Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offroad Shop Western PA

Noob!

Exclamation Offroad Shop Western PA

Ok this is just a general idea / question... I have noticed where I live (between Pittsburgh and Erie on the Pa / Ohio Boarder) that there is NO shop that will do installs off offroad equipment, Lifts, winches, drive shaft axles etc. etc. But where we are located there is 4wd, Summit, Meridian.. Plus all of the Offroad events... The Four Wheel Drive night at yankee lake, Dirt Days at Beaver run, Offroad Adventure park, Plus all the other trails. Now I know most of you all know how to do this, but what about the people who want to lift there Jeep /Truck or add cool accessories but have no clue how to? None of the places I mentioned will do it, they just provide the equipment. So What I am asking is all you guys that are around this area what do you think of the chance of a offroad shop opening up that will cater to the Off-Road world? Is there a need? or has it become so simple most people just do it themself or know someone that does it for Beer and Food?
    Is this something that would be needed or Not really because it is to easy...
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=Lime]A Real Jeep is Built not bought[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    im pretty sure meridian does all that stuff? i dont know though, im the only one that does the work to my heep...basically if i cant do it, i dont need it, or ill just learn to do it...haha
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    X2 ^

It's always been my understanding that Meridian did that type of work. I just can't afford to take my stuff there or anywhere to get work done. I do it all my self.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I'm sure if you market it right people will come.. there are people who don't even have a desire to work on thier rigs. like I would rather pay someone to do my ball joints then do that shit.. but the rest is fun..
    I really don't understand why people lift their jeeps/trucks and not wheel them... and if they do, they should learn a bit on how to fix what they will inevitably break.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

Noob!
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg0690 View Post
    X2 ^

It's always been my understanding that Meridian did that type of work. I just can't afford to take my stuff there or anywhere to get work done. I do it all my self.
    Yea I guess they do..... So is there a need for another shop to open??? Plus where I am located I am about 45 Min. North of Butler
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=Lime]A Real Jeep is Built not bought[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    People who actually offroad their rigs break alot. So most do their own work I would have thousands and thousands of dollars in labor on my scout if I didnt do the majority of it my self... Some stuff I dont like to be bothered with but I consider myself lucky in latrobe I have a ton of back yard mechanics that do good work cheap. Im not really sure how big of a market there is to be honest but im guessing a small one...
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Like most of the guys have said, most guys that wheel there junk and break it, fix it and build it themselves or with help from friends. There are local garages all over SW Pa that will do good work on 4wd's just gotta look around.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Location, Location, Location. Sharon/Hermitage/Brookfield/Farrell/Greenville, etc....none are exactly a metropolis. I'm sure you could find some business, but enough to support yourself and employees.....I don't think the economics of that area will support it. Most of the country kids up there do it themselves.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Yes we do install lifts, winches,driveshafts, and much more at Meridian. Always have always will.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

We do a lot of that sort of work. Or help our friends do it themselves.

PghOffRoad Regular
    theres a guy that does good work out in coraopolis, pm me if you want his info

I drove down to Butler today to pick up a used winch plate (thanks TJBlair) and stopped at Meridian on my way through. Nice place. I had the pleasure of listening to the owner talk to a customer about options for installing a new lift. He knew his stuff which was nice to hear. Also got to check out TJblairs jeep, who works at Meridian.

Trail Leader
    there is a shop out on old 82 that does lifts and eveything eles

Trail Leader
    oh in brookfield ohio haha sorry

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    From my understanding about shops that do custom work is this, most of them do regular maintanence stuff too just to pay the bills. For instance my friend owns a custom tuner shop in Washington here, but mostly he works on anything but tuners because the market isn't there to support everything and everyone he has there.

You could consider that option, or sell lifts, tires, parts etc to add some customers that do work themselves and don't want to pay shipping on big tires etc.

Or do all 3? I'm just not sure that you'd find enough people that won't do the installs themselves to survive without being in the right area.

just my 2 cents
    -Ian-

Quote Originally Posted by Leady View Post
    From my understanding about shops that do custom work is this, most of them do regular maintanence stuff too just to pay the bills. For instance my friend owns a custom tuner shop in Washington here, but mostly he works on anything but tuners because the market isn't there to support everything and everyone he has there.

You could consider that option, or sell lifts, tires, parts etc to add some customers that do work themselves and don't want to pay shipping on big tires etc.

Or do all 3? I'm just not sure that you'd find enough people that won't do the installs themselves to survive without being in the right area.

just my 2 cents
    You would be suprised
    I mean don't get me wrong we do other stuff besides lifts. Such as bedliners,and accesories.
    When I first started working for Meridian I was suprised at just many lifts and gear swaps and other offroad related jobs that we actueally do.
    Last edited by tjblair; 02-28-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! 13below0's Avatar
    theres a few places in Erie. Powerhouse auto acc. does gear installs, lifts etc. But there more know for there performance stuff so I guess some people might think to never try and give different places a call.
    SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL WELDER...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    You would be suprised
    I mean don't get me wrong we do other stuff besides lifts. Such as bedliners,and accesories.
    When I first started working for Meridian I was suprised at just many lifts and gear swaps and other offroad related jobs that we actueally do.
    Yeah I guess, it's all in making a name. Depends on what you start up with, how you do it, and how you market yourself.
    -Ian-

theres a place in near butler that does stuff like that. and some custom fab stuff. called extreme off road. his name is mike. pm me and ill shoot you his number. real nice guy and his prices seemed good when i was getting stuff quoted.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    theres a place in near butler that does stuff like that. and some custom fab stuff. called extreme off road. his name is mike. pm me and ill shoot you his number. real nice guy and his prices seemed good when i was getting stuff quoted.
    Does this guy work out of his house? I have heard a few peopls speak of him.

ive seen his ads on CL...what have you heard jeff? good? bad?
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Neither really, just heard the name extreme and that he was around butler.

yeah hes got a shop on his land. pretty much out of his house i guess. from talking with him he seems to be a good guy and a real straight shooter. also, if you have an idea about something being fabbed, hes down for it. and this year hes got plans to build a off road test track for everything you can do to the jeep in the land by his shop. he does things besides jeeps, but he said he loves jeeps cause theyre what he sees mostly. ill be taking what i cant do to him
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

I have dealt with Mike at Extreme Offroad. Hes a nice guy and I got a real sweet deal on a XD9000I winch from him. Anyway, It looks like he wants to get something started and is working out of his garage at home. I picked up a winch and used warn winch plate from him at his place. He said the plate was for a TJ.

Incorrect.

The plate I got from him was actually for a YJ, not even close. Theres $70 not very well spent. I didnt realize this until I got back home in Erie. Now that I think of it I should have taken it back to him when I came up this past weekend to pick up an actual TJ warn winch plate from TJBlair.

Anyone need a YJ warn winch plate?

see if you can ship it back to him?

Thread Information