspection. It's that time of the year again and the old dodge has a few more speed holes, only around the fenders. The frame is solid as well as the passenger compartment, I oil the frame every year. I've heard the fenders can have have rust holes, as long as they are not "hazardous" I read the inspection code, doesn't really say much. So, question is, would a few feet of tape get it through inspection for another year? Or is the cloth backed chrome just asking to be rejected? (it would match the two tone paint)

1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Web Wheeler!
    I have a 94 F150 that has the typical Ford rust around the rear fenders. When we took it to get inspected, the guy told my mom that she could cover it with duct tape. So duct tape is the reason mine is inspected. I think that as long as it's not visible it will pass (the rust). Just make sure you don't leave it on too long or it's a bitch to get off. I think the heat had a lot to do with it, though. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mack; 11-20-2009 at 03:14 AM.
    I am, "The Token Ford Guy"

1977 Ford F150 4spd. 4x4 390 (6.4L) on 32's.
    1989 Ford F250 5spd. 4x4 302 (5.0L) on some goofy ass 16" wheel.
    1994 Ford F150 5spd. 4x2 300 (4.9L) on 31's. (Waiting on 4x4 conversion. Hopefully during the winter)
    1985 Ford F150 4spd. 4x2 300 (4.9L) now in a scrap heap somewheres. R.I.P
    2000 Dodge Durango Auto. 4.7 Magnum 4x4 SLT on 31's

Trail Leader
    i dont know about duct tape but that aluminum tape will pass

Trail Leader
    great stuff (the expandable foam) is your friend..

yes it draws moisture and this and that
    but i had a s-10 and that was my bed sides and cab corners....

it all depends where you go... i use to fail trucks with the foil tape, but ive seen duct tape and mud pass....

try the tape and if it dosnt work your out a faild inspection and an hour of filling it with puddy.
    I am looking forward to regretting this

Less posting, more wheeling!
    When I used to inspect, the main reason for failing a rust hole was either due to dangerous sharp jagged edge that could cut someone or leaking exhaust into a passenger compartment, or a structural problem. There's nothing structural and I can't see any holes into the passenger compartment, Cover the holes with some tape and see if they pass it.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

There is no reason that shouldnt pass. When I worked in a Garage we only failed a car for rust holes if it went into the passenger compartment or it was a jagged edge which I took to mean completely rotted away. If they fail that dodge take it else where.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Trail Leader
    My 92 Toy passes with rust holes in the fenders. Now I have replaced the front but the rear still have holes. I was told as long as you do not have sharp edges it "should" pass.

Front is all better now!!! Before someone flames me for it I know they are 2wd fenders. I could not pass up the price.

So anyway....you should be good as long as the inspector is a nice guy.
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    268 Engnbldr Cam & Street R/V Head
    31X10.5
    Purchased 11/08 @125K miles

95 SR5 4Runner
    3.Slow Auto 4x4 (5 spd someday)
    33x12.50 4.88's
    LC Coil's in rear A bit raked she is
    5/09 Traded a 1980 CB 750 for it!!! Yeah for me...
    106K miles

[URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?11755-The-Unofficial-Build-Thread"]Unofficial Build Thread [/URL]

[/FONT][quote=BigDukeSix;173937]
    I saw the news piece on the food handout bus. What a merry band of assholes that is. I would be awesome if they got robbed.[/quote]

I was told that as long as there are no sharp edges that it will pass.

Guessing it has something to do with safety for people walking next to it.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Tiger hair, stuff is hard as a rock.
    -Jon

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfourby View Post
    I like that stuff!!!!
    [FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

[URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?11755-The-Unofficial-Build-Thread"]Unofficial Build Thread [/URL]

I saw the news piece on the food handout bus. What a merry band of assholes that is. I would be awesome if they got robbed.[/quote]

Less posting, more wheeling! BigDukeSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfourby View Post
    Beat me to it. x2 on that.
    I am a Libertarian, you tattooed freak.
    DMG
    Stock 07 Rubicon Unlimited , dont really want to scratch it, dont park near me

I hate wrenching..... I love Gibbs Automotive Service

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    where does one buy tiger hair now? i havent seen that shit in years
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    where does one buy tiger hair now? i havent seen that shit in years

We sell it at Trader Horn.

Thanks for all the advice, thought it was ok to have rust holes in the fenders. Just like to make things as easy as possible for the inspection guy. I've used the expanding foam on a friends truck, rots out waaay too fast afterwords though. I would mud it in if I had to, but duct tape is just so much quicker. Will put on new fenders sometime in the future anyways.
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Trail Leader
    I used to get it at the local auto parts. Not sure if they still have it. Hovis in Zelie might.

http://www.google.com/products?q=tig...l=en&scoring=p

[FONT=Georgia]92 std cab
    22RE 5 spd 4x4
    31X10.5

95 SR5 4Runner
    33x12.50 4.88's
    106K miles

I have a buddy that does inspections and hes always told me he doesn't pass anything with duct tape on it.

I would just be on the safe side and through a little puddy or rivet some metal in.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

I once got my suburban to pass inspection by placing a piece of sheet metal over the hole in the floor and putting a big tool box on top of it lol. Mechanic had it up on the lift saw the patch over the hole hit it with a hammer the weight kept it in place good to go LMAO.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    It's the fender, not the passanger compartment. Make sure the edges ain't sharp and your normally good, little bit of duct tape as an extra precaution don't hurt. And any excuse to mess with duct tape is a good one.

Duct tape is never a legit rrepair. The book says "workman like" repair. But as others have said the concern with fenders is jagged edges. Me personally if the edge catches a rag or a mechanix glove I failed it. Make the guys life a little easier and spend the 15 bucks on tiger hair.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I've gotten through inspection a few times with duct tape.

I always put a coat of paint on it though and tried to do a pretty good job to make it blend in with the rest of the vehicle. From 15 feet away you couldn't even tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshF View Post
    Duct tape is never a legit rrepair. The book says "workman like" repair. But as others have said the concern with fenders is jagged edges. Me personally if the edge catches a rag or a mechanix glove I failed it. Make the guys life a little easier and spend the 15 bucks on tiger hair.
    I find flawed logic in this statement.

My door jamb post, and my license plate bracket, and my D-ring tabs, and my high lift have all caught my clothes and ripped them. I have never caught a shop rag on a rusty spot.

"Workman Like Repair"... My mechanic used to be a pit crew member on a Nascar race team. They put more miles on a duct tape repair job than they do tires. So I'm going with Ductape being a "Workman Like Repair". Actually, as bad as a bondo job really is, I'm not sure if duct tape would not work better?

The entire inspection process in Pennsylvania is a Joke.

The only thing they should be checking is tires, brakes, minimum lights, and windshield wipers and "GROSS SAFETY ISSUES" like a sevearly rotted frame, broken leaf spring, gigantic crack in windshield etc.

This whole thing about every year I gotta replace my windshield, re-install my third brake light, put my drain plugs back in my floors, and pull up my carpet and fix holes is a joke... (One guy I know mixed up fiberglass styrene resin and just dumped it right over his carpet because the mechanic told him he had to have his sheet metal patches sealed with something. Hell the factory did not even seal them on some vehicles. And one more thing... I had to argue with some little bitch once who was inspecting work vans about the "rear wiper" not working. I literally had to get out a dictionary and read the definition of "windshield" to her, and then ask her if that piece of glass on the back fits the definition of windshield? The book say windshield wipers... not rear wipers, not all wipers, not headlight wipers, not butt wipers, not any other kind of wiper at all except "windshield wipers" and windshield wipers are only found on the windshield.

OP... There is not a thing wrong with that dodge as long as you dont have holes in your cab.

Web Wheeler!
    Related question to this. Will muffler heat tape pass inspection on a exhaust pipe?

Thanks
    Rob

[COLOR="Red"]Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep.[/COLOR]
    Unknown

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrob View Post
    Related question to this. Will muffler heat tape pass inspection on a exhaust pipe?

Thanks
    as long as it doesn't leak.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

PghOffRoad Regular

i've used duck tape on my xj rockers for 2 years... it passed the 10 foot look, for real rockers... i hope to have enough rocker panel to pass this year... as for the inspection code.. it depends on were ya take it..

Trail Leader
    West Virginia Chrome!

Anyway an easy fix for that dodge that would be to pick up some bushwacker Flares and slap them on and you would never see any of that! Down side to it is they cost $300 I Put them on my previous truck 00 cummins sport

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    I plugged the rear fenders on my 92F150 with some tiger hair - only downside is that stuff is hard to sand, but anyway that took all of 10 minutes. Then bought cut-to-fit rubber fender flares from JC Whitney on the cheap and used self tapping sheetmetal screws to put the flares on. I eventually took it all off and did the job right but that got me through a few years.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Thread Information