Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheeling spots

Web Wheeler!

Wheeling spots

Hello fellow offroaders.

A friend of mine just got suprised with a 2004 Wrangler. I want to take her and a couple of her friends wheeling. We're all located around the Connellsville Area. I do know of Casparis and Creek Falls, but we all decided on something easy first, as it would be our first time out. I'm not sure of the difficulty at Casparis, but I've heard that Creek Falls isn't real easy. I do know a little about offroading because I've been riding quad trails for a few years. The line up would be my WJ or XJ, an XJ, a TJ, and a KJ. I'm not fond of the KJ going though. I'd rather have the KJ's owner to ride along with someone.

Thanks in advance,
    -Justin
    My rigs:
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 242. Mods: Firestone Destination A/T, Kolak 2.5" exhaust system, K&N FIPK, Euro taillights, Pioneer Head unit, Sony 10 disc CD changer, F/R Addco anti-sway bars, Westin Safari Bar with Hella 500 lights, Pilot Foglights,
    04 Impala LSS Mods: GMPP exhaust, GMPP handling kit, WizAired CAI, Green Performance air filter.
    78 Chevrolet Impala. Green on Green. 305 Restoration underway....

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    When we're talking about all stock Jeeps hitting easy beginner trails, the KJ is fine. All the hype about them sucking offroad is a little overdone... they certainly are at disadvantage compared to its brethren but it does just fine on stock trails. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Creek Falls is certainly not a good place for beginners... lots of mud and a few tricky spots there. Some mudholes will swallow a stock Jeep there. Besides that, the trails are rumored to be closed now.

There are plenty of trails of all difficulties in the Casparis area. You can run them all the way from South Connellsville up the mountain and come out at Sandy Flats in stock Jeep easily (with only one tough but doable hill climb), but you'll have to know all the right turns. It's practically a maze back there and one wrong turn can land you in a trail that's way out of your league. I would suggest running these with someone who's familiar with the area so that you don't end up somewhere you don't want to be.

For a good stocker run without someone guiding you, I would suggest Bidwell. Certainly not as long as Casparis or Creek Falls, but it's entirely stock friendly. It's an out-and-back trail that goes through a valley from a high slope in Ohiopyle down to the river to an old ghost town. Lot's of stream crossings but the water is only 3 or so inches deep so its's nothing to worry about. It's a public right-of-way as well so you won't have to worry about and trespassing issues.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    I too would suggest Bidwell as a beginner run without knowing the area. Keep in mind, when you get to the train tracks you can go left or right, but you won't want to. If you go right the trail just ends. If you go left there is a large rock in the way. Turning around is not easy as the trail is narrow. One thing to keep in mind. Actual Bidwell road is an easy but bumpy ride and chances of scratches are minimal. If you do decide to take a right or left at the tracks, chances of scratches are guaranteed.

The trails at Ligonier might be a good option too if you go in the Gamelands entrance. It’s stock friendly and chances of scratches and damage are low depending on the trails you take. I am planning on taking a run there soon, if you would like to come a long.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman
    I too would suggest Bidwell as a beginner run without knowing the area. Keep in mind, when you get to the train tracks you can go left or right, but you won't want to. If you go right the trail just ends. If you go left there is a large rock in the way. Turning around is not easy as the trail is narrow. One thing to keep in mind. Actual Bidwell road is an easy but bumpy ride and chances of scratches are minimal. If you do decide to take a right or left at the tracks, chances of scratches are guaranteed.

The trails at Ligonier might be a good option too if you go in the Gamelands entrance. It’s stock friendly and chances of scratches and damage are low depending on the trails you take. I am planning on taking a run there soon, if you would like to come a long.
    What and I'm not invited to come?

Which reminds me... I could probably trail guide for you guys if you catch me on the right weekend/time. Sundays for me are out until mid-June when the soccer season ends.

Also to follow up Muz's tips for running Bidwell... after about a mile and a half you will come to a split... you can go either way. The right fork goes uphill to an area known as Cave Hollow. It's a dead-end but it has two fun little hill climbs you can try. The left fork will bring you back down to the train tracks/river and as Muz mentioned you really don't want to follow the trail beyod there. The big mudhole on the left is fair game but be careful with it...
    Last edited by TimMichaels; 04-14-2006 at 07:52 PM.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    can someone pm me directions to this bidwell place.

Web Wheeler!
    Thanks guys. I know the Ohiopyle area pretty good. How do you get to Bidwell? It sounds like it'll be good to get into wheeling. Does anyone have any pictures of that trail? Tim, if we get this ball rolling your assistance may be needed.

Thanks again
    Last edited by VanderbiltJeep87; 04-14-2006 at 09:53 PM.
    My rigs:
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 242. Mods: Firestone Destination A/T, Kolak 2.5" exhaust system, K&N FIPK, Euro taillights, Pioneer Head unit, Sony 10 disc CD changer, F/R Addco anti-sway bars, Westin Safari Bar with Hella 500 lights, Pilot Foglights,
    04 Impala LSS Mods: GMPP exhaust, GMPP handling kit, WizAired CAI, Green Performance air filter.
    78 Chevrolet Impala. Green on Green. 305 Restoration underway....

Official Meet and Greet Coordinator Alley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VanderbiltJeep87
    Hello fellow offroaders.

A friend of mine just got suprised with a 2004 Wrangler. I want to take her and a couple of her friends wheeling. We're all located around the Connellsville Area. I do know of Casparis and Creek Falls, but we all decided on something easy first, as it would be our first time out. I'm not sure of the difficulty at Casparis, but I've heard that Creek Falls isn't real easy. I do know a little about offroading because I've been riding quad trails for a few years. The line up would be my WJ or XJ, an XJ, a TJ, and a KJ. I'm not fond of the KJ going though. I'd rather have the KJ's owner to ride along with someone.

Thanks in advance,
    -Justin

Well justin I do however believe both places ye mentioned you can't wheel anyway...Creek falls is closed for sure and I'm pretty sure most of the casparis area is shut down too...

The KJ will do fine stock. If they have skid plates and at least the factory rock rails, they can go anywhere a stock TJ can go. A KJ with a 2.5" lift will go anywhere a 2.5" lifted TJ will go, and might even be able to do better than the TJ. Come on over to www.lostkjs.com and check us out. You might be suprised. Don't forget to let your KJ friend know.
    Last edited by Guyute1210; 04-15-2006 at 07:52 PM.
    -nate
    2005 Renegade 3.7L V-6 4x4, Dark Khaki, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Full Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R's
    My Cardomain: [url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2072883[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by VanderbiltJeep87
    Thanks guys. I know the Ohiopyle area pretty good. How do you get to Bidwell? It sounds like it'll be good to get into wheeling. Does anyone have any pictures of that trail? Tim, if we get this ball rolling your assistance may be needed.

Thanks again
    It's an excellent place to get your feet wet. It's all rather easy and it really gives you that Jeep trail ride feel... it's a nice mountain trail through a forest rather than just a bunch of mudholes or something. Another good thing about it is that you have the whole park to enjoy when you get off the trail. If you enjoy Bidwell then you can start planning for places like Capsaris etc.

Jason (Muzikman) has some pictures from our last run with another Xterra. You can see them here http://jbeamphotos.com/gallery/Bidwell_03-12-06 but don't worry about those tight trails or the nasty-looking hill climbs... they're off on those side trails along the river that you don't want to take.

As for the location, if you have a map of the Ohiopyle park it's listed on the north side of the river as a "High Clearance Vehicles" road. It's a dotted line running north to south. If you want directions, feel free to PM me... it's typically a bad idea to post directions to trails on a public forum.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Quote Originally Posted by Alley
    Well justin I do however believe both places ye mentioned you can't wheel anyway...Creek falls is closed for sure and I'm pretty sure most of the casparis area is shut down too...
    Correction, the caves (man made mines actually) were blasted closed, and all side trails near the caves and leading up to the caves & reservoir are blocked & posted. That section is only about 25% of the mountain, and there are loads more trails from mild to wild up there. You will see sign after sign for Nicholson Lumber, who are cool with wheelers as long as we keep it clean. Speaking of which, I walked a trail up there yesterday to pick up cans especially (65 cents a pound now), and had the lovely pleasure of seeing a baby snake tongue flicking out at me when I picked up a Bud Light can! Yick....

And the situation at creek falls is the same as it's been off and on for the last 10 years or so that I've been going there. Unfortunately they have even more ammo because the rate of dumped appliances, tires, and car hulks has skyrocketed. The falls are privately owned, and the road in is a township road, and I can find no information on legal action taken to vacate it. So knowing past experience, they block it off to scare people away, but they really have no legal right to fine anybody for being there. Of course, as with Casparis, there is a big chunk of game lands adjacent to it. So yeah, it's a good idea to have a guide along if you are unfamiliar with either area. Justin, Danielle or whoever, PM me if you ever need a wheeling buddy. I'm in these woods & quite a few other local places constantly.

Goo:

Thanks for the info!! Very helpful...

Quote Originally Posted by bookfiend
    Correction, the caves (man made mines actually) were blasted closed, and all side trails near the caves and leading up to the caves & reservoir are blocked & posted. That section is only about 25% of the mountain, and there are loads more trails from mild to wild up there. You will see sign after sign for Nicholson Lumber, who are cool with wheelers as long as we keep it clean. Speaking of which, I walked a trail up there yesterday to pick up cans especially (65 cents a pound now), and had the lovely pleasure of seeing a baby snake tongue flicking out at me when I picked up a Bud Light can! Yick....

And the situation at creek falls is the same as it's been off and on for the last 10 years or so that I've been going there. Unfortunately they have even more ammo because the rate of dumped appliances, tires, and car hulks has skyrocketed. The falls are privately owned, and the road in is a township road, and I can find no information on legal action taken to vacate it. So knowing past experience, they block it off to scare people away, but they really have no legal right to fine anybody for being there. Of course, as with Casparis, there is a big chunk of game lands adjacent to it. So yeah, it's a good idea to have a guide along if you are unfamiliar with either area. Justin, Danielle or whoever, PM me if you ever need a wheeling buddy. I'm in these woods & quite a few other local places constantly.
    From what I've been told Creek Falls has been closed off with jersey barriers and the like. I've talked to members of the sportsmans club that own that land and they certainly don't want people back there due to the garbage. It was a unanimous decision from what I've been told.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

PghOffRoad Old Schooler BigZees's Avatar
    I am real familiar with the C-Ville area myself. I have lead groups through that area for years, have made quite a few trails myself. There is quite a bit of territory there. I may be taking some trips down that way soon. I'll keep you guys posted as to when I am going to go.
    Is that a Staun Deflator in your pocket or are you just glad to see me???

Quote Originally Posted by TimMichaels
    From what I've been told Creek Falls has been closed off with jersey barriers and the like. I've talked to members of the sportsmans club that own that land and they certainly don't want people back there due to the garbage. It was a unanimous decision from what I've been told.
    I'm agreeing with you that it is closed, the roads in are currently barricaded but I don't think it will remain that way. Unfortunately, if something is not done about the garbage, it's hopeless.

The gun club is free to post both sides of the road along their section of property, and pile brush and boulders to block any side trails that enter the property. But they can't block a township road that a number of other properties are accessed by.

It is the same precarious situation as Hawkins Hollow. The public is allowed to ride on the road, but no one is allowed to camp, party, swim, and of course litter. There are state cops, rent-a-cops, and fish and game wardens around lately, at Hawkins they've handed out flyers at the entrance on holidays, but they let vehicles through.

I've never been to Wellsville, but I was just reading the recent threads about cleanups being held there and how successful they are. Creek Falls desperately needs something like this to happen there! I don't have a truck to haul with, but I'll bring a full set of torches to help make the junk more manageable. I got $37.70 today for 58 pounds of aluminum cans, one Grand Cherokee load. Donating the scrap money to local fire departments is a great idea too, they are the folks that will make sure the township roads are accessible. I've seen it happen firsthand up in Casparis, a couple of my friends are volunteers, and they can't get in to fight brush fires if the roads are blocked.

Interesting you should bring up Wellsville. People put a ton of work into cleaning up Wellsville and in my mind it's a waste. It's private land that they charge you to use. As long as they are making money, I don't see them closing it down due to beer cans. Creek Falls, Connelsville, Ligonier, etc, they will and have closed because of litter. I really want to organize some clean up runs this summer for the public lands that can be closed down because of the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by bookfiend
    I'm agreeing with you that it is closed, the roads in are currently barricaded but I don't think it will remain that way. Unfortunately, if something is not done about the garbage, it's hopeless.

The gun club is free to post both sides of the road along their section of property, and pile brush and boulders to block any side trails that enter the property. But they can't block a township road that a number of other properties are accessed by.

It is the same precarious situation as Hawkins Hollow. The public is allowed to ride on the road, but no one is allowed to camp, party, swim, and of course litter. There are state cops, rent-a-cops, and fish and game wardens around lately, at Hawkins they've handed out flyers at the entrance on holidays, but they let vehicles through.

I've never been to Wellsville, but I was just reading the recent threads about cleanups being held there and how successful they are. Creek Falls desperately needs something like this to happen there! I don't have a truck to haul with, but I'll bring a full set of torches to help make the junk more manageable. I got $37.70 today for 58 pounds of aluminum cans, one Grand Cherokee load. Donating the scrap money to local fire departments is a great idea too, they are the folks that will make sure the township roads are accessible. I've seen it happen firsthand up in Casparis, a couple of my friends are volunteers, and they can't get in to fight brush fires if the roads are blocked.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Interesting you should bring up Wellsville. People put a ton of work into cleaning up Wellsville and in my mind it's a waste. It's private land that they charge you to use. As long as they are making money, I don't see them closing it down due to beer cans.
    You get charged to go to Wellsville? It is NOT PRIVATE LAND unless you're going in through the camping ground entrance. They have no right to charge you unless you're crossing their land.

When everyone was getting charged (as far as I know) was when the railroad tracks were being patrolled daily. Technicaly we're not supposed to drive over the tracks at that section to the staging area, but it IS the main entrance as far as most of us are concerned.

The problem is, with as much as I hate Wellsville, it really is the only place to present much of a challenge within hours...

Ligonier, Conneslville, etc... a bunch of dirt roads with about (1) obsticle that's worth it.

Interesting you should bring up Wellsville. People put a ton of work into cleaning up Wellsville and in my mind it's a waste. It's private land that they charge you to use. As long as they are making money, I don't see them closing it down due to beer cans. Creek Falls, Connelsville, Ligonier, etc, they will and have closed because of litter. I really want to organize some clean up runs this summer for the public lands that can be closed down because of the garbage.
    Oh how I wish it were only beer cans that needed to be picked up I try to put a dent in it every time I go, and yes, it seems like it appears faster than myself and a few friends can make it disappear. The bigger problem lately has been whole appliances, tires, burnt cars and trucks. A lot of scrap, hard to remove.

We should be able to assemble a small army of volunteers, I think that many people want to keep these places open. It may seem like a waste if the garbage keeps appearing, but look at the public highways. The Adopt a highway programs have to be ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    The problem is, with as much as I hate Wellsville, it really is the only place to present much of a challenge within hours...

Ligonier, Conneslville, etc... a bunch of dirt roads with about (1) obsticle that's worth it.
    Have you ever been to Westco? It's a closed membership club, but I know a few members and they will often invite a bunch of folks up to ride. Of course, we're going off topic, as you probably will break something up there. I believe the OP was bringing a no-ground-clearance-KJ and wanted the milder dirt roads???

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    Keep in mind, not everyone is rollin' on 42's. I'm 11" smaller than you... Waiting for it.. waiting for it.. OH!

Anyhow, Dave would be lucky to get half way through C-ville with the way the YJ is configured. While it's not challenging to everyone, short Jeeps still have a fun time with it.

My 2c.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens
    Keep in mind, not everyone is rollin' on 42's. I'm 11" smaller than you... Waiting for it.. waiting for it.. OH!

Anyhow, Dave would be lucky to get half way through C-ville with the way the YJ is configured. While it's not challenging to everyone, short Jeeps still have a fun time with it.

My 2c.
    I found all of the above boring when I was on 31's

You also have to remember, some of us wheel our DD.

I have been to Wellsville once. The entrance we came in you were suppost to pay, but no one was there. I have heard from many people that there are three land owners there that try to charge you. Don't know if that is true or not.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Hey, I spent about 6 hours at wellsville doing that cleanup we are all talking about. I'm not against cleaning up the places we go regardless of who owns them or doesn't. They might not close down wellsville because of the trash but, who wants to go where there are broken bottles and cans everywhere? Its not the outlook on nature I want to see. So, someone actually made an effort to plan a clean up and followed through. If someone actually posts a date and time for a clean up of any other area I will put in my time and effort there too. I often see a whole bunch of talk but, no follow through! I'm not familiar or close enough with any of these areas to do it myself but, I'll certainly do my best to show up and put a good days work in.

It was my DD, haha

Quote Originally Posted by TimMichaels
    It's an excellent place to get your feet wet. It's all rather easy and it really gives you that Jeep trail ride feel... it's a nice mountain trail through a forest rather than just a bunch of mudholes or something. Another good thing about it is that you have the whole park to enjoy when you get off the trail. If you enjoy Bidwell then you can start planning for places like Capsaris etc.

Jason (Muzikman) has some pictures from our last run with another Xterra. You can see them here http://jbeamphotos.com/gallery/Bidwell_03-12-06 but don't worry about those tight trails or the nasty-looking hill climbs... they're off on those side trails along the river that you don't want to take.

As for the location, if you have a map of the Ohiopyle park it's listed on the north side of the river as a "High Clearance Vehicles" road. It's a dotted line running north to south. If you want directions, feel free to PM me... it's typically a bad idea to post directions to trails on a public forum.

I've been on those trails numerous times, but have never seen a ghost town or a graveyard. Which trail is that stuff off?

You can run the creek between crossings in a couple of spots. Pretty hard stuff.

Going up the trail past the big puddle next to the tracks could be very expensive if you happened across a game warden. Thats state game lands up there.
    A bad day of wheelin' is still better than a good day at work

You have a jeep, that's so cute so does barbie.

'89 Toyota P/U 3.0 5 speed
    custom bumpers, sliders
    33x13.50 Super Swamper LTB

'03 Dodge Dakota 32" BFG AT DD

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb
    I've been on those trails numerous times, but have never seen a ghost town or a graveyard. Which trail is that stuff off?

You can run the creek between crossings in a couple of spots. Pretty hard stuff.

Going up the trail past the big puddle next to the tracks could be very expensive if you happened across a game warden. Thats state game lands up there.
    Driving in the creek is expensive too if you happened across a park ranger. You can't stray off of designated roads on state park property, which is what surrounds the trail going in. Not to mention you really shouldn't drive in stream beds like that...

In any case, I wouldn't worry about taking that trail through the gamelands. Like the trail that comes through the state park, that trail is a township road. Not a lot they can do.

As for the graveyard etc... there are actually two graveyards. I'm working on finding the one which is apparently from the old church that was down there. The other me and Muz have been too... it's up the hill from the side trail into the gamelands. It's smaller and appears to be a family's private cemetery. Along the way there are some old stone walls. Where the trail reaches the railroad tracks is where the telegraph office, train station, and general store once were, though I haven't come across any traces of them. If you follow the trail from the tracks west toward the Victoria are (following the river downstream) it dead-ends at some old foundations. There's some more old foundations down at the Victoria Flats.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Thread Information