Thread: Fly Fishing

Web Wheeler!

Fly Fishing

Anyone here Fly Fish?
    Just started last year and I will pobably" spelling" not throw another worm again.
    Been going to Dunbar Creek and might go there monday after work.
    78 FJ40
    98 RAM
    65 COBRA
    81 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL 850
    80 VIRAGO 920

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I flyfish, that creek is very productive certain times of year. Ive had good luck all through there, but if you park directly across from the entrance to the coal mine on Dunbar Ohiopyle road, and work your way downstream a ways, you can get to relatively untouched water and some great holes and pools. Should be tough navigating it on monday, I don't know what flows are like but it will be SLIPPERY. Be careful and good luck.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Web Wheeler!
    Thanks man
    I usually park between the mine and the entrance to the state game lands. nobody is there usually.
    I will let you know how i do if I go.
    78 FJ40
    98 RAM
    65 COBRA
    81 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL 850
    80 VIRAGO 920

Cool let me know, we'll have to get together and tear sum creeks up.
    94 YJ MTO

Going to Jackson Hole wyoming aug 1 2 3 4 5....with my dad. I hate fishing....ugghhhh

i fly fish alot. lots of good fishing in the mountains around ohiopyle (meadow run, mill run, big sandy, whites creek, and alot of native trout streams that are not well known.

You named some of my favorites! My family is originally from the Uniontown area and my grandparents and other relatives still live down there. I've been stomping around up there chasin rainbows, grouse and deer forever it seems. There is some nice Native fishing around Quebec Run area if your willing to hike. The little sandy hasn't produced for me last few times up there for some reason.
    94 YJ MTO

Web Wheeler!
    awsome
    I will have to check them out!
    I live near Trafford but work in Masontown Pa. and I go past Dunbar every day Those others seam to be close to there also.
    78 FJ40
    98 RAM
    65 COBRA
    81 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL 850
    80 VIRAGO 920

Yeah most of em aren't that far, all of the ones he listed are basically up 40. Elliotsville area, Ohiopyle area, the furthest is Whites Creek, that is basically up 40 and Addison/Listonburg/Unamis area there is a good piece of Whites right there off 523, you go up the road out of Listonburg like your headin for Mt. Davis and make the first right iirc, been years since I was on White's. That is the creek I caught my first rainbow on years ago, I remember it well, opening day and went into Salisbury or Meyersdale for the Maple festival and Pancakes at the Lions. This thread brings the awesomeness.
    Last edited by ridgerunner97; 03-05-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    94 YJ MTO

All good creeks. I love fly fishing but been droppin my line in the ice the last few weeks. They are definitely hungry!

ive hiked 5 different native streams in the past couple of years. the biggest native was about 11 inches but there are tons of smaller ones

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandzj View Post
    ive hiked 5 different native streams in the past couple of years. the biggest native was about 11 inches but there are tons of smaller ones
    I have always wanted to catch a native... Maybe we could set up a Sat/Sun were we could get out and do some fishing. What does everyone think?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    Never caught a native trout in PA. I really didn't even think there was such a thing any longer, just hold-over from previous years. Are they pink inside?

Quote Originally Posted by cjw94xk View Post
    I have always wanted to catch a native... Maybe we could set up a Sat/Sun were we could get out and do some fishing. What does everyone think?
    I'm down whenever I have a free day, kinda hectic for me next few weeks, maybe after opening day?
    94 YJ MTO

there are tons of natives ya just gotta know where they are. not left overs because the streams are not stocked. i would like to get a group together to go sometime.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by grandzj View Post
    i fly fish alot. lots of good fishing in the mountains around ohiopyle (meadow run, mill run, big sandy, whites creek, and alot of native trout streams that are not well known.

i love fly fishing ... but never been to these spots. heard of them, just never went.

been to bunbar ... near the old peachins market. not bad but up stream about 5 mile is better. fly only. but dont go too early ... game officer lives across the bridge and watches the creek hard. i got busted there for fishing there 1 week after stocking it. ... many good fish cought, come legal day to fish there ... nothing over 6''. but still fun !
    OFFROAD
    1988 cherokee chief 4.0 inline 6
    locked front and rear
    35x12.5 r 15
    8.5'' lift

TOW RIG
    1994 chevy 3500 dually
    5.7l 454
    auto trans
    4x4 manual shift

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb1 View Post
    Never caught a native trout in PA. I really didn't even think there was such a thing any longer, just hold-over from previous years. Are they pink inside?
    Pink is an indication that they've been eating freshwater shrimp.

FWIW, I grew up within 5 minutes of PA's best flyfishing stream. It's Yellow Creek's catch and release area in Bedford County.

above, you mentioned parking across from the mine opening...where is this mine opening id like to photograph it thanks!

Its an active mine, and it is just the access road to the mine itself. It's not able to be photographed as far as I know, you could try to drive up to the office and ask but I bet they'd tell ya to get lost because of homeland security or something. PM me NavyCaptain8.
    94 YJ MTO

I just saw the first green drake of the season this morning.It landed on my work truck around 6am.
    I,m on vacation next week and should hit this major hatch just right,last year and the year before I was catching around 50 fish per day on East Hickory creek on rt 666.There,s also a sulpher hatch going on at the same time and they hatch about 2hrs earlier than the drakes so your busy all day with dry flies!

Thread Information