Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another YJ im looking at

Less posting, more wheeling!

Talking Yet another YJ im looking at

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1616292723.html

my mustang should sell monday, and i should be looking at it tomorrow. if i like it then ill do the paperwork next weekend. i ended up not getting those other two i was looking at (xj with 6" rough country short arm from connellsville and another yj i think it was- they both sold so i couldnt trade)
    so now im pretty sure my car is going to sell and im looking at this one for 4k. i think its a pretty good base to start with. i priced out some axles, gears and a locker. that should be plenty for now for how often id actually go wheeling.

yall think that 4k for the jeep is a good deal? EVEN IF IT IS A 4CYL
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    Just a thought, I also am looking for a new YJ to build. Just about everything in the rust belt is gonna be, well, rusty.

If your looking for a clean YJ look south. Shipping one from florida is only a couple hundred bucks, and there are quite a few clean ones on craigs list. Both 6cyl and 4cyl. Search on www.craiglook.com. It will search all of craigslist all over the US.

For 4k, you can easily find a rust free YJ from the south.

I'm being really picky, so I am having difficulty finding one I want. But if you just want a clean YJ you will find one in no time and having it shipped is no big deal. Pm me if you want details on shipping, I have shipped a few cars.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

thats definitely not a bad idea. the only problem is this is my DD. i literally cant be without it for one day. other wise id probably have my dad or brother in Texas look for one for me. lets just hope this one has no rust haha
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Haha, that's post #76 in this thread...

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12727
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

haha yeah. i just went and looked at it tonight. runs real good, pretty clean. and i think ive got him down to 3500. or pretty close. so we'll see whats what this week when i have it taken to my mechanic.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1616292723.html

my mustang should sell monday, and i should be looking at it tomorrow. if i like it then ill do the paperwork next weekend. i ended up not getting those other two i was looking at (xj with 6" rough country short arm from connellsville and another yj i think it was- they both sold so i couldnt trade)
    so now im pretty sure my car is going to sell and im looking at this one for 4k. i think its a pretty good base to start with. i priced out some axles, gears and a locker. that should be plenty for now for how often id actually go wheeling.

yall think that 4k for the jeep is a good deal? EVEN IF IT IS A 4CYL

WAIT what? 4,000 Dollars!??? HELL NO! That's TJ territory! I dunno man.... even at 3500... i don't think i'd do it. I regularly see 4 cyl 5 spd TJ's for 1500 or less. That being said, i've also seen them at 5,000+ asking price...

my buddy just picked up a fairly clean 98 sport 5 speed, bone stock, it needed tires, for 3500...

people just went crazy when the snow started falling and are paying big $ for these.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

yeah...i get "thats a lot for that" with pretty much everything im looking at. for a yj with only 110k on the clock, clean, almost brand new tires and a matching spare, with another set of wheels/tires (stockers), and a clean title- i dont think its that bad of a deal. and the insurance is gonna be far cheaper than my mustang i currently have. i dig that its stock besides some daylighters and the wheels/tires.

let me ask you a question man, why would you think thats a little high to be asking?

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    if you find a 4.0 with "high miles" IE 140k or so, thats what people consider high, so they sell cheap, but they run well well past that
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

yeah...i get "thats a lot for that" with pretty much everything im looking at. for a yj with only 110k on the clock, clean, almost brand new tires and a matching spare, with another set of wheels/tires (stockers), and a clean title- i dont think its that bad of a deal. and the insurance is gonna be far cheaper than my mustang i currently have. i dig that its stock besides some daylighters and the wheels/tires.

let me ask you a question man, why would you think thats a little high to be asking?
    I don't know that it's really that high for what it is... but it is a 4 cyl YJ... if that's what you want, then that might be the one for you.

if it were me, i'd be holding out for a 6 cyl TJ... but i like tj's over YJ's. that's just me.

3500-4 grand is TJ money... maybe not during the 3rd snowiest winter in pgh history... but every other time lol

i like the yj's over anything except the cj's. id say anything under 4k is gonna be a good deal for me. i wont be wheeling real hard and with the 4cyl i shouldnt break anything haha. its gonna be more of a dd for now. maybe later on ill do more to it. but all i care to do is a locker in the rear, regear it, and maybe upgrade the axles. then maybe a 3" lift with some 33's. i dunno. maybe i will wheel it harder than i thought lol. but seriously. i think for me, for a base, this is a good start.

i bought mine in 06 for 4 grand

it had a shitty lift, 32" BFG muds, PCW wheels, wider flares 4.0L 5 speed, a brand new sailcloth top BUT it had 147k.

edit: its a 97....so i think you'd be able to find a 6cy 5spd yj a lot cheaper than 4 grand
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

the miles are something i like about it. i figure its not much for a 95. and these 2.5's are pretty sturdy arnt they?

the miles are something i like about it. i figure its not much for a 95. and these 2.5's are pretty sturdy arnt they?

try to find one... they want big $ when they go. i'll never own another. they seem like they either run forever, or blow around 120k

well lets hope this one doesnt blow at 120k haha. and what do you mean "
    try to find one... they want big $ when they go."?

I like it.

you can find a 4.0 for anywhere from 100 to 300 bucks depending on mileage.

my buddy needs a 2.5 for his TJ and he can't find one for under 450 bucks! they didn't put them in as many rigs as the 4.0...

it seems like around 120k is the mileage they go at if they're gonna go. My TJ did it, my buddy's went at 115k, etc.

finally i get one person who says they like it haha

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    He means the motor is expensive to replace when it shits the bed.
    -Ian-

i like it... i'd like it way more for 2500 lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    you can find a 4.0 for anywhere from 100 to 300 bucks depending on mileage.

my buddy needs a 2.5 for his TJ and he can't find one for under 450 bucks! they didn't put them in as many rigs as the 4.0...

it seems like around 120k is the mileage they go at if they're gonna go. My TJ did it, my buddy's went at 115k, etc.

ah ok. i see what u mean. yeah. how difficult is it to swap a 4.0 into the yj? i figure if it blows that would be the time to do it

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    i like it... i'd like it way more for 2500 lol

haha yeah. me too. but hes not a super motivated seller. he just wants a truck. and im a motivated buyer.

LOL, I like it but he brings up some good points about the 2.5 being rare. Take your time and look around. There are better deals to be had. Don't jump on the first thing you find in your price range because it might come back to bite you later on.

If the jeep is rust free and you heard it run than pick it up if you're willing to pay the price tag. otherwise do what was mentioned above and look out of state. I'd look south anyway. JMO.

ah ok. i see what u mean. yeah. how difficult is it to swap a 4.0 into the yj? i figure if it blows that would be the time to do it
    you'd need a new trans/tcase (although you MIGHT be able to get away with the tcase outa the 4, but i've read the input is too small), you'll have to cut the mounts off the frame and weld different ones on, and then deal with all the wiring, etc.

it's not worth it.

yeah i drove it. it drove really well. i gotta get used to a hydro clutch though. its easier but i feel like nothings there. my mustang is a cable clutch and i know exactly what its doing when im pressing the pedal. this is a little different.

im actually having it taken to my mechanic this week so he can look it over before i buy it. i made the mistake of not doing that with my mustang and it bit me hard. like 4k hard with all i had to do to get the car back to right. so if he says its good, then ill go for it.
    Last edited by Dick.Breakey; 02-28-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: cause im ridiculous with word choice

i like it too! dont get the wrong idea...im biased as fuck though...lol

Thread Information