Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project "Phoenix Buggy" The Beast from the East
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "Phoenix Buggy" The Beast from the East

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar

Project "Phoenix Buggy" The Beast from the East

Project Phoenix Buggy: The Beast from the East

Some of you might remember a couple of years ago when I decided to revive my rusty Jeep into a nice and capable vehicle, with the goal of making it to Grand Slam West 2004.

It’s contents have been copied to MallCrawlin as well (hella faster server), more or less as an archive: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3992

I also put together a video of that years crazy trip, which can be downloaded (or $5 for the DVD.)

RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS!

High Resolution – (320 MB) http://www.bigassjeep.com/video/phoenix2004webhigh.wmv
    Low Resolution – (96 MB) http://www.bigassjeep.com/video/phoenix2004weblow.wmv

And the last video is the most recent video of us beginning the buggy build. It’ll probably be the last video for awhile until the project is done, and tested. Then will come the best video yet!

Anyway, RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS! (35 MB) http://www.bigassjeep.com/video/phoenixteaserweb.wmv

So That should bring you up to speed. The Jeep really did better than I imagined and I abused it as it was meant to be abused. I took it to Moab for GSW in 2004 and 2005, as well as a few weeks of other wheeling out west both years. Of course it was amused back east too. I kept breaking it and fixing it.

After abusing it that much, and flexing it (not to mention jumping it) so many times without a cage, it took its toll on the unibody. When it got to the point where I could no longer really open or close the doors without effort, as well as blowing up 2 more ball joints and yet another locker in the front HP30, I decided that enough is enough. I’ve grown accustomed to the type of wheeling which a full bodied ZJ can only survive so many times. My Jeep was well past that “so many times” mark. I felt like I had 3 options: sell it for next to nothing, part it out and get the already destroyed frame hauled off and crushed, or build it into a BUGGY. Being obsessed with offroading, and being rather attached to my ZJ, I chose to buggy it, and build it big to the point where I shouldn’t really have to worry about breaking things so much.

So here’s the plan:

-gut it
    -cut it up almost down to the frame rails
    -Build a full roll cage (you’ll see details on plans for that later)
    -ditch the weak driveline to go with
    -14 bolt rear w/ Detroit locker and disc brakes (4.56)
    -HP60 front from a 79F350 with 35 inners, outers, lockouts, detroit (4.56)
    -Hydro assist steering
    -e350 master cylinder
    -Atlas II transfer case to make up with the relatively high gearing in the axles
    -PRP suspension seats
    -Waterproof sound system
    -41.5” Iroks or TSL’s (still up for debate.)
    -Either driveline brake, or line lock (more likely skid steer) on the rear brake line
    -Radiator and tranny cooler moved to rear / upper cage

I’m sure some of the plan will change throughout the project, but that’s the starting point anyway. I have some talented help, mainly Steve (blackbox renegade) who’s a certified welder and all round likes working on crap as much as I do; and Dave (DMG) who’s a REAL mechanic and good with gears and driveline while I just like to pretend.

First, a few pictures or how it looked in Moab just a few months earlier.

And the darn thing even got a few shots in an issue of 4 Wheel Drive and Sport Utility Magazine. Here’s a link to one of the pics: http://4wdandsportutility.com/freest...ab_02_1280.jpg

So let’s get to it. Day 1: begin parting it out and cutting it. There was a whole lot of shock factor. There’s a video of this day here: (right click save as) http://www.bigassjeep.com/video/phoenixteaserweb.wmv

I consider this thread “chapter 2” of Project Phoenix. It’s the same vehicle (well, kind of) – just the next phase!

I’ll keep updating as things happen.

Here’s the second day of cutting it up. We were hoping to get the front end and back cut down to the frame rails, but Steve felt like crap, I wasn’t motivated, Heidi didn’t know what to do, and Dave was just amused watching us be stupid for a lot of it.

We still got some done, and got to brain storm a little bit.

Ya, I’m cheap enough to save the 50 cents of washer fluid from the reservoir we removed from the ZJ…

SO MANY FREAKING WIRES TO DEAL WITH! In one wiring harness, there’s speaker wires, light wires, tail light wires, FUEL PUMP WIRES, etc. It’s going to be a huge project just figuring out what I need.

I always thought the radiator and fan shroud could be removed while the fan was still installed, I just didn’t think it involved cutting the front crossmember off! That’s the only cutting we did all day, the rest was taking apart the engine compartment and the rest of the interior, except the dash.

This is where we just sat there saying… Now what?

I picked up my new rear axle today. This was a score! Military surplus... It’s a 67.5” wide 14 bolt, STOCK from GM with 4.56 gears, a Detroit locker, Disc brakes, etc. As is, stock from GM. Definitely a rare find.

This thing is 495 pounds as packaged, and 450 pounds out of the crate. I took it out myself too, I was a little too anxious.

Here you can see what was stamped on the box: GM Rear axle destined for the US Military. I think my buggy is a better use!

Here’s after I got it all unpackaged. Steve and I area going all the way up to Buffalo New York tomorrow morning (bright and freaking early) to pick up a pair of 60’s, but the trailer I’m using is SCARY when unloaded. We’re leaving the 14 bolt on it for dead weight.

Here’s after practicing backing up with a trailer, A LOT, haha. I got it about .5” from the tree.

Now time for bed, need to leave here at 7am tomorrow to ALMOST get there on time.

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    I am anxious to see the new axles, I am sure this trip is going to have a whole bunch of intersting stories.

Who wants to take bets on how many times Steve and Matt get pulled over on the way to Buffalo and back? Maybe we an bet on how high the ticket is going to be? Or which state he gets it in?

This could be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by olllllllo
    Who wants to take bets on how many times Steve and Matt get pulled over on the way to Buffalo and back? Maybe we an bet on how high the ticket is going to be? Or which state he gets it in?
    The answers:

Only pulled over once for doing 85 in a 65, ticket is $160ish.
    State = PA.

I ran out of gas.
    We passed a flaming car. Still smoking.
    I dropped a 60 rear off of a dump truck. I almost fell with it. Oops.
    Steve and I also lost our IHOP virginity. DAMN THAT PLACE IS YUMMY!

Other than that, it was the usual BS we both do that would offend about 99.99% of the population. Was definately a fun trip!

I'll have pics up later, can't find my camera's cable. Dang I've got some big axles...

you mean to tell me, you both made it back here alive?
    call me Jordan, not xsjado.

Last Saturday, Steve and I left for a short road trip to Buffalo, New York to pick up a set of front and rear 60’s from a 1979 F350. We’re not planning on using the rear, but it’s being sold as a set, so I figured I’d take it for a boat anchor if nothing else.

We left my house at about 7am, which hurts after a night of drinking! We were making good time, apparently too good considering the ticket I got. I’m not used to how well the WK handles at speed, it’s very quiet and smooth. I ended up breaking 90 a few times, which I’d never do on purpose with a trailer. Oops. That was a $163 lesson.

Here we are getting the axles off of the flatbed onto the trailer. At one point when moving the rear, I was walking forward holding my half, and ran out of truck. Axle went crashing down pretty good, breaking some of the wire mesh on the trailer. Shouldn’t be too bad to fix.

Neither Steve or I had ever been to an IHOP (if you can believe it). We don’t have them anywhere near where we live, and I’ve never found time to stop at one on any of my road trips. While we were there, I parked the WK in a lil’ curb crawling fashion.

Mmmmmmmm IHOP…

Here’s the kicker. After getting a ticket, and breaking the trailer, I did the dumbest thing yet. Since the WK is a company vehicle, and I had the corporate gas card (BP/AMOCO) – I was hoping to go completely free on the gas. I gave it $10 of gas in NY, since there are apparently no BP’s up there. When the gas light came on, I figured it was like my ZJ or WJ and calculated there was a good 5 gallons left. Negative. About 25 miles later the engine shut off, and I got to call AAA. Yes, you can point and laugh now.

As soon as we got back, we cracked open the 14 bolt. We were like kids on Christmas. I was shocked to find what a piece of crap the stock cover in, but the guts made up for it. That’s a Dana 30 ring gear and carrier next to the 14 bolt for comparison. Notice the gear marking compound? It’s been on there for about 19 years from the GM factory.

That’s right, I’ve got new toys!

We set out today to get the Jeep frame up on stands / supports or whatever, and to start all of the electrical wiring to run the tools and heaters we’re going to need in the tent this winter. We went to Home Depot to get ideas, but as soon as we got to my place we pretty much said screw it since we were dying to tear down that Dana 60 front end.

First priority: Move my rear 60 boat anchor. If anyone local would like it (full floater 30 spline) make me an offer.

The front 60 was still a bit to heavy to move easily between the two of us without just hurting ourselves more, so we started tearing it down while it was on the trailer to shave some weight.

Whoever previously owned this was a lazy idiot. Looks like someone lost a snap ring, and instead welded it in place.

Here’s what it’s supposed to look like.

As with any 26 year old axle from the north, this thing is RUSTY. Half of the bolts / studs holding the king pins in wouldn’t budge. We wore down the nuts trying.

It took a few tries welding nuts to them to finally get them to budge. Eventually we had to thread nuts down on the studs, and weld both sides so it wouldn’t sheer off.

Steve suddenly saw another bolt that’d come off and went at it. Back to that whole kids on Christmas thing…

Here’s where I completely frelled up Brandons trailer. I’m sure I’ll have a blast fixing it.

Ya, we made a mess. We had to stop when we came across a bolt on one side we couldn’t budge, not even with my gun. It’s weird, that impact gun has always either removed any bolt I put it on, or snapped it. This thing won’t budge. I’ve been soaking it in PB hoping it comes off tomorrow.

We also don’t have a spindle socket that fits, obviously the one I have for my 30 Warn hub conversion doesn’t fit. So we stopped until tomorrow.

I spent the next few hours cleaning up the shop and organizing tools. It’s nice to have a clean area to work in again.

I wired up both Optima’s to the float charger until they’re put to use again. I’ll probably only go with one battery in the buggy, and throw the other in whatever used tow rig I end up with. These things are a little over 4 years old but still seem as good as new.

Today was “tear down da front 60 day” It’s a mess of rust, and I can’t wait to get it all shined up with new shafts,

I hooked up a TV to the satellite in the garage, can watch Steelers while doing buggy stuff now.

Here’s a couple of comparison pics of the Dana 60 gear/carrier next to the 30’s. Any guesses as to which is which?

Brackets go bye bye.

Old rear 44 axle go bye bye. It’s going to be for sale soon (Superior 4340 shafts, 4.56 spicer gears, bearings all new as of 12,000 miles ago, Detroit locker, ZJ Disc breaks, fabbed up brackets for a TJ sway bar on a ZJ. Buy it.)

Here’s the 44 on the ground a few feet closer than the 14 bolt. I swear the 14 bolt is twice the size. It’s DEFINITELY twice the weight!

The parts are starting to accumulate on the shelves.

Especially the 60 parts. It’s going to take me a whole lot of time to clean that mess up and figure out what I’m reusing.

Web Wheeler!
    man i can't wait to see this thing when its done
    [COLOR=red]If I Wanted a HUMMER...I'd Ask Your Sister or Mom is she's hot! [/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR=sandybrown]My Club:[/COLOR][/B] stagger4x4.com [B][COLOR=sandybrown]My Screen name:[/COLOR][/B] bigblackjeep95

You're assuming it'll get finished, haha. I need to sell off the current driveline before I can do much of anything. Even then I'll still come up short on the hydro steering and the staak box.

First off, Steve found me a sweeeet new seat for the buggy that was about 1/3rd cost because it was installed in a showroom vehicle at 4wd. I dig it. It's my office chair until the buggies ready. I'll need another chair, here's to hoping I come across one cheap!

I haven’t had too much time to work on the buggy project, but I’ve got some done. This is like the last 2 weeks worth of updates. Most of what I’ve done is finish the electrical for the garage and tent as you can see in the following pics:

I should have enough power to run vegas now.

Wire nuts suck.

Wire nuts for 8 gauge wire suck more.

2 outlet boxes mounted on the ceiling for the florescent lights to plug into.

2 dual outlet boxes at either side of the garage, each with 2 separate 20 amp circuits..

Old welder plug in the garage tied in with the tents welder plug now.

Now to get the power out to the garage. This just plain sucked.

All done, and waterproof for when I want to hose down the buggy.

And now for the Jeep stuff. Needed much bigger jack stands, so we welded two of my old wheels together and then a small jack stand on top. I think they’re about 2.5-3 feet high but I didn’t measure. They’re perfect.

Party foul. My bad.

Now that the jeeps up on its own stands, time to take that front axle out.

Steve shined up that old front 60, still needs cleaned a lil’ more and painted up, but he got about 50 pounds of rust and grease off of it.

I have way too many axles right now. In addition to what’s in the garage, I have an extra rear 60, and my old al44 and an old 35 laying around.

We took the cover off of the HP30 expecting to see a busted 30. This is what we found. Yours truly is now on a rampage to argue that the Dana 30 is utterly useless under a heavy vehicle, let alone one with a v8.

This seemed appropriate. I think I’m just going to part the axle out instead of resetting gears just to sell it. I have more on my plate than I can get done anyway.

I decided to hose off the Jeep to clean it up a bit, it was still pretty mud covered. I drilled 6 or so ¼” drain holes when I realized that it didn’t have any.

Why does it always end up being a hovercraft once a year? I seriously hope this buggy build lasts me more than a year, I’m getting kind of sick redoing everything.

My dad cleaned out his garage, and came across a bunch of my old stickers. I started putting them on my tool cabinet. Notice the appropriate addition to the cRusty’s offroad sticker?

That’s all for now. Back at it tomorrow. We’re planning on finally cutting up more of the ZJ. It’s about time, it’s been a MONTH.

Got a lot done today. Started with pulling the gas tank. I thought it would be close to empty, but I think it was about half full or so.

There was enough gas in it to fill up both my Corolla and Steve’s YJ which were both at about half tank.

Then on to cutting up the Jeep. The oxy proved to be the easiest to cut with through the deep / messy stuff that would’ve bent up sawzall blades. The problem is that it runs hot enough to light the herculiner on fire! We had it in some pretty good flames.

We weren’t sure if we were going to be using the rear portion of the frame rails or not, but after seeing them without the floor board above, we decided they’re complete crap and will be cutting from the tranny tunnel back and just building from scratch.

Cut out the rockers too.

That’s right… Planning mode! We planned out most of the rear end and part of the cage. We’re hoping to get the main hoop bent soon so that we can plan better before we get the tubing bender over here that we’re borrowing. The front end.. That’s another story. I don’t even want to think about what we’re doing there just now.

We also got some pounding music in the tent and garage with the extra equipment I had laying around.

Set of good speakers in the tent and garage!

So there it sits until next weekend.

Figures I would miss the free gas weekend!!!

It's looking good! I'm glad you got the heat in the tent.

I do see it more often on stands then on the trails since the most time you spent on the trail wasn't in the state of PA!
    "When you're single, you're exactly as happy as you are.
    When you're married, you can only be as happy as the least happy person in the relationship" -Rules of Engagement

"Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel it's true warmth."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

2000 Grand Laredo 2"BB, 245/75/16 BFG AT/KOs

I'll tell ya... We REALLY had heat in the tent when we lit the Jeep on fire!

I decided it was time to finally get the Corolla back in the garage, and get the blasted axles out of the garage.

I ended up buying a 2 ton engine lift to move them on my own, makes life OH SO MUCH EASIER!

Ya.. I have a few grand of axles sitting in my basement. Some old, some new. Man oh man has this hobby taken over my life over the years.

Today we pretty much just pissed around… I did get a nice industrial kitchen card/table I’ll be u sing as a welding table though. It didn’t have anywhere to clamp the ground clamp, so I welded up a 3/16” piece of steel under it to provide a good clamping surface. Welding 3/16” to 24 gauge or so sheet proved harder than I’d thought, but it came out to be a pretty clean weld. Not like it’s structural anyway!

Notice the nice new chop saw on the bottom of the cart. My latest toy. Oh, I meant tool.

We spent most of the day fixing Steve’s YJ which was running like a paraplegic in the special Olympics. Seemed only fair to help him out once in awhile considering he spends more time wrenching on my Jeep than his. Got that all fixed up, then Jeff and I were just messing around the rest of the night.

Mmmmm… Shop safety is always a concern. And by shop safety, I meant that I was careful not to drop my cigar.

Jeff didn’t drop his either.

Lil’ bastard wouldn’t stay lit!

I did get some good welding practice in at least. Practice in writing my name on an old section of axle tube!

Jeff tried, but mines prettier!

We welded random crap together.. Ya, that was really productive.

When that got old, TO THE JEEP TENT! Mmmmm…alcohol…cigars…..SAWZALL!

That’s all for now, this was the first “play day” I’ve had for over a month. Too busy. Next week I work every day including weekend, but I should earn enough to but everything I need to build my insane front 60. You’ll see, it’ll be pretty. Promise.

Right now I’m really in planning and “acquire parts needed” mode. Soon enough we’ll be in full blown “buggy building” mode.

your kodak dx 4330 really gets around

these threads are entertaining...keep them coming.

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    This has got to be one of the most 56k unfriendly threads EVER!

Thank god I do not have dial up!

Quote Originally Posted by dp
    your kodak dx 4330 really gets around
    Ya, I've got the slut of digital camera's

How'd you know what it was, see it in part of the video or something?

EXIF information in your photos...it's pretty much always embedded in JPEG's -- except if you use certain compression methods like save for web and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by dp
    EXIF information in your photos...it's pretty much always embedded in JPEG's -- except if you use certain compression methods like save for web and so on.
    Ha, I thought that info would've been ripped out when I used FastStone to shrink it. Coolness that it leaves it in.

Mmmm Cigars!

Hey Matt don't block the furnance incase we have to come back out to change your filter!!!
    "When you're single, you're exactly as happy as you are.
    When you're married, you can only be as happy as the least happy person in the relationship" -Rules of Engagement

"Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel it's true warmth."

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

2000 Grand Laredo 2"BB, 245/75/16 BFG AT/KOs

I was supposed to work today. But.. Steve was like “don’t work, it’s nice out, let’s work on the ZJ buggy.” It really didn’t take much convincing, so we put in a good days work, only starting at maybe 1pm.

Anyway, my metal came just about 2 weeks ago on a big truck. The truck had to come down my neighbors driveway and drive across some of the lawn to get to my driveway, otherwise the truck would pretty much be stuck without being able to turn around. The DOM is 1.75” ID 1020 w/ .120 wall. The box is 2x4 ¼” wall. 3/16” would have been just fine, but I wanted a little bit more weight in the rear end since the V8 up front is quite heavy, and ZJ buggies are often too light in the rear.

Measuring for the first cut to actually start ADDING things to the vehicle, instead of just removing them. We were pretty happy at the concept of actually building, instead of just tearing down for once.

Chop saw seems to work quite well!

Prepping the frame rails to weld a piece of box as a cross member. It turned out to be a very good structural starting point for building our frame which all the tube will come off.

While Steve was working on that (he’s the metal God) I decided to start pulling the transfer case, driveshaft’s, skid place, cross member, and tranny mount. It all needs to come out in order to make room for a new Stak transfer case, and some 1410 ujointed shafts.

Steve welding together some of the sheet metal making up the unibody, which separated as we cut it.

Finally! Adding something to the buggy!

First weld came out amazingly well, considering it’s ¼” plate to crappy unibody.

With that new cross member on, we started measuring exactly where the tires would end up, in order to build the box section of the new vehicle.

Yes, we were as excited as we look.

Everyone wants to see the master welding.

We were pretty damn pleased with the final product. It’s a start of what we hope to be a very successful project, and extremely capable ZJ buggy.

I also managed to get out everything I wanted to from under the Jeep while Steve was doing the metal work.

I’ve begun to collect the massive amount of parts we need for this project. I’m now back in “get it done right mode” and as much as I’m shopping around for great prices, I refuse to skimp on this buildup. I intend for this to last me a long, long, long long long long time.

Here is a side shot of my new Dana 60HP Dedenbear knuckles. I couldn’t figure out the missing metal until I talked to them: turns out they use the same casting for Chevy and Ford knuckles: But for the ford caliper brackets to clear, they machine some material off of the knuckle. I think they could’ve at least painted it to make it look like a finished product, but whatever. They’re hella beef.

My cats (this one’s Noel) are enjoying all the Jeep parts: they come in boxes!

Back at it. First thing of the day was Steve capping off the open ended box in the rear end.

Steve decided to get some aggression out with a BFH on the next part of the ZJ getting chopped up.. what was left at the front corner of the rockers.

I FINALLY got my air chisel back, and it came in handy today.

Meanwhile, I finished stripping whatever isn’t needed in the engine bay. We’re about ready to bob the front end when we find time now.

I got pissed at some of the brake line fittings rounding off since I can’t find my brake line tool, so I ended up just taking an angle grinder to them. I guess I need some new lines now!

Since Steve was still busy with metal work and I was kind of stalled on other projects, I decided to start the part I’ve been dreading first. FIGURING OUT WHAT WIRES TO GET RID OF AND WHAT TO KEEP! What a freaking nightmare… I followed the wires, and kind of just kept taking the dash apart as I did. Looks like the whole thing needs to come out to clean up the wiring situation as much as I’d like to. This is going to be a lot of work.

Here’s the pile of all the crap I removed. CB, radio, VIC, light controls, climate controls, all the wood grain, vent cover things, blah blah blah…

And of course, the game in which the PITTSBURGH STEELERS WILL CRUSH THE DENVER BRONCOS is tomorrow, so did a ghetto paint job for our team colors. The final paint job will be the same colors, but done more nicely.

That’s all for now, looks like I’m back to calling around to vendors and getting parts in for the next phase: get wheels and axles under it so we can bend some tube!

Sam Adams octoberfest is good stuff.
    call me Jordan, not xsjado.

Thread Information