Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea # 2,642 : Jeep Comanche Build

Less posting, more wheeling!

Idea # 2,642 : Jeep Comanche Build

well it says it. im considering buying a 1000 or less beater(or nice version of a dedicated trail rig). i love having a truck. especially when on the trail. other peoples shit breaking or camping or just having a place to throw stuff and keep it off the trail. the commanche is quite a bit smaller than my truck, so where width id an issue right not, it wont be. the lifts for it are pretty affordable (6" for less than $600). it changes to SOA in rear which i like. and seems to be pretty unique. especially around here where i havent even heard the word commanche. im gonna think about it for a while, as id have to wait for my next bonus to buy the base, or else lindsey would strangle me, but id like to get yalls opinions on it.

pros/cons or even personal opinions.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    they are tough to find, when you do find one they are kinda pricey. i wanted one for a while, then decided to get an xj, build it, and just take the rear cushion out and fold the seatback down.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    What the hell happened to MFSteve? He had a comanche build thread on here. It was sweet.

its for sale too
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

i have whats left of a commanche out back. mainly just a shell theres no title and needs floor work. it would be a great trail rig foundation. if ya waved a crisp $100 bill under my nose id let it go. the rails are in good shape, the bed has a few dents. i just havent drug it to the scrap yard yet
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

what about an old crusty 50 and a brand new 50?

you got any pics?

and i was going through his build thread. seems like it would be a pain to go from 2wd to 4wd. im assuming his is still a work in progress. yall know what hes asking?
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    you got any pics?

and i was going through his build thread. seems like it would be a pain to go from 2wd to 4wd. im assuming his is still a work in progress. yall know what hes asking?
    ive been lurking CL and almost every manche ive found has been 2WD
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    what about an old crusty 50 and a brand new 50?
    that'd work too

its not hard to go to 4wd. the front suspension is basically the same just bolt a front axle in.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Ya, bolt in the live front axle and transfercase and 4wd drive shafts.

You also need a 4wd tranny to go along with that t-case and front axle...it could easily become a PITA.

I'm surprised MF'er is selling the commanche! That thing looked like it was coming along nicely...I love the idea of a new front clip and interior on a lifted commanche.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Why would you have to switch the transmission? My 2wd XJ just had a special tail shaft housing bolted to the end of the same transmission used in the 4wd IIRC.

ok. im back on this. i think its the best option for what i want. if i can get it and have it road worthy in a few months then it would be my winter car, and i wouldnt have to drive my new car through snow and salt

so. ill hopefully know in a few weeks if i get it, or when i do get it, ill get yall updated. ive got one in mind. so we'll see how it works out

MJ's are pretty cool. If I were to get one I'd want to restore it and sink a ton of money I don't have into it. They're basically the same as an XJ but with beefier rails and a bed. Try to find a short bed version because the long bed would probably kill your departure angles.

Do it!

Also, if you can find a 2wd in good shape I'd pick it up. If you figure in the amount of work it can take to repair rust or a rotting chasis, that other bolt on stuff becomes the easy choice.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

haha. the one im looking at has some goodies with it. including a 4wd swap in process or already done. and im gonna end up bobbing the rear to fix that departure angle. or just put beefy skid on it and drag it across everything haha

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    i liked the "buying a running driving rig for cheap" idea more than this lol
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gD5vDm_Cx0[/URL]

There was a blue one on CL a little while back for $1k. It was nice!

Trail Leader
    Last edited by Meeke; 07-16-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

haha. let me see how the one i want goes, and i think yall will be happy with it.

i wish i would have waited to click on it till the pics link was there. at work, it let me look at the first link once, then i was told to fu*k off when i tried it a second time. and the same for the pic link. ill look tonight. seems pretty sweet though. not too much work needed.

but again, we'll see whats what with the other one. id rather have it. and dont worry Ryan, you wont be disappointed with me this time for this purchase

Trail Leader
    From the bigrubbers4x4 forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Bears' truck is for sale. $1500, it is a 87' with the 93' front clip and doors from my Jeep that a drunk totaled. 6" of lift running BFG MT,35's, 50% tread, 4:56 gears with a lockrite in the dana 35, and a posi-lok in the dana 30. fenders have been cut, but a good set comes with it, along with replacement sections for the bed sides, the rear springs should be change, just stock ones needed, needs new shocks, has a snorkel, the 4.2 engine, runs great, never overheats, even without a fan, it has one, leaks oil-needs rear seal replaced, the 5 speed shifts great, needs a tranny mount, no problems with the t-case, aftermarket lower control arms, R.E. adjustable track bar, new 6" heavy duty rear bumper. I had plans of capping the ends for a air tank. floors need some work and the gauges don't work. I swapped in a dual diaphram brake master cylinder to replace the single one it had, needs new pads. recent u-joints, bed was treated to the dupli-color bed liner.
    many have seen this truck in action and does well on the trails with no need for a lead foot. this truck has also appeared in a couple of articles in Low Range magazine.
    Due to obligations to my sponsors, the front bumper, winch, and wheels do not go with the truck, the tires do.
    for a tail rig, replace the rear springs and brakes and have fun, for a street rig, it will take a little body work, but it did pass the latest inspection this past Feb.
    send me a PM if interested
    Don't know how to link the pictures directly... Seems like an awesome deal!
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

ok after a call, lets put it this way, unless some sort of unexpected expense comes up, im gonna get it (not the bear one) in a few weeks. you should see the shit eating grin on my face right now haha

Trail Leader
    specs? pics?
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

Thread Information