Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help mounting tow hooks

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    ah. and because i figure its easier to use the open ones rather than the closed hoop ones.
    until the slack comes off the rope and it falls out the open end

hmmm. then how do you use the closed loop with the strap with a closed loop? im missing something apparently really simple
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ah. and because i figure its easier to use the open ones rather than the closed hoop ones.
    Just loop the strap through itself or get a shackel.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

DBreak. Stick with the factory tow points. They'll be easier to install and they'll be rated better than anything you're thinking of fabing up right now. Then, if you want to, upgrade to a bumper or aftermarket tow points so that it's done correctly.

Closed hoop is stronger and safer. Just pick up a D-ring shackle and use that to mate your strap to the tow point. JMO.

ah. d-ring. i remember. i knew i was forgetting something. ill go ahead and order those rings. fords tow hooks were some beefy sob's. i just couldnt find a set below 75. but thanks jimbo. im ordering those now
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Before you order them, look into it to make sure there's not a separate bracket or something required. That way you don't run into troubles later on. Seriously look around and see if there's an F150 forum so you can search for whatever questions you might have.

There are a ton of different types of vehicles here on the site, but most of us have strictly jeep, toyota, scout or whatever, forums that we go to to learn about them. Just a tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    Before you order them, look into it to make sure there's not a separate bracket or something required. That way you don't run into troubles later on. Seriously look around and see if there's an F150 forum so you can search for whatever questions you might have.

There are a ton of different types of vehicles here on the site, but most of us have strictly jeep, toyota, scout or whatever, forums that we go to to learn about them. Just a tip.
    Those bolt to the frame. I take those off quite often to install brushguards I have a set of chrome onesoff of a newer frod under my tool box right now.lol
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Those bolt to the frame. I take those off quite often to install brushguards I have a set of chrome onesoff of a newer frod under my tool box right now.lol
    lol, sweet!

there is some mounting hardware. i dont know where to find it. ill probably just call ford tomorrow ans see if they have the hardware. and get the ones from ebay

or maybe ill look at my truck and maybe the hardware is still there. i dunno. we'll see. worst case id like the other ones on for the weekend. i did fine without them last weekend. but i dont wanna hear a bunch of bit*hing at me sunday lol

Do what you want. Just be safe and know what you're doing. I had a tow point shear off a bumper before. I was lucky it didn't hit the person I was pulling behind me.

there is some mounting hardware. i dont know where to find it. ill probably just call ford tomorrow ans see if they have the hardware. and get the ones from ebay
    don't bother with the dealership. Just take your truck to fasten-all and get some grade 5 or better bolts. I can't remember if the older fords have captive nuts in the frame for the t-hooks,Or if they used a tab nut. but either way if there is no threads in the frame you should be able to get in there to just nut and bolt it.

thats a good point. ill just do that. but i think ill turn right around and sell the tow hooks i ordered today. good thing i only wasted $35 for it.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    DBreak. Stick with the factory tow points. They'll be easier to install and they'll be rated better than anything you're thinking of fabing up right now. Then, if you want to, upgrade to a bumper or aftermarket tow points so that it's done correctly.

Closed hoop is stronger and safer. Just pick up a D-ring shackle and use that to mate your strap to the tow point. JMO.
    x2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It really is sad that stupidity isn't as painful for the stupid as it is for those forced to witness it!"

i just put a front reciever on mine and im really glad i chose that over just towhooks, the thing is damn solid and with the d-ring reciever i put on it it has three tow points. if you go that way, make sure you have extra sockets incase you break one taking your sway bar off

plus, im not sure how much id trust the reciever for this, but theres an attachment for a winch plate which is what mine is actually designed for, not towing.
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

i got the factory hooks on the way. i emailed the guy and said i want them and i want them now. so i paypal'd him and now they are on the way to me. should be here tomorrow or saturday. thanks again jimbo. then ill go get the stuff i need to bolt em down. anyone want to buy those other j hooks i bought??? haha
    Last edited by Dick.Breakey; 03-25-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
    plus, im not sure how much id trust the reciever for this, but theres an attachment for a winch plate which is what mine is actually designed for, not towing.
    most of the ones i see are meant for that. to have the removable winch plate on it. i dont know how much id trust a 9k pull on it either haha. but to throw a d ring on the front of the hook seems goos to me.

most of the ones i see are meant for that. to have the removable winch plate on it. i dont know how much id trust a 9k pull on it either haha. but to throw a d ring on the front of the hook seems goos to me.
    haha exactly what i did before i smashed up the side of my jeep pulling out of the garage. it wasnt very goose at all
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth_Fratelli View Post
    haha exactly what i did before i smashed up the side of my jeep pulling out of the garage. it wasnt very goose at all

how did you do that? wreck the side of ur jeep in the garage?

how did you do that? wreck the side of ur jeep in the garage?
    probably the same way i slid into a tree behind my door.

unexplainable.

hahah. makes sense

Thread Information