Thread: Can a bad power steering box/pump cause vibration?

Trail Leader

Can a bad power steering box/pump cause vibration?

Self explanatory question. I have vibration above 40mph. Gets worse faster you go. I know the steering box leaks like crazy. NO vibration upon deceleration.

Any ideas?
    Originally Posted by [B]skeebs[/B]
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dan58;233662]The ugly as hell police says illegal.[/QUOTE]

I would say no
    Sounds like a driveline issue, perhaps a universal joint loose or too tight (no lube)
    Saved by Grace

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation. – James Madison

Trail Leader
    Tranny was just replaced, front diff had bearings replaced and put back together (by a shop)...just did the front axle joints and wheel bearings and all 5 driveshaft U joints...
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

Is the driveshaft out of phase?

Trail Leader
    Idk... i mean it hasnt given me any trouble so far, but i was looking at the angle of the rear and realizing that i have a 2" lift and whoever put it on didnt drop the tcase

Unless you're talking about the weights...they appear fine but i'm not sure.

When did it start?
    After the work was done? Sometimes new parts are not put in right.
    For instance, a new u-joint can be as tight as a rusted old one if the caps are set too deep or the yoke was bent.
    What was the chain of events leading to the vibes?
    Saved by Grace

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation. – James Madison

Trail Leader
    Honestly i'm pretty sure now that it's the PS pump. Reason being it has more power going to it the higher the RPMs. If i push the clutch in and rev it up, it vibrates.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter49 View Post
    Honestly i'm pretty sure now that it's the PS pump. Reason being it has more power going to it the higher the RPMs. If i push the clutch in and rev it up, it vibrates.
    Sitting still it does this?
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter49 View Post

Well possibly.
    Definetly seems narrowed down to something spinning with the engine.

Your pump is under more load when you steer. Does the vibe change when you steer?
    You may want to slack the drive belt and see if the pulley is loose. If the bearings are going out of it it would start leaking.
    It could go catastrophic also so I would check it out.

Is it shifting/clutch working normal
    Was the clutch or flywheel removed when the trans was changed?
    Saved by Grace

Trail Leader
    When I did the tranny I had the flywheel machined and put a new clutch in. Everything was torqued to proper specs.

Yes it vibrates at idle and yes it leaks. Vibration is worse with steering to the right and hard acceleration. Lucas stop leak slowed down the fluid loss considerably, but it still comes out like crazy if I'm on it hard and I can smell it burning (hitting my exhaust?).

Thread Information