Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
WTB Car Hauler Trailer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB Car Hauler Trailer

WTB Car Hauler Trailer

I am seeking a trailer to haul our XJ.

Our wish list is simple
    We prefer Electric Brakes on both axles
    14 -16 -18 ft depending what you measure.
    Current PA inspection

Nothing fancy but must be safe.

PM or call/cell.
    (Seven hundred, twenty-four) Four Hundred, seventy three & Eight thousand, one hundred & one
    Last edited by fathersnsons; 06-08-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.
    Thanks to all. Meanwhile we will see you on the trails.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Bruised on NEC has a nice 18'er for sale rite now.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    Bruised on NEC has a nice 18'er for sale rite now.
    THX
    Are you referring to NEC ' Electrical Code Forum' or 'other'
    I searched NEC Electrical Code but could not find 'Bruised' or 'For Sale'

Can you give me some guidance
    THX
    m
    Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ^ NEC is North East Crawlers if i'm not mistaken...
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

i just say a 16ft on craigslist pittsburgh

Nice trailer
    thx for the heads up.

Since this is in OHIO
    TO get PA legal, all I need is a title?
    new Inspection?
    new plate?
    First Born child?

Also Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage (beyond stopping time) between 1 brake axle vs both?
    Maybe it is just dumb luck but it seems like PA trailers I looked at have brakes on both axles.

Quote Originally Posted by fathersnsons View Post
    THX
    Are you referring to NEC ' Electrical Code Forum' or 'other'
    I searched NEC Electrical Code but could not find 'Bruised' or 'For Sale'

Can you give me some guidance
    THX
    m
    LOL< I thought the same thing when I first heard NEC. I bet you searched that book for a while.

I felt dumber than usual looking through the code threads, but I could not come up with the right off road title?????

I am told that 2 axle trailers need to be inspected & to pass must have dual brakes.
    If so the trailer in Columbina, OH is only 1 brake axle.

However the Craigslist posting seems to look good for a new one, in case a used one is not available.

m

In PA, all axles must have brakes when the capacity is above 2k (or is it 2500?) lb's. Generally, electric brakes are easily retrofitted to spindle only axles, so don't totally rule that one out. I think the kit we used was right around $200 on our R&R enclosed trailer.

If you don't already have a controller, I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy. There was a significant difference in braking over the cheap timed controller it replaced. Proportional is definitely the way to go.
    Last edited by LordAthens; 06-08-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

thx all
    like everything there is a learning curve,

I appreciate the heads up.
    I did speak to the Craig's List Guy, (mike) he has a few styles I am going to check them out tomorrow if I can schedule it.

Was not planning on a new one. but it will not hurt to look.

You need brakes on both axles with the hills around here. And +1 on the Prodigy. I have controllers in 3 different trucks right now. The Prodigy is the best.

Is it hard to setup I have been doing a lot of research on the brake controllers but was under the impression they are a pita to set up. Plus im pretty lazy.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

The prodigy is absolutely amazing. My dad has them in both pickups we have, and my pap has one in his chevy as well. By far imho the best controller on the market hands down.

Steve, what year is your chevy? Its newer, it should damn near be plug and play, my dad threw em in his dodge's in like 40min tops, hardest part was him being picky where he wanted to mount them haha.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Its a 2002 silverado and I couldnt find the harness that will plug directly into my truck... I have the GM supplied harness.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

For a longer wheelbase rig like a XJ, I would recommend at least a 16 foot trailer. It'll give you more flexibility in dialing in your tongue weight. IIRC a XJ is almost exactly 14 feet long, so you wouldn't be able to adjust the XJ much on a 14 foot trailer.

Look at the wiring of the trailer, too. I was absolutely shocked at how bad the wiring was on my trailer (no protection on the wires -- no grommets on the holes they were fished through. I rewired the lights with outdoor extension cord and haven't had any issues in regards to that since.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 06-09-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

THAX the best 1/2, is worried were to keep this.

more flexibility in dialing in your tongue weight. IIRC a XJ is almost exactly 14 feet long, so you wouldn't be able to adjust the XJ much on a 14 foot trailer
    YEAH, you confirmed one of my thoughts. With most of the weight in the front I can see the advantage of a little space.

no protection on the wires -- no grommets on the holes they were fished through. I rewired the lights with outdoor extension cord and haven't had any issues in regards to that since.
    I may not have looked for this until I got it home. THX

My worn out saying is:
    You sometimes do not know what you do not know.

WE returned with a trailer this evening.

Found a great deal on a 16' in Hermitage.
    FYI, the Craigs list ad was a guy called Mike. Very helpful. He has very low overhead and his prices are great. It will hold the XJ nicely. Before that I need to have a few tie downs welded on & I also want to upgrade the ramp so it is easier to manage.
    I do not have a welder but if anyone would be able to assist I would gladly like to pay them.
    PLEASE PM ME
    THX m

Do regular inspection stations inspect these or do I need to go to a specific station?

Sorry the camera is at wifes office, I will get a pic asap.

We appreciate everyones help. You guys taught me allot to look for & ask.
    Now I just need to get the XJ out & about.

I just did the bolt on tie downs, no need to weld.

I had mine inspected by a place in westview, if u just bought it new shouldn't have he had it inspected?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

The dealer in Hermitage basically sells these from his home. Little to no overhead, so he does not inspect them.

Limegreenyj got our tie downs welded in, he even was kind enough to teach Steven to weld a bit.

We are heading to MI in the a.m., so by our return I will know if we love the trailer.

THX all

Beth said the camera will be home this afternoon. Hopefully can post a pic B4 leaving.

LOVE the TRAILER

We got a trailer.
    Thanx to all. B4 this week I knew about tongue weight but I did not know about, Brake Controllers, nor about the wiring harness you need once you get the controller.

Because we were pulling the rig w/ our truck, we decided on a 16' landscape trailer. It weighs considerably less & still is able to haul 5500 lbs, way more than our XJ. The CL add in Hermitage is the vender. Mike is wonderful. He has a simple operation keeping his overhead & prices minimal.

Brandon was kind enough to help us & welded into the ramp reinforcement in line of the tires & also added 3 1/2 D rings, (He taught Steven to do the remaining 1/2).

As usual we rushed to get it all together & I have learned some forum members do not like night pics. LOL

After tying it down we tarped it. Then we stopped 4 times the first 10 miles & added about 10,000 bungees.

The trip went great. The truck & trailer did way better than expected.
    The worst thing was we missed ya'll at OUTBACK ADVENTURE, Terri, Rob, & of Course Jeff.

The team in MI who is working on our XJ built the front doors a couple years ago. Since then, they have closed their fab shop & now only focus on their buggies & racing. Lucky for us, because of fathersNson, they said they would do our rear doors s. (they are both new fathers)

The Lord keeps pushing this whole fathersNsons theme. I am going to have to do something more with the site.
    Last edited by fathersnsons; 06-15-2010 at 10:15 AM.

How did you tie the XJ to the trailer? It looks like you just loosely wrapped a ratchet strap around the front axle?
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

How did you tie the XJ to the trailer? It looks like you just loosely wrapped a ratchet strap around the front axle?
    OH NO
    When I saw the pic I was hoping no one would think that.
    But, in todays world one has to ask.

FYI
    Steven just threw those on there B4 taking the pics as it was getting dark.
    Once the pics were done we "X'd" the strap (ratcheted them tight) from the front & rear axles to the appropriate D rings.

Then tarped it because of the doors being off.
    When stopped for fuel & food we checked all four, they all stayed nice & tight.
    Last edited by fathersnsons; 06-15-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Thread Information