Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need solid axle swap help....

PghOffRoad Regular

I need solid axle swap help....

so i F'd up the front end of my colorado pretty bad - the front drive shaft is sitting in my bed.

was talking to deadman tom about it and he strongly recommended an SAS. he said that there are alot of people on here that could help me out or atleast get me headed in the right direction.

tom mentioned a couple axles that might work out for me but after attempting to drown my sorrows i forget which ones he said. i currently have stock 3.73 gears but would consider 4.10s

any thoughts/ideas would really help out as im pretty new to this, thanks guys.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    a toy axle or waggy dana 44 would be a good axle for your truck as you are on a 6 lug rear axle. SOA the rear, SOA'd yj springs in the front, you have rack and pinion steering, so your going to need a steering box, the chevy astro box is your best bet for that. i would go over to s10 forum and look at some of the SAS'd s10 builds. i searched last night, and i cant find anyone that has sas'd a h3 of colorado. your gonna need a front crossmember for the spring mounts, most s10 guys use a SKY's manufacturing kit for either the s10 or the toyota. depending on how your oil pan is ( if it hangs down allot) you might need a new one. the size of tire you want to run is the biggest deciding factor on most of this build.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    SOA and waggy axles don't work too well. It can be done but really not worth it for the price of a chevy housing.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

PghOffRoad Regular
    do the toyota & waggy ( = wagoneer??) axles have the gear housing on the passenger side??

would any sas make the front higher then the back? id rather not touch the back if i didnt have to...

any of these work?
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1665026550.html
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1664631059.html
    Last edited by radojim; 03-28-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Like I said in Deadmans post, do a lot of research into this. It will take a lot of fabrication to make it work. A lot of money too unless you can do a lot of the work yourself.

The truck will handle and ride diferently and you may have to do soemthing to the rear so it sits level. It all depends on how you do it.
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by radojim View Post
    do the toyota & waggy ( = wagoneer??) axles have the gear housing on the passenger side??

would any sas make the front higher then the back? id rather not touch the back if i didnt have to...

any of these work?
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1665026550.html
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/1664631059.html
    nope. start looking on pirate at all hte SAS'd trucks you can to get an idea of what your gonna get your self into.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Fix the IFS. Your not going to trail ride a colorado anyway, so why spent all the time/money on a sas for a dd. Fix the IFS and go buy your self a trail rig if you want to wheel.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Fix the IFS. Your not going to trail ride a colorado anyway, so why spent all the time/money on a sas for a dd. Fix the IFS and go buy your self a trail rig if you want to wheel.
    Jim, listen to Dana. And Jeff, there's nothing wrong with SAS on a Colorado if he chooses that route. There's no law that say we all have to wheel a freakin Jeep.

I never said there was anything wrong with it. But a Colorado is not a very good base to start from for a wheeler. espiceally if you still plan on it being your dd. Nor did I say go buy a jeep
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

I never said there was anything wrong with it. But a Colorado is not a very good base to start from for a wheeler. espiceally if you still plan on it being your dd. Nor did I say go buy a jeep
    You did in my thread.

The topic is SAS, not which vehicle do you prefer...

PghOffRoad Regular
    im just freaking out.... it is my dd, i guess i need a better idea of how much time/effort and $$$ this would take.

id like to keep it somewhat mild. maybe swap out the 3.73s for 4.10 while its apart incase i would go to 35''s

Jim, Dana did it to his.

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13448

Based on that I'd say just fix what's under it. Wifey is not gona be happy lol.
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 03-28-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Yes I did. And I was JOKING.
    And on the topic of SAS. Why would you spend the money to SAS a Colordo that you intend to drive daily. You could just fix it. And spend the $3000 or so that spend on the SAS and buy Somthing(See I didn' say jeep) that would make a decent trail rig.

Yes I did. And I was JOKING.
    And on the topic of SAS. Why would you spend the money to SAS a Colordo that you intend to drive daily. You could just fix it. And spend the $3000 or so that spend on the SAS and buy Somthing(See I didn' say jeep) that would make a decent trail rig.
    That was the question. To me it would cost a lot more to have a shop fix/replace the IFS than to SAS the truck but apperantly I was wrong.

That said, if he does SAS the truck anyway, I don't see anything wrong with it. What's wrong with a SAS on a colorado? Just because it's a DD isn't a good enough argument IMO.

I just think that the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Like on a jeep

LOL. I know. He loves the truck just like we love our jeeps though. He already has a step above me with the frame. But he has a step above you with the nice wheelbase

Thats fine, he can love it all he wants. They make great daily drivers. But it is going to take a hell of a lot more than a SAS to make it ready for any thing other than the stock trail. And If that is all he intends to do with it is light trails he could do that with the IFS.

In your opinion. You forgot to add that part.

Back on topic, since we already got jeffs take on it. Thanks Jeff.

If anyone has anything constructive to add regarding the SAS swap, it would be appreciated.

Ooh is Jeff mad again lol. *****.

No, I'm not mad, I don't give a $hit let him waste all the money he wants.

You're a fawking idiot. Somebody askes about a SAS and you give him shit about it not being a jeep. Nice. Get the fawk out of the thread if you don't have anything else to say.

jeff, an SAS, if deals are found, can be done rather cheaply. the main components that are needed for his truck should be a steering box, axle, a set of leaves, brake lines, shocks, drive shaft, and steel. an astro box can be had for 45 bucks, i have some leaves ill sell to him for 30-40 bucks depending on if its the s10 or yj leaves, brake lines max like 65 bucks, 1-2 hundred for shocks, probably like 200 bucks for a d-shaft, 500 bucks for steel, and 500 bucks for a toy axle. if he knows how to weld and use a measuring tape, everything else should fall into place pretty easily. if it was me i would look at s10 and toy builds for some ideas. and before anyone starts on me about not knowing what im talking about, when i bought my s10, i started researchin SFA on s10s up until the night i wrecked it, thats like 9 months of reasearch.
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Your the Idiot telling him to spend a shit pile of money on a SAS, when he can probably fix the IFS for less than $500.
    Like I said before If all he intends to do is light trails the IFS is fine. And since he doesn't want to touch the rear I assume those are his plans.

Who's mad now Tom?

Thread Information