Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Schwinn bikes

Thread: Schwinn bikes

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Schwinn bikes

Does anybody know if the Schwinn bikes at wal mart are the same quality as the Schwinn's in the bike shops.I want to start riding again but can't justify paying $300.00 + for a bike that I'm only going ride once or twice a week.Thanks in advance for the help.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    No they are not the same quality not even close. Check out dicks their bikes are far from the best but they are decent for what you pay...
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thanks I'll check'em out.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    x2 on dicks...or craigslist

i bought my wife a really nice diamondback on sale for 250-300 bucks and its really nice, compared to the stuff they used to sell.

i also picked up a haro off of CL for 50 bucks..i think there is a pic of it somewhere on here.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Yeah always check out CL you can get amazing deals on that site lol.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    My wifes and my Target bought Magnas are holding up so far, haven't really beat on them though, mostly paved surfaces

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thanks for all the info guys.I'll check out Target and Dicks.

Web Wheeler!
    I bought my Schwinn at Dick's a few years back and just got the wife one at Target. Both bike's are the the same in quality and performance.
    [U]'99 TJ, 2.5L, 5sp, 2.5"bb, 31s
    [/U]

Dick's bikes are decent for the money. I'd avoid a target/wal mart bike because they are all generic sizes. Dick's or a bike shop can actually get you into a different size frame.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

+1 on cragislist.

You'll find basically brand new bikes for dirt cheap because someone thought they'd have time/drive to do a lot of riding, and they realize they dont and dont have the room for said bike, so they need it gone.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    Dick's bikes are decent for the money. I'd avoid a target/wal mart bike because they are all generic sizes. Dick's or a bike shop can actually get you into a different size frame.
    Thats good to know I need a bike to fit me.
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gD5vDm_Cx0[/URL]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by pittim View Post
    +1 on cragislist.

You'll find basically brand new bikes for dirt cheap because someone thought they'd have time/drive to do a lot of riding, and they realize they dont and dont have the room for said bike, so they need it gone.
    I found a couple good deals on C.L. just waiting on people to get back to me.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    So heres the deal I got a bike at Wal Mart two months ago it was a Genies(sp)? brand it appeared to be a good bike disc brake front full suspension shimano derailleur and thumb shifters well only after three rides the pedal broke off last Saturday.So today I go to Dicks to look for a bike for my step son and found a Realm (low end Diamond Back) list was $129.99 on sale for $119.98 and went to the register and it was only $99.99.So after riding it around a bit I took my p.o.s. back to wm and got my money back then back to Dicks and got one for me with a ten dollar off coupon.I liked the fact that when you buy a bike from Dicks they look it over and make sure every thing works the way it should.So thanks again for all the input I should've listened and saved my self a lot of trouble and went to Dicks in the first place!

DO NOT BUY WALMART BIKES. I worked there for 6 years and from what I've seen, they are garbage (just like everything else there). The return rate is very high on them and they fall apart cuz they use cheap hardware. The people building them in the back aren't too bright either. They are actually like $40-$70 bikes with a profit selling price tag of $100-$150.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    that bike at dicks will be fine for paved stuff... it's probably heavy as hell with low end components, but youshould be fine to tool around on. I just wouldn't expect it to last forever.

Glad walmart took the bike back. i heard a statistic once, that the bikes at wal mart have to be assembled in 10 minutes otherwise they loose $ on them... they're rarely put together correctly.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Our Target bikes are still hangin on good, rode mine a little on some easy woods, both got some paved miles and many laps around North Park on em, mines fallen off my "rack" 3 times and they are still good. I might have just go t lucky though (that and I went over every nut and bolt myself). Now if I could find 24" whitewall tires for mine...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    that bike at dicks will be fine for paved stuff... it's probably heavy as hell with low end components, but youshould be fine to tool around on. I just wouldn't expect it to last forever.

Glad walmart took the bike back. i heard a statistic once, that the bikes at wal mart have to be assembled in 10 minutes otherwise they loose $ on them... they're rarely put together correctly.
    Surprisingly it's not that heavy I know it's not as light as a Trek or other high end bike and it has Shimano components but it should do for me I only ride the bike trail with my son a few times a month.

put it on a scale. I think you'll be suprised. My fisher was around like 23 lbs when I raced. That's a 27 speed with knobby tires on it.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    34 lbs

thats not too bad. I was thinking you still had the wal mart bike. My first mountain bike was a wal mart bike. it weighed around 50 lbs.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    No I didn't think that was to bad aether and I will never buy a Wal Mart again. The bike I had before was from Wal Mart as well it was a Next Avalon comfort bike I had it for two years with maybe fifteen rides and gave it to my step son when I got my new one he rode it for about three weeks then the crank broke.If this thing doesn't hold up i will get a Trek.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlovbasz3 View Post
    If this thing doesn't hold up i will get a Trek.
    It does not have to be a Trek, just a bike from a bike shop. Trek makes shitty bikes too, there are a lot of bikes that come from Dicks that are on par with Treks entry level bikes. The big difference is that the Treks are assembled correctly and the Dicks bikes are just thrown together.

Thread Information