Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My new, wait... now old radiator

Thread: My new, wait... now old radiator

Less posting, more wheeling!

My new, wait... now old radiator

You think your luck stinks...
    installed a new fan clutch last week. Radiator shit out yesterday. Installed a new one this morning.
    I burped the air out, let it idle for 20 mins or so and it was good.
    Hopped in with the girls and headed out. Got about 4 miles down the road and it was overheating.
    Pulled over and this is what I found. With water leaking out. Yeah, busted right through it.
    Not really sure what happened to be honest. The fan clutch is tight, the radiator doesnt move at all.
    Im pretty confused.

Sucks. Bad motor mounts?
    [U][quote]An operation this size you don't know who's after you. It could be the ATF, FBI... ****in' Patrik Swayze... who knows?[/quote][/U]

I was thinking that but two things tell me its not along with a visual inspection.

1. - When I throttle the motor it doesnt move hardly at all.
    2. - The previous radiator wasnt marked up at all in this area and it went through way more abuse then this one seen on 4-5 miles of road.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    X2 motor mount. you have to check them with it in gear. have someone get in the jeep and put one foot on the break and spike the gas. Like your doing a brake torque. It should be pretty obvious if it has a bad motor mount.

Side note I never understood why they call it a motor mount. It should be an engine mount . Unless its an electric car.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Ill try that but I really dont believe its bad. Like I said, the old one had no damage at all in this area and it seen way more abuse. Hell, when I set the airbag off it never touched the radiator and that fan clutch was really loose.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    What are those tabs for? They look extra, break them off!
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=paleturquoise]If everyone was just like you then what would we need you for?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
    Ill try that but I really dont believe its bad. Like I said, the old one had no damage at all in this area and it seen way more abuse. Hell, when I set the airbag off it never touched the radiator and that fan clutch was really loose.
    That doesn't mean that it hasen't gone bad since then. Either way it's easy to check.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

I dont know, they were not on the other one. I plan on taking the cutoff wheel to them when I replace this radiator.

If it had a bad mm before and the clutch didn't have those tabs I might not have hit.

Ive driven it for the past two weeks with those tabs on and the old radiator. It never hit it at all.

I dont know... Ill check the mounts again.

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    If it had a bad mm before and the clutch didn't have those tabs I might not have hit.

this is true
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

when you do make sure to also check it in reverse and drive.

Might be a good time to ditch the mechanical and put in an electrical fan. You'll be in there anyway.

i already have an efan next to it.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Ask me how I know....you didn't happen to accidentally leave a tool in there when you buttoned it up - it falls down, lodges between rad and clutch tabs, screams across the rad, then out. Just a really wild guess if you can't replicate what appears to have happened.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Haha, nagh. I triple checked before I closed the hood. Since I put the winch bumper on, I quit using the motor as a table and use the bumper now. lol

Thread Information