Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Rear Axle Opinions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Axle Opinions

Trail Leader

Rear Axle Opinions

So the next thing on the list of s*** to go wrong is my spider gears in the rear carrier are shot. I was thinking about scrounging up the cash over the next few pays and getting an ARB for it. My only thing is that I dont have the cash to do a disc brake conversion and to upgrade to the D60 shafts with it. I need some input as to whether my stock shafts will survive with a 2" lift and 31's.....

If the stock shafts arent gonna be good enough, I'm not gonna bother because I dont have the cash to shell out $3000 for everything I'd need to do...
    Originally Posted by [B]skeebs[/B]
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dan58;233662]The ugly as hell police says illegal.[/QUOTE]

Previously: 91brokewrangler

This is what happens with stock shafts... How much money are you looking to spend? my buddy has a for 9 inch with arb that is shortened that are under a tj for sale. he is putting 60's under his. I would avoid putting a locke in there with stock shafts because it is a waste of a day when you break.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I would not put a locker in a dana 35, but with 31" tires you shouldn't have a problem if you know your limitations. BDS ran Ultimate Adventure up at Eau Claire last year with a TJ with stock axles 30/35. I have a set of gears for a 35 if you want them. It has 3.07 gears, but its a good carrier. Drop me a PM
    My liver has a restraining order against me for abuse.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    so the only thing ive got going for me with this ford is i come stock with a pair of 8.8's under the truck haha. less chance of breaking for sure. but that ifs is bound to shi* its self one day. maybe look for an 8.8 tho. they are super cheap and are everywhere cause everything from the 94 up mustang to the explorer had it under it. you can probably search around to find one with a width at least close to what you need. worst case is you do just shorten it, if your up for it.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't spend the money shortening an 8.8... you might as well go 9".

You could always try to find a steel D44 for the rear end.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMayham View Post
    I would not put a locker in a dana 35, but with 31" tires you shouldn't have a problem if you know your limitations. BDS ran Ultimate Adventure up at Eau Claire last year with a TJ with stock axles 30/35. I have a set of gears for a 35 if you want them. It has 3.07 gears, but its a good carrier. Drop me a PM
    No the BDS jeep had a super35 shafts and a detroit. 4:88.

For 31's you well be fine with the stock shafts, even locked. Not saying that you can't break them. dont be a hammer head you should be fine.
    I have run stock shafts in my 35 and 30 for two years on 35"s. I have only broke One rear axel shaft and none on the front.(which will prolbably change after this year) I don't take it to easy on it either.
    Last edited by tjblair; 03-31-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Trail Leader
    Time out - i dont have a D35 i have a D44 rear, D30 front, 3:73 ratio. Will I be okay? I was considering a cheaper Powertrax locker, similar to the Detroit Soflocker.
    Originally Posted by [B]skeebs[/B]
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dan58;233662]The ugly as hell police says illegal.[/QUOTE]

To run 31's you will be fine.you may want to regear. and throw the lockers in at the same time.
    Last edited by tjblair; 04-01-2010 at 06:53 AM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    The D44 will be fine. You could add a set aftermarket shafts and keep the stockers for trail spares if it will ease your mind, but there are guys running 35's reliably on the D44. Toss an aussie locker in it and be done with it.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

Quote Originally Posted by notmYJ View Post
    The D44 will be fine. You could add a set aftermarket shafts and keep the stockers for trail spares if it will ease your mind, but there are guys running 35's reliably on the D44. Toss an aussie locker in it and be done with it.
    Agreed, but I would ad the front lunchbox locker, and a 2wd low kit. before I got the axels.

Quote Originally Posted by YJBIZ View Post

This is what happens with stock shafts... How much money are you looking to spend? my buddy has a for 9 inch with arb that is shortened that are under a tj for sale. he is putting 60's under his. I would avoid putting a locke in there with stock shafts because it is a waste of a day when you break.
    Did that occur at the BDS outback adventure? I remember seeing a wrangler with a broken shaft.....

I ran a locked D35 with 31x11.5s on a V8 ZJ without much regard to "taking it easy". It held up.

Let off the gas before it starts bouncing. Shock loads are the reason most axles break (of course that's not the only reason, but it's one of the main reasons). Bouncing can create the shock loads tht break shafts.

For as cheap/easy as it should be to replace the spider gears, I don't see a reason to upgrade being on 31s. I would consider a lunchbox locker over an ARB for resale value if you want to lock it. But ARBs are a nice convenience on the trails.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-31-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Aussie Locker and be done. Thats what I did on the scout when mine spiders went bad. When you order the locker get an extra set of springs and pins that way you wont have to wait if they go bad. And just get new thrust washers they are like 7 bucks and will save you a ton of hassle if yours are the slightlest bit warped.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

i ran 37's locked with a lockrite and geared with my stock TJ D44. had no issues
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

i would think that for the price of an arb and compressor for teh 35 you could swap in an exploder 8.8
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    Giblet, re read the thread. He has a D44, not a 35. Some of the TJ's came with D44, unlike the YJ's that were all D35's.

On a side note, you need any parts? I got some rockers that I am gonna be posting for sale soon, along with some upper doors with sliders.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

Previously: LB Offroader
    ARB is having a special right now, buy one locker and get their $135 compressor free. Buy 2 lockers and get their $300 compressor + the tire inflation kit free. If you decide to regear in the near future, you will need a different carrier/locker for the rear D44. The front D30 doesnt need changed (carrier). Mine damn near exploded on me a few weeks ago so I had to make some decisions rather quickly. I went with 4.56 and an ARB in the rear. Aussie came out of the front and will put an ARB in the front once I recover from this expense. I am around $1200 in parts right now to give you an idea what regearing, axle rebuild kits and an ARB cost. Doesn't include labor in shimming the gears/install.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    so the only thing ive got going for me with this ford is i come stock with a pair of 8.8's under the truck haha.

Lucky, you got 6x6. You ever take it off any sweet jumps?
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=paleturquoise]If everyone was just like you then what would we need you for?[/COLOR][/FONT]

If you have a D44 your going to be fine with stock parts till 35's easy. 373's are going to be good till 33's. Your wasting your time putting disc brakes on it if your only running 31's The drums will be fine if they are in good working order and adjusted correctly. I'd put a Aussie or a lock rite in it and call the project done. Worry about it when you go bigger or have the $$ to spend. IMHO a rear selectable locker is wasted $$. You don't need to turn it off. I'd spend the $$ on a selectable for the front and leave a full detroit or a lunch box in the rear.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    a rear selectable locker is wasted $$. You don't need to turn it off. leave a full detroit or a lunch box in the rear.
    Agreed! espiceally on 31"s

I like the lunchbox locker in the front though. For less than the price of the selectable you can swap out the spiders and ad a 2wd low kit. That way you dont have to reset the backlash(not that it is a huge deal). This is how I have had mine for a wihile. It works just as well as a selectable,(at half the price) and you pick up rear dig.
    Last edited by tjblair; 04-01-2010 at 07:29 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    I'm running 36" iroks on stock 44 rear shafts with a detroit and 4.56's. you'll be fine with repairing the 44. I just got rid of the last set of spiders I have for a 44 or I could fix you up.

Locker wise, I would have to say that the people who say not to run a selectable locker have never ran one. I'd love to have another ARB in the rear of my CJ.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

Quote Originally Posted by mxg342 View Post
    I would have to say that the people who say not to run a selectable locker have never ran one..
    I have Installed, driven, and repared plenty of ARB's they are nice. but you can acomplish the same thing on a budget. Have you ever ran a 2wd low kit and lunchbox style locker in front. it works exactly the same. You can easily shift between 2low and 4low while moving. And there are airlines to leak or compressoor to run. And only running 31's even 33's I don't think that you need the strenth full case locker. JMHO
    Last edited by tjblair; 04-01-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Jeff, Im installing an Aussie in the front of my scout, do you think a twin stick transfer case is the only way to go? Are you suggesting this because of the decreased wear on the front or..... am I missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    I have Installed, driven, and repared plenty of ARB's they are nice. but you can acomplish the same thing on a budget. Have you ever ran a 2wd low kit and lunchbox style locker in front. it works exactly the same. You can easily shift between 2low and 4low while moving. And there are airlines to leak or compressoor to run. And only running 31's even 33's I don't think that you need the strenth full case locker. JMHO
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

The twin stick(in your case) Or a 2wdlow on a 231 allows your to pop it in to 2low the disenguage the front axel to make turns in the woods.

Ok, I guess ill run it and see what happens, I can twin stick it pretty cheap, just didnt wanna deal with it lol.
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]

Thread Information