Thread: Tire rubbing

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Tire rubbing

I currently have 32X1150X15s on (just bought to pass inspectoin) they rubb when I turn the wheel all the way, is there anything I can do about it?

Adjust the wheel stop maybe.
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    What wheels are you running and what is the backspacing? Short of spacer or new wheels, you will prob have to adjust the steering stops. Its really simple, to do. Its a small bolt that screws into the knuckle at the front bottom. At full lock it contacts the inner C of the axle. Just back them out and tighten the lock nut.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by notmYJ View Post
    What wheels are you running and what is the backspacing? Short of spacer or new wheels, you will prob have to adjust the steering stops. Its really simple, to do. Its a small bolt that screws into the knuckle at the front bottom. At full lock it contacts the inner C of the axle. Just back them out and tighten the lock nut.
    The lock nuts are welded in place on tj's. Its no big deal, I just put a lock washer or two behind the jam nut.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling!
    dont turn it all the way.........
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by DBreakTX View Post
    dont turn it all the way.........
    ya that sounds like a good idea.... come on man, really?? lol

made the most sense and seems like the least work haha
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    its his DD wat happens if he dosnt fix it and a deer comes runing out on the road, or a kid running after his/her ball..... seems like the most sense huh lol gezz. sounds like u have a spacing problem bud

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    The lock nuts are welded in place on tj's. Its no big deal, I just put a lock washer or two behind the jam nut.
    ++ I had a few washers behind mine, 3/8" if memory serves me.

Quote Originally Posted by notmYJ View Post
    Damn YJ guys. lol
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

Quote Originally Posted by JKchick View Post
    its his DD wat happens if he dosnt fix it and a deer comes runing out on the road, or a kid running after his/her ball..... seems like the most sense huh lol gezz. sounds like u have a spacing problem bud

he said at only full lock. how often do u turn 1 1/4 turns in a split second during something like that? but i seee where ur coming from. he should just fixit.

Web Wheeler!
    My 33's rub like a sumbitch on my XJ. I turn it until it rubs, then back off 1/4 turn. Kind of like how I tighten things until they strip.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Im just going to adjust the stops, then come winter when I get 33s, I'll get new wheels and flares. These tires are only on to let me cheaply pass inspection THanks for all of the help

WJ lower control arms have a bend in them to clear tires during turns. Dunno if you can find any of those. Other than that, steering stops (lose turning radius), wheel spacers ($$), or aftermarket backspaced wheels ($$) will work. I had the same problem and I just learned to not turn fully until I got my wheels.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWJcontrolarms.htm

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    ok, I have washers, went to put them on and the bolt wont budge. I tried jacking it up to take off the tire to give more room, and my jack wont even touch the Jeep... O well, I'll just watch my steering lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doty152 View Post
    ok, I have washers, went to put them on and the bolt wont budge. I tried jacking it up to take off the tire to give more room, and my jack wont even touch the Jeep... O well, I'll just watch my steering lol
    Use the stock bottle jack (under the passenger seat) under each side of the axle. It will get it off the ground. Spray the bolts down with PB as well, highly helpful if you do it a few times a day or two before you go to break loose said bolt.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

They can be rust-welded on and need some muscle to turn. An impact would get em off for sure. My steering stops came off relatively easy though when I did this on my TJ.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/...teerstop-1.htm

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    Use the stock bottle jack (under the passenger seat) under each side of the axle. It will get it off the ground. Spray the bolts down with PB as well, highly helpful if you do it a few times a day or two before you go to break loose said bolt.
    honestly tried that, it wouldn't even touch the axle. And it is the stock bottle jack. it will hit the diff but won't that only lift one side on the front?

honestly tried that, it wouldn't even touch the axle. And it is the stock bottle jack. it will hit the diff but won't that only lift one side on the front?
    I have 32's and my stock bottle jack can still lift the tires a good 4" or so off the ground using the axle tubes.

If it's a stock TJ jack, I assure you it will. Black, has a slightly cupped top, yellow knob on the base? A OE TJ jack will get a TJ with 37's off the ground. I've used mine on my TJ on 35's. We just used my jack at the SHBC cruise to get the Toyota with the slashed 35 in the air. Mind you, it's a 2 stage jack, so you may not realize that it goes further than it does, think telescopic antenna. It also may be bound going from stage 1 to stage 2. Turn it harder
    -Brandon

99 TJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    If it's a stock TJ jack, I assure you it will. Black, has a slightly cupped top, yellow knob on the base? A OE TJ jack will get a TJ with 37's off the ground. I've used mine on my TJ on 35's. We just used my jack at the SHBC cruise to get the Toyota with the slashed 35 in the air. Mind you, it's a 2 stage jack, so you may not realize that it goes further than it does, think telescopic antenna. It also may be bound going from stage 1 to stage 2. Turn it harder
    so your saying i shouldnt have gotten mad and thrown it off a hillside? it got to double its size and stopped turning. I guess i still have some anger issues and get to climb a hill tomorrow

so your saying i shouldnt have gotten mad and thrown it off a hillside? it got to double its size and stopped turning. I guess i still have some anger issues and get to climb a hill tomorrow
    Do you really have to take the tire off to adjust the stops? You could get to it with a 1/2" socket wrench with an extension.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
    Do you really have to take the tire off to adjust the stops? You could get to it with a 1/2" socket wrench with an extension.

my tool supply is pretty low, so all i have are wrenches, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Look at it this way, at least you can go back and get it now. It REALLY sucks to be on the middle of the turnpike at 3 in the morning with a blown trailer tire and no jack, or so I've heard...

It should well over double it's size, actually right around 3 times. You'll see the first post come up, then the other will start to engage. Seriously, it's a jack, keep turning it.
    -Brandon

99 TJ

Thread Information