Thread: Ok this ones got me stumped

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! stesul411's Avatar

Ok this ones got me stumped

87 Dodge Dakota 4X4, 3.9 carbed V6, A904/999 auto trans, somewhere around 100K. Recently replaced the trans. Truck running fine till monday night, started surging up hills and when coasting. Today, put truck in gear and it shuts off, then hard to restart, acts like it's flooded.

Any ideas?????

Gotta get it running before Sunday night.
    I don't suffer from insanity........................I enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.bigrubbers4x4.org"]www.bbnt4x4.org[/URL]

Big vacuum leak?

Ya know that's a possibility, he hit a few big drifts on monday and a broom to sweep the snow from under the hood. But I don't think that's it, it idles cold right at 900-1000 rpm and hot at 700-900 rpm, just like i set it.

Actually, the hard restart isn't my big worry, it's whats killing the engine when he puts it in gear.

Another problem is truck is 40 miles away and I'm not gonna be able to get to it till tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by stesul411; 03-05-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    I don't suffer from insanity........................I enjoy every minute of it!!!!!!!!!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    to me this sounds fuel related, if it is idling ok, it probably isn't vacuum. It sounds like it isn't able to put enough fuel in under a load, or too much.

Pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. when you put it back together, check the float level. Makes sure that it is correct.
    [CENTER]-1976 CJ7 Body sitting on 79 full size Bronco Chassis 400 big block, OnBoard Air, 9" rear, Dana 44 front, 4spd, T-18 w/granny, [SIZE=2][B]Twin Sticked NP205[/B][/SIZE], 33" Tires, Fiberglass Body, HEI ignition
    [/CENTER]

-2000 F350 Extended cab long box. V10. "The Pig"
    [CENTER]
    [COLOR=#000080]
    [B][FONT=arial black][FONT=Arial]"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [FONT=Arial][I]~Theodore Roosevelt~

[/I][/FONT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]For all you Construction needs: 724-49-BUILD[/COLOR][/B]
    [/CENTER]

NEVER MIND, it's fixed.
    Apparently he decided to change the dist cap to try to fix the hesitation/surge and got the plug wires out of order. When you only have 2 out of 6 wires on in the right place, weird things happen. OH yah, he was positive he had them right. I kicked him in the *** HARD.

Funny thing is, at idle you would never know it was only running on 2 cylinders.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    thats funny. i wouldnt have thought that. i know when my mustang was missing on a single cylinder my car shook like it had a wicked cam in it
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Thread Information