Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need help mounting tow hooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help mounting tow hooks

Less posting, more wheeling!

Talking Need help mounting tow hooks

ok so ive got tow hooks that will be here friday. i need some help mounting them. i dont have stock tow hooks so ill need to mount them seperately than what i think is a stock location. its just something new to me, so i was wondering if anyone would be willing to swing by and help. ill supply the beer was looking at the frame and all that and just dont see where it would normally mount, or how id get it there.

if anyones willing to help let me know and ill shoot you my info.

thanks
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

ill come by and help if you want , but i dont know half as much as some of the dudes on here haha. couldnt you find a bracket? XJ's rarely came stock with tow points but you can still buy the OEM tow hook and mounting bracket, id figure the 150 would be the same
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

there wasnt any bracket for it. stock or otherwise. the stock tow hooks look harder to put on than the ones i ordered haha. theres two holes on the bottom of the frame, but none on the top. and i figure there would be some on top if the bolts would be going through the entire frame. and the bolts look too long to only go half way through the box frame
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Did you only get hooks? Post a picture of them. What vehicle is this for?

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
    Did you only get hooks? Post a picture of them. What vehicle is this for?
    its got grade 8 bolts and what not. but the ones i got were black

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    its got grade 8 bolts and what not. but the ones i got were black

Your gona need brackets.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

A reason why you dont see any holes up top is because the frame is possibly tapped.

Going on what? A Cherokee?
    You CAN NOT just bolt those to the unibody. You need the brackets that I told you I had. The first good tug will pull the bolts through the sheet metal.

my truck is a real truck. has a real frame. so i dont have the unibody issue. but what brackets would i need?

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
    Going on what? A Cherokee?
    You CAN NOT just bolt those to the unibody. You need the brackets that I told you I had. The first good tug will pull the bolts through the sheet metal.
    No, I think they are going on his ford. I think .
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

my truck is a real truck. has a real frame. so i dont have the unibody issue. but what brackets would i need?

Ok good luck to you. I hope that your real frame is real solid.

dont be sensitive Mykal. i was just saying it has an actual frame.

Quote Originally Posted by pittim View Post
    A reason why you dont see any holes up top is because the frame is possibly tapped.

what does that mean?

I think he means that there is possibly a captive nut in the frame.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    "frame is possibly tapped" meaning that the holes in the frame might have threads

ah. ok. ill have to pull the bumper to see for sure. the frame is boxed but open at the front. from looking at the bottom, i dont think it is. ill look tomorrow

You are going tho have those sticking out the front of the bumper ya know?

yeah theyll stick out a little bit. theyre a temporary fit. ill be getting a front mount hitch later on.

actually, i dont think it will stick out too much. the holes are pretty far back under the frame. it should actually just barely stick out.

actually, i dont think it will stick out too much. the holes are pretty far back under the frame. it should actually just barely stick out.
    Yes! what if who ever is pulling you our can't get directly in front of you, and has to pull at an angle? they will tear up your bumper.

theres a pretty big gap there where the hooks would be. i wouldnt think it would be back far enough to actually damage the bumper. but thanks for bringing it up. ill have to make sure of that when i get the hooks friday.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

but again, where would there be brackets or something. ive seen those hooks before. but id rather have open ended ones.

but again, where would there be brackets or something. ive seen those hooks before. but id rather have open ended ones.
    Those bolt right to the frame
    and why do you need open ones?

ah. and because i figure its easier to use the open ones rather than the closed hoop ones.

Thread Information