Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Upgrades!!

Thread: Upgrades!!

Noob!

Thumbs up Upgrades!!

i am looking for about a 4" lift and some 35x12.50 tires for my new JK
    i already have 17"rims
    so any guidance i can get from you guys will help
    like i said before im new to this whole jeep thing
    so any info you got will help
    thanks

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    im not sure about the jk's but, on tj's you will have a tough time running anything above a 30 inch tire on stock wheels, without spacers or something....on a tj they will rub at a full turn...you'll probably need a wheel with more backspacing (most likely)

edit: im not sure if you have aftermarket wheels or stock wheels..just assumed from your avatar
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Noob!
    well those are 31" tires on there now

and they dont rub at all??? 31x10.5 or 9.5
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Noob!
    i know what you mean about the spacers though
    thanks

Noob!
    i dont know what the width is
    thats what i got stock
    17"rims 31"tires

Noob!
    i dont know what the width is
    thats what i got stock
    17"rims 31"tires

Less posting, more wheeling! BigDukeSix's Avatar
    My Rubicon JK came stockmwith 32 inch BFG mud terrains.
    I am a Libertarian, you tattooed freak.
    DMG
    Stock 07 Rubicon Unlimited , dont really want to scratch it, dont park near me

I hate wrenching..... I love Gibbs Automotive Service

hmmm....i guess tj's and jks are pretty different then...i never paid much attention to JK's

If you go with a 4 inch lift you might as well do 37's on the JK cause they'll fit. You'll end up there anyway if you wheel.

Don't waste your time with a 3inch kit IMO.

There's alot of nice kits out there. I got a BDS on mine and am extemely happy with it. BDS has backed up their no BS warranty 100% on anything that has broke due to trail use. BDS makes a 4 inch JK kit. Check thier website. I got mine at Meridian off road.
    DMG

Noob!
    yeah i dont know its all still chinese to me learning on the fly!! haha
    i'll get it figured out thanks

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    hmmm....i guess tj's and jks are pretty different then...i never paid much attention to JK's

In twenty years or so I might actually wheel it when its worth about 500 bucks. At least that is what I understand from some dudes around here.
    DMG

Noob!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDukeSix View Post
    If you go with a 4 inch lift you might as well do 37's on the JK cause they'll fit. You'll end up there anyway if you wheel.

Don't waste your time with a 3inch kit IMO.

There's alot of nice kits out there. I got a BDS on mine and am extemely happy with it. BDS has backed up their no BS warranty 100% on anything that has broke due to trail use. BDS makes a 4 inch JK kit. Check thier website. I got mine at Meridian off road.
    thanks man yeah thats what i was looking at
    4"BDS lift
    thats probably what i am going to go with
    just need to find a decent price on tires

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    You will fit 37's with a 4in kit but you will have to do a little body trimming in the rear wheel well. And you might as well plan on a regear at the same time. you would probably need to regear even with 35's. If you can manage it cash wise I would go with the long arm. the off and on road performance you will gain is well worth it.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Noob!
    i would go with a rough country 4' lift. 35' tires are the biggest tire before you have to regear it.
    here the lift link
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4.html

for tire this ebay store has great prices on wheel and tire combos
    http://stores.ebay.com/RimzOneOnline...0Q2em14?_pgn=2

myself i would run just 35' tires 37' your engine screaming. remember it's the 3.8 not the 4.0.
    this is what it would look like
    Last edited by KODIAK; 12-13-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Noob!
    if you really want control arms heres the series ll 4' lift
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4x.html

Everyone has their opinion. I'm not a huge fan of RC stuff. I personally know the guys at BDS and you will not find a better company to deal with. Nor will you find another company that issues a no questions asks lifetime warrenty, and stands behind it. Again everyone has their opinion.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

if you are looking for a cheaper kit check out these guys
    http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=40&gr=-1
    Zone is owned by BDS. The Zone kits just don't carry the lifetime warrenty. But they are still a quality kit that is all US made

Noob!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Everyone has their opinion. I'm not a huge fan of RC stuff. I personally know the guys at BDS and you will not find a better company to deal with. Nor will you find another company that issues a no questions asks lifetime warrenty, and stands behind it. Again everyone has their opinion.
    i have a BDS lift on my ZJ and i love it. just thought rough country step up there game in the past 2 years. if you want all out reliability go BDS. if you want something half the price and still name brand rough country. i would buy ether lift.

Quote Originally Posted by KODIAK View Post
    i have a BDS lift on my ZJ and i love it. just thought rough country step up there game in the past 2 years. if you want all out reliability go BDS. if you want something half the price and still name brand rough country. i would buy ether lift.
    RC has made some improvements, but I would buy a Zone kit before an RC. Like I said everyone has their favorite's.

I'm jealous that my subtible is lame.
    I'm very surprised I didn't read this earlier..........

If you are so new to the whole "jeep thing" why are you so eager to lift it so high and put large tires on it? Why don't you just get properly back spaced wheels, slap some 33's under it (I'm pretty sure you can do that on a JK without much difficulty on stock suspension) and learn how to wheel it (no offense), they decide how "big" you want to go?

How do you even know you need that much lift and such a large tire size without learning what/where you wheel and what you will actually need to accomplish your wheeling needs?

Official Meet and Greet Coordinator Alley's Avatar
    My advice would be get rid of the 17" rims .... didnt' read and see if anyone said that yet! But, yeah..... Smaller rims are better! But Nubz you definitly picked an amazing color Yellow is the way to go! Love the Jeep!!

Skeebs, I understand the need to lift it off the lot, with bigger tires. Nothing wrong with that if they actually intend to wheel it. I have more of a problem with the folks I see driving around in lifted rigs and the "if you can read this, flip me over" sticker that has never left pavement!! I pretty much want to peform violent acts on those people considering they have Jeeps and I don't... Yeah hate them!!
    "Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    All you need to know. Clayton is a huge supporter of wheeling here in the NE. You won't find anything that will take abuse like his stuff, period.

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/

Thread Information