Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to build a snorkel for the F-150... Yeah, im nuts

Less posting, more wheeling!

Want to build a snorkel for the F-150... Yeah, im nuts

not anymore. thanks for the GREAT help yall haha
    Last edited by Dick.Breakey; 03-23-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

ive never seen snorkels on much other than true 4x4's(jeeps, hummers, military, etc.) but if you watch top truck alotta guys just use PVC or dryer vent hose... personally, i hate the way PVC looks but if youve got enough skill and a propane torch you can bend PVC.....

i made a full-scale model bike outta PVC so dont flame
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
    ive never seen snorkels on much other than true 4x4's(jeeps, hummers, military, etc.)
    you. hahaha.

but i dont want pvc. i dont like the look. id like some other sort of plastic or something.

OR SOMETHING

hahaha. i just saw that and had to use it
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

BANNED USER
    I have a home made snorkel on my TJ, easy n cheap, dont use pvc it will crack under pressure, use 2" black ABS pipe it compresses under pressure dont crack easy, had my whole jeep leanin on it against trees wit no probs

Exhaust tubing in the 10" flavor would look tits. :/

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Maybe you could mod this one to fit yours.
    http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel...hf/ss910hf.htm
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    You do not need a snorkle. Buy a ****ing jeep already.

You are going to destroy a really nice truck with useless mods and poser 4x4 accessories...all to be rescued by a stock xj when you bury it in some "hole" playing billy-badd-ass. If you want a mud runner, talk with YZeater and follow his advice. Those are REAL "mudders" and are built as such.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post

You are going to destroy a really nice truck with useless mods and poser 4x4 accessories...all to be rescued by a stock xj when you bury it in some "hole" playing billy-badd-ass. If you want a mud runner, talk with YZeater and follow his advice. Those are REAL "mudders" and are built as such.
    He makes a good point.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

well thats not very nice. and im not trying to add some poserish mods, dick. i got tires, and im wanting something to help it breath if i hit a hole too deep. outside of those two things, i decided nothing else is gonna be done to it, since it is my dd. forgive me for wanting to make sure that if i happen to hit a hole thats deeper than i thought, that i can breath and make it out.

thanks for the response though

Again see my comment on how real mud trucks are built.

I admire your enthusiasm, but we ALL told you that truck is a bad choice for doing more than some fire road wheelin on your way to your favorite fishing hole.

im not trying to have a mud truck. just a fun dd. and the truck did great last weekend. cas is about the hardest i wanna wheel. and there were 2 holes i was worried about. i think you might overestimate how big the truck really is

Believe me casparis is more than capable of bending sheet metal!
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

this thread is turnin into a straight brawl.

but on the real, youd be alot better off with a jeep. that will be playing over and over and over again when you break something on the trail and nobody has any spare parts for ya. not trying to be a dick just sayin he has a point
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

On the real? For sure BRAHHHHHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post

Buy a beater and daily drive the truck. Have you changed all your fluids since you ran it through the mud holes? That would be money well spent. You will learn to stay out of the deep holes with your daily driver after a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
    this thread is turnin into a straight brawl.

eh..... people on here just love their jeeps. and i do too. if one was as practical for me as the truck, i would have bought one instead of this. but the truck has a lot more roles for me than the jeep. i just wanna have some fun with it since i had to sell my baby (mustang). i guess its hard for people to see someone with a full size, wheel here. but it can be done, and manage to keep it somewhat pretty at least i think so. and if i happen to royally fu*k it up, then ill stop. but till then, ill put the new tires to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    On the real? For sure BRAHHHHHHH!
    Holy shit Brandon LMAO!

Rich, Like Ragnorox said Casparis can ruin your day real quick. I agree with what Krod has said for the most part, not bashing on you or your truck, but I wouldn't snorkel it. Just leave it as is and have sum fun with it and keep it nice. You start wheeling it, your gonna trash it slowly but surely, body wise, mechanicals etc. etc. it is inevitable. Mine is scratched to hell and back, got sum dents and i'm in NO way an extreme wheeler or throttle hound. I like to think I have some finesse but there are times that you gotta pin it to win it, and shit happens, you can't always control which way your gonna bounce or slide and that is when shit gets wrecked. Buy a beater Ford if thats what your into
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    i saw a couple xj's on CL really cheap.

like the 3 digit range. just throwin it out there...lol
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post

Buy a beater and daily drive the truck. Have you changed all your fluids since you ran it through the mud holes? That would be money well spent. You will learn to stay out of the deep holes with your daily driver after a few times.

im looking for a beater. but i would only have about 1500 or so to spend. and i cant seem to find much. the rest of my money is going towards my house and a wedding....and a honeymoon....and moving back home next year. where its wide open and you could wheel a h1 widened by 10 feet and still have room

the water we went though was only to the bumper. why would i need to change my fluids after that? and the arseholes can take a sec and not flame me as im asking to learn. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    i saw a couple xj's on CL really cheap.

like the 3 digit range. just throwin it out there...lol

you see it....pm me. cause id definitely be into something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post

the water we went though was only to the bumper. why would i need to change my fluids after that?

Any time you submerge a differential, which it was when you were up to the bumper, the fluids can take on water. Its a good rule of thumb to change the diff fluid if you submerge the axles, ESPECIALLY in a daily driver.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

"where its wide open and you could wheel a h1 widened by 10 feet and still have room " Oh so the wheeling sucks.

just messing with you.

that makes sense. i know what water and oil can do when mixed. but i didnt think that it could get into the diff. how would that happen anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    that makes sense. i know what water and oil can do when mixed. but i didnt think that it could get into the diff. how would that happen anyways?
    its vented.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

So what happens when you add the snorkle...you go into the hole of course.

Then what happens when you find out its too deep for you to DRIVE through, even if the snorkle isn't needed...now one of us has to pull you out...oh wait, you don't have recovery points...

See my point? Poser mods do not make the rig more capable, and make you the trail plug when you realize it 20 feet into a hole.

I understand why you want to protect it but you shuldnt be attempting that shit at any kind of speed in an otherwise stock truck.

Thread Information