Thread: ATV Tire Size Question ??? Polaris Trail Boss 22 to 24" Tire

ATV Tire Size Question ??? Polaris Trail Boss 22 to 24" Tire

I hate ATV tires.

Mine are always flat, need patched, worn out, damaged, they never have my size, they always discontinue what I buy, and my size is always $25 more than just an inch one way or another.

So I realize that when you put a larger tire on a drive axle that you have a higher top speed and less low end tourque.

I have a Polaris Trail Boss 325 that came from the factory with 22x11x10 Tires. (At least that is what was on it when I bought it used, along with a brand new Trail Blazer 250 that had the same size tires on it)

My buddy Chris put Dirt Devil AT II Tires on his 2WD Honda Fourtrax and it really gets good traction and they seam to be pretty good at holding air so far. There is a $20 difference between 22x11x10 and 24x11x10 tires the larger ones are less go figure. How much difference is this going to make if I go with the bigger tires? Am I going to hate the change in performance or is it going to be hardly noticeable? If it was a manual tranny I'd just do it... but the automatic??

I was in a pinch and had to put 23x8x10's on the front instead of 22x8x10 a few weeks ago while hunting in BFE PA.

Advice anyone??

And I dont want to hear about being a cheap skate... I damage my ATV all the time and hate to spend $1 extra on them.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Unless the quad is a complete dog the way it sits, I wouldn't worry too much about bumping up a couple inches on the tire size. Does it feel like it has a tough time getting moving from a stand still?
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    no matter the tire ... the alum alloy rim is whats causing the air leaks. i have 15 plus in 1 hole on a side wall of mud lites and they hole air well ... key is to get a can of fix-a-flat for a compact car and put 1 can in per tire. helps seal the bead and any plugs you have in it. mine looses about 2 psi a month if not riden. none if i ride ofter.
    OFFROAD
    1988 cherokee chief 4.0 inline 6
    locked front and rear
    35x12.5 r 15
    8.5'' lift

TOW RIG
    1994 chevy 3500 dually
    5.7l 454
    auto trans
    4x4 manual shift

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    shouldn't have bought a polaris.

for tire sizes, you can change to any size you want. in 22 x 11 x 10, the only number you have to keep the same is the 10" rim diameter. you can change the height or width, just like with trucks. but yes going to a bigger outside diameter is going to make an anemic quad worse.

buy some 9" rims and you will have lots more choices.

the aluminum rim has noyhing to do with holding air. clean the rim really well when you change them. or if you gotta take it to a shop, tell them to clean the seating bead. i imagine the polaris has steel wheels on it anyway.

where are you going to buy tires, tractor supply?? all they sell is crap tires.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Quote Originally Posted by YZEATER View Post
    shouldn't have bought a polaris.

for tire sizes, you can change to any size you want. in 22 x 11 x 10, the only number you have to keep the same is the 10" rim diameter. you can change the height or width, just like with trucks. but yes going to a bigger outside diameter is going to make an anemic quad worse.

buy some 9" rims and you will have lots more choices.

the aluminum rim has noyhing to do with holding air. clean the rim really well when you change them. or if you gotta take it to a shop, tell them to clean the seating bead. i imagine the polaris has steel wheels on it anyway.

where are you going to buy tires, tractor supply?? all they sell is crap tires.
    I'm not sure if I can take advice from you... most things I own have mudflaps including the old lady... Nice Avavatar... Not even an ounce of mud flaps on that A$$

Anyhow... as most of you point out...
    #1 Polaris Sucks (I can't complain though, her father buys the quads, I just ride them and fix them)
    #2 No aluminum wheels on these, they are steel, the wheels are not leaking around the bead,
    #3 I put a pint of slime in each tire any time that I put new tires on to help with thorn holes. It works for a while then it does not. (I actually think that after about 6 months that sh!t makes the valve stem go bad)
    #4 This trail boss 350 does suck. It wont lift its front end off the ground, but considering the abuse that it has been put through with multiple family members riding it over five years... It's actually not that bad a quad. I had 230 quad sports back in the day that sucked way worse than this does.
    #5 Now a days most of these places include the mounting cost in the price of the tire... so I let them do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by toocheaptosmoke View Post
    Unless the quad is a complete dog the way it sits, I wouldn't worry too much about bumping up a couple inches on the tire size. Does it feel like it has a tough time getting moving from a stand still?
    #6...

It sure does have a hard time getting moving... either ether because the tires are flat or the tires are bald. New tires will make this thing SOO MUCH better for Monday.

Anyhow I think I'm going to get 24" tires. I'll let you guys know how much it worse it make the thing.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I've been riding polaris's for ever and Love there reliability, just go out and buy some of the dirt devils in the size that came on your machine the way those clutches are set up are for the tires that came with it but, If you want more bottom or top or just in between goto the Polaris dealer and tell them to set your clutches for what you want, you could also get a better clutch to make it engage faster.
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    quit being a cheap skate!!! lol

j/k....but whatever option you choose, it is def worth it to buy some slime and put that in all 4 of your tires....my dad put it in his suzuki quadsport when he bought it new in 1985 and has never had a flat. and i put it in my quads tires also and it works well
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Hi All,

I've been searching for some info on my Trail Boss (2002) and came across this site. I need to replace the front rims/tires and am looking for an inexpensive recommendation. I found a place to get the stock size tires (am looking at Carlisle AT 489 sized 23x7x10). My issue is that I can't find what size rims I need...I found a set of 10x5 with the 4x156 bolt pattern. Will these tires work on the rim size that I found?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    as long as you bolt pattern on the front is 4 on 156mm then those rims will match the tires you were looking at.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Thread Information