Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
WTB Car Hauler Trailer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB Car Hauler Trailer

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I'm a bit anal on tying stuff down to the trailer. I normally use 5-6 straps for a vehicle. If the junk comes off the trailer it's an act of God. The trailer looks nice. I like the soft doors.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    I'm a bit anal on tying stuff down to the trailer. I normally use 5-6 straps for a vehicle. If the junk comes off the trailer it's an act of God. The trailer looks nice. I like the soft doors.
    We used 4, 3300lb rated 'each' ratchet straps. Axle -> D ring. Forming an X, both frt & rear.
    When going around axle we avoided the brake lines but positioned the strap so it could not slide to the center. W/ the E-brake on, it did not budge.

IF there is a safer method, plz yell.

THX for the kind words on the soft doors. We cannot wait to get it back w/ all 4 done. NExt we need to get to the meat & not just the dressing. (Long arm, 35's +++, all the stuff I admire ya'll for. In fact thx for the pics when posting. Still a NOOB)
    Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.
    Thanks to all. Meanwhile we will see you on the trails.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by fathersnsons View Post
    We used 4, 3300lb rated 'each' ratchet straps. Axle -> D ring. Forming an X, both frt & rear.
    When going around axle we avoided the brake lines but positioned the strap so it could not slide to the center. W/ the E-brake on, it did not budge.

IF there is a safer method, plz yell.

THX for the kind words on the soft doors. We cannot wait to get it back w/ all 4 done. NExt we need to get to the meat & not just the dressing. (Long arm, 35's +++, all the stuff I admire ya'll for. In fact thx for the pics when posting. Still a NOOB)
    i use actual axle straps around the axle then put my ratchet to it

taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

I X the straps front and rear like you did Mike. and then I hook the winch line to the fornt of the trailer and suck the front end down a little ( no need to go crazy here) this helps to keep the rig rocking back and forth on the trailer. I also suck down the rear with a fifth ratchet strap.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    I X the straps front and rear like you did Mike. and then I hook the winch line to the fornt of the trailer and suck the front end down a little ( no need to go crazy here) this helps to keep the rig rocking back and forth on the trailer. I also suck down the rear with a fifth ratchet strap.
    thx Jeff
    We have plenty of straps and ratchets. I can see pulling down the front & rear would keep the suspension from operating, thus reduce some rocking / swaying. Looking forward to seeing ya'll.
    Looks like the weekend was perfect.
    Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.
    Thanks to all. Meanwhile we will see you on the trails.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    those doors are seriously bad ass!
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Get axle straps with a sheath around them like 2002WranglerX posted. I've tried to wrap ratchet straps around the axles and could never get them tight enough. You need at least 2 full wraps around the ratchet to get enough friction to hold the load, so it's difficult to get them tight without axle straps. The sheaths allow the strap to "slide" around the axle.

I also criss cross straps to each axle and never ran into a problem with that setup. I do hook my winch (with enough slack to where it's not tightening when I hit a bump or something) to a front tie down out of paranoia, too. Since it's not tight, all it acts as a last resort should the straps fail to where the Jeep wants to roll off the trailer.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 06-17-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

The straps I use have a loop on the end ( just like on a towstrap) so I just loop the strap around the axel and through itself. They tighten down just fine. I also (like I said before) like to suck the suspension down a little to keep the suspension from bouncing. I do so with the winch on the front and another strap on the back.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

never thought of using a strap or two to limit suspension movement
    It's a 4.0L...no matter what you do, it's going to make a funny noise.

And if you can get a forklift moving at 100MPH on electric, I want in on that project, sounds like a good time!
    -overkillzj

Thread Information