Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Winter Camping in Raystown
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Camping in Raystown

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar

Winter Camping in Raystown

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me where a ood place to winter camp in the Raystown area. Thanks!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    damn dude...its FREEZING OUTSIDE! that sounds like a terrible time...haha
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Its actually quite a good time if your a man LOL, Jaime did you check the state park websites for places up there? The State Parks website is very good as to information etc.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I was looking at the site and I cannot find a park wit year round tenting, unless I wanna drive up to the Scranton area. Thanks though!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I dunno which is worse, camping in the cold or waking up in a hot ass tent sweating your sac off. My vote is gonna go for a good sleeping bag and winter to sleep in, and then summer weather when you wake up, if at all possible.
    -Ian-

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I think you're nuts. Many of the campsites are closed by the end of October. You may find a few of the privately-owned places though. If you want a much better experience, I'd suggest going to Huntingdon and sleeping on the floor at a hottie's dorm room at Juniata.*

http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/

* JC grad 1997, married to a JC grad 1998

LOL. Honestly, the reason I gotta get away is because we are planning a wedding and I think I am gonna snap. Maybe not quite postal, but not far from it? What ever happened to the days of no responsibilities? WTF

Btw, thanks for the link!

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    You can camp year round in the state forests. You have no water or toilets.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by cjw94xk View Post
    LOL. Honestly, the reason I gotta get away is because we are planning a wedding and I think I am gonna snap. Maybe not quite postal, but not far from it? What ever happened to the days of no responsibilities? WTF

Btw, thanks for the link!

Dude, I know what you mean. I'm in the exact same boat. The woman isn't making me all that crazy by herself, but with the stress of work, money, and her...I'm going to go nuts! I really need summer to be here so I can get on my bike.
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    Just about every State Park closes their camping facilities in the winter, but as Jason mentioned State Forests are fair game. Just north of the lake is a long distance backpacking trail... I forget the name but that may point you in a direction or two. It might be the Tuscarora Trail. If you're not dead set on that area you could always just backpack into the Laurel Highlands Trail... the winter camping their can't be beat. Bathrooms are still available, you'll usually have the cozy and warm adirondacks all to yourself, the scenery is incredible, and they provide free firewood.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Quote Originally Posted by Meeke View Post
    Dude, I know what you mean. I'm in the exact same boat. The woman isn't making me all that crazy by herself, but with the stress of work, money, and her...I'm going to go nuts! I really need summer to be here so I can get on my bike.
    Well, I should say I am in the same boat. It's not just her, but like you, money for the wedding, and work can be a bitch. I just rebuilt my cannondale and I am itching to get a ride in so when springs breaks post up and lets go for a ride.

Tim, thanks. I was looking at Rothrock state forest which is were I think you were talking about. I would love to stay closer but with them coming from Philly I am trying to meet them halfway. If you don't mind though, where exactly is that trail in case I wanna do a solo? Thanks man.

Trail Leader
    Sorry, wrong type of bike...Suzuki Boulevard c50... Although I would love to get back on a mountain bike, my back won't let me. 2 Herniated discs in my lower back wreak havoc on my left leg. I can't straighten it out at all while i am bent at the waist, even a little.

Keep your head up man, this time next year things will be easier. Congrats for taking the step! Btw, when does the ball-and-chain become a permanent attachment? October 9th for me.
    Last edited by Meeke; 01-14-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

Well, we have our game plan figured out. Thanks for the advice on State Forest.
    It turns out we are gonna do a weekend trip in Rothrock State Forest near a place called Bear Meadows. Now I still had to apply for a permit since we will be in one camp for more than one night and the Jeep won't be too far away. My thinking was with the weather being so unpredictable this wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Looks like a pretty cool area. Camp will be at 1200-1400 feet with a peak of 2500 not far off at all. On top of that there are two trout streams within walking distance. Needless to say the fly rod is gonna be making the trip with us!
    So, one question. With it being in the dead of winter I am looking into some sleeping pads. Gander Mountain has a therma rest self inflatable for a reasonable price, but they also have a foam pad. I do not mind sleeping on the ground but I wanna stay warm to so insulation is the name of the game here. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    oh, and if anyone fly fishes, any suggestions on what to use as for flies?

A high R value self inflating Therm-a-rest is you best bet. They are an open foam pad, which is better than all air because it's easier to heat up. Although, there are some small inflatable with multiple chambers that hold heat well because of the material they are made out of.

I have a hard time giving up my Therm-a-rest though.

Get a liner for your bag, you can add 5-15º of warmth to your bag with one.

If you have a down bag, be sure to fluff it before you go to sleep. Down is very warm, but if you get a flat spot or a clump, that area will let out a lot of heat and the loft of the down will trap warm air.

If you have synthetic, it's not as big of a deal.

If your bag does not have a hood, wear a warm hat.

Get as little between you and the bag. Ie, don't wear a coat to bed. The bag keeps you warm because it traps your body heat, wearing heavy/bulky prevents the bag from doing it's job.

If you got a decent bag and pad, you'll be fine (until you have to wake up and crawl out of the bag).
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Less posting, more wheeling!
    waking up to piss in the middle of the night is the WORST!

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblaze View Post
    waking up to piss in the middle of the night is the WORST!
    Smart winter campers keep a pee bottle near by so you don't have to get out of your bag in the cold.

If you're up for the travel, The Allegheny National Forest around Warren County is nice in the winter.

Here's a view from one of the Jake's Rocks overlook near the Kinzua Dam

I wish I had some more pics from the area we camp in winter, but I've seemed to have forgotten to save the pics when I changed computers.
    We don't stop Jeepin' because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop Jeepin'

At one point we were considering the Allegheny National Forest. I decided to hold off on it bc of the travel time for my friends. This summer, it is fair game. Take the yak up there with some buddies, def a good time.
    I am still keeping an eye on the weather. One said it could be 40 and mild, the other in the 20's with snow. Honestly, I am hoping for the snow.
    Can't wait

Just hope you don't wake up to a collapsed tent.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjw94xk View Post
    At one point we were considering the Allegheny National Forest. I decided to hold off on it bc of the travel time for my friends. This summer, it is fair game. Take the yak up there with some buddies, def a good time.
    I am still keeping an eye on the weather. One said it could be 40 and mild, the other in the 20's with snow. Honestly, I am hoping for the snow.
    Can't wait

Throw a PM at me when you do come up this way. There's a few campground that are "by boat only". I'll toss the ole Mowhawk on the top of the Jeep and we can paddle across the Kinzua reservoir and camp.
    We don't stop Jeepin' because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop Jeepin'

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
    Just hope you don't wake up to a collapsed tent.
    That would make for an interesting night to say the least! If that happens my ass is sleeping in the Jeep. lol

I will definitely shoot you a pm when we get up that way. I like to explore new places but at the same time it is nice to have someone who knows there way around a bit.

My first experience winter camping was in the boy scouts. We went from a little snow when we went to sleep to almost a foot when we woke up. One of the tents (not the one I was in) collapsed under the weight of the snow, and mine, we couldn't get the door open. It was a fun time.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Well, I have been keeping an eye on the forecast. It looks like it is gonna be cold but no snow till Sunday. I gotta admit, I am a bit disappointed. Guess this means more we can get some good easy hiking in and some late nights around the campfire. I am still undecided whether to bring Wild Turkey or Jack.
    Any suggestions?

Trail Leader
    Jack and or some homemade brandy would be my choice antifreeze.
    00 XJ 4.5" lift 32" swampers

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ^ both of those will do the trick for sure.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

OK. Well we got everything packed up. Well at least I think we do. This is gonna be interesting to say the least! They're calling for 4-8 in the mountains, actually a bit less than here.
    Wish us luck.

Thread Information