Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New tent recomendation - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tent recomendation

Less posting, more wheeling!
    ive never seen a tent that had a continuous sleeve. always broken at the top. i wish mine was all clips haha
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    Since I just bought another tent to replace the previosly mentioned Ozark Trail, I figured I'd let everyone else know. I just got an 11x11ft Eureka Bitterroot. I got it for a great price on Amazon. Has good reviews and judging by my past experience with Eureka tents in the scouts, I suspect this tent will do me good. I am a Car (Jeep) camper. I dont back pack and need to be able to bring everything in when the weather gets nasty since I usually don't have the top on the jeep, or even with the jeep. Due to the weather and my wrk schedule, I havent been ale to get it put up yet, but from my intial inspection it should be a great tent for the money. it is much heavier than the Ozark I was using and should last longer too. I am planning on putting it up when the weather breaks, seam sealing it, then using it memorial day weekend for our annual 4 day camping trip. I will post pics once it gets up and my thoghts once I spend some time in it...
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

PghOffRoad Regular
    get a hammock and a tarp!!!

tent wise I won't buy anything I cant stand up in!!!
    <----- 6' 4"
    [B]You have'nt been wheeling untill you get stuck and/or break something[/B]
    '99 TJ parting out and not much of it left

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    high peak 4 season backpack tent with long rain fly
    that is what i have .... very nice!
    here is a review
    http://cheapcampingnow.com/high-peak...kpacking-tent/
    OFFROAD
    1988 cherokee chief 4.0 inline 6
    locked front and rear
    35x12.5 r 15
    8.5'' lift

TOW RIG
    1994 chevy 3500 dually
    5.7l 454
    auto trans
    4x4 manual shift

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we3jeepers View Post
    get a hammock and a tarp!!!

tent wise I won't buy anything I cant stand up in!!!
    <----- 6' 4"
    Agree. Also 6'4" and suffered through a recent camping excursion in an old 4 person Coleman that is about 50" high. Putting on waders in the tent was not very fun. Never again, time to trade light weight for more height. Thinking about a tepee style....

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

It doesn't look like Dick's sells the particular tent I bought a couple years ago, but I'm kicking myself for getting it.

It was a 4-6 person Field and Stream tent that was about 6' high in the middle. Most of my camping is at the trailhead, so I didn't care that it was oversized -- I want to be comfortable. It was on sale, so I went for it. The tent has performed great even during a torrential downpour before I was able to waterproof the tent. The problem is that it's a huge PITA to setup. It uses 4 poles that sorta criss-cross each other, whereas most other dome tents just seem to use two poles. I'm usually still setting up my tent while everyone else is already drinking a cold one around the campfire.

I also wish that they make the tent bag a bit larger than it needed to be. Even forcing all the air out of the tent it's a huge PITA to actually get it to fit in the bag. Most times, I just get it "close enough" and let half of the roll hang out of the bag since I don't have the patience to try to re-create the folding ability of the machine that folded it initially from the factory.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Noob!
    eureka apex 2 only five punds sleeps two easy as hell to set up and they run about 100 i use it for backpacking

i just sleep in my jeep. but when i dont have that option, my wal-mart special never lets me down and its been thru some heavy rains
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

I tried sleeping in the ZJ once. Realized that I was too tall (6'4") to stretch out in the back with the seats folded down. Getting out to take a leak in the middle of the night was a debacle as well.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I've slept in the front seat of my XJ before, i'm 6'1" and only reason I was able to was I may have been mildly intoxicated....
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

you do gotta kinda curl up in the front seat, but im 6'2 and it works out. only problem is you gotta throw all your gear in the front seat unless you wanna cuddle with some spare shafts and a farm jack.

but im not one to judge.
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    I tried sleeping in the ZJ once. Realized that I was too tall (6'4") to stretch out in the back with the seats folded down. Getting out to take a leak in the middle of the night was a debacle as well.
    I used to do that (but I'm only 6' so I was able to find a way to fit), but ventilation and bugs became an issue in warmer weather. I needed to crack a window to get enough ventilation, but as a result bugs would make their way in. I'm sure I could have put up a net or something, but I just got a tent, because it was also annoying moving all the extra crap I take with me on the trails every night.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Tent is the way to go for me nowadays. Once you get old and creaky sleeping in the rig = unecessary punishment. My back is a disaster and I can't sleep in a chair/seat if I want to walk the next day. My crappy old Coleman tent goes up in a few minutes, another few for the air mattress - done.

I did sleep once in the back of my 1985 Saab 900 on a fishing trip, folded like a pretzel, but I was in my early 20's.

I'm young and its still unnecessary punishment LOL, you don't have to be old to be creaky!

As far as tents go, i've got a nice Coleman Hooligan 3 person 3 season I picked up from Midway USA for $43 on clearance last summer. I used it twice and the thing is awesome, good shape to hold up in high winds or heavy rains, the fly is awesome, setup was pretty straightforward, set it up the first time after dark and a few beers and it still only took me about 15min Can't recommend it highly enough for one person having alot of room, or for a couple it would be nice and cozy. I think they are still in production. For the price its a bargain.
    Last edited by ridgerunner97; 04-27-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Well, I finally got the new Eureka tent up this weekend. This thing is great! With a 7ft ceiling, I have room to stand up and walk around (I'm 6'1"). It has windows on all sides and mesh at the top. The door has the typical window plus a vent/window at the bottom of the door for more ventiliation. I left it completely closed up in the sun and it got hot. I opened all the windows and it cooled off instantly. My little Ozark Trail tent would be hot no matter what. I also put up the Ozark Trail tent to seam seal it as it has never been done and I am planning on keeping it as a backup and to use while camping on a small, sandy beach at Cheat Lake. The difference in the material is huge. Everything on the Eureka is thicker. It is drum tight when up and staked properly (Not done properly in the pic below) and judging by the wind we had this weekend, I suspect it will hold up very well. It uses two massive 12mm diameter fiberglass poles, and for its size, it is quite easy to put up by yourself. I did it the first time in 20 min including using all the stakes and tieing down the rain fly.

All seams on the tent and rain fly are taped from the factory and over all I am confident it will out perform my Ozark Trail tent both in keeping me dry and lasting a long time. As of right now, I highly reccomend this tent. For the price I paid for it on Amazon, it was a deal considering its size and construction.

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    If anyone is still looking for a tent, head over to Target. Target has started carrying a line of exclusive Kelty products. If you're not in the know, Kelty is a truly fantastic brand for backpacks and tents and the like. Target is offering essentially 'toned down' versions of Kelty's products. The tents are basically the same as the expensive, high end stuff but cheaper because of the elimination of things like aluminum poles. Basically, you get a great tent proven by backpackers on the cheap simply by having a little more weight to it. Fantastic deals on great gear, and I will personally attest to the quality of Kelty.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    Tim, ya had me until you said they took out the aluminum poles. I will never buy another tent with fiberglass poles.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Meh, as long as the poles aren't ridiculously thin they aren't bad. The one's I've seen in the Target-Kelty stuff seem beefy enough. Might not be a bad plan to even just buy the tent then snag some aluminum poles to put in it.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Thanks for the tip Tim. I don't mind fiberglass poles that much for all the more I'll use it. More concerned with welded seams and stuff like that - do you have one of these Target Kelty's?

I do indeed have one; as a gear hound/guide/Kelty fan I couldn't resist. I picked up a Zenith 2 for about 60 bucks, figuring it was a relatively cheap gamble on a brand I really trust. Mind you this is a pretty tiny tent, just enough for two people and some belongings, but probably a little uncomfortably close if it's two guys. It's 3 season with a full rain fly, bath tub floor, welded seems. The set up is ridiculously easy... did it myself on the first try in about 3 minutes. No sleeves for the tent poles; it's entirely clip on with just two poles that make a simple x-shape, and even the rain fly latches on with easy click-in buckles on the corners. Front vestibule is small but convenient nonetheless. Also noticed that the zipper on the door is possibly the smoothest and quietest I've ever used. It still has the nice little touches inside for convenience too, like wall pouches for storage, a gear loft, and a lantern hook.

I have only had one chance to use it and man did it get tested out. If you remember that weekend on mid-April with non-stop rain and 50+ mph winds, I spent two nights in it. Flawless. I don't have a footprint for it so I used a tarp under it for now with the edges folded under. I actually missed a side the first night which allowed some water to run between the tarp and tent floor, but it still didn't come through. We also were a little too close to one end sleeping that night and the very end of the sleeping bag got damp from being up against the wall. I corrected those problems the second night by tucking the tarp fully underneath and staying better centered in the tent. After almost 48 straight hours of rain the inside was still completely dry. Never actually staked out the guy-outs on the rain fly so that probably would also alleviate the seepage from the wall on the first night.

The wind got really vicious but the tent really didn't even sway much. Stakes stayed in, poles were fine, rain fly stayed tight with no real draft. We actually even got struck by another tent in the middle of the night that got picked up by the wind after its inhabitants abandoned it without any issues.

Can't speak for the 4 or 6 man versions they have yet, but the Zenith 2 certainly impressed me. I have no where to set it up right now as I'm back at my apartment downtown. I'll try to get a few pics later this week though.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Thanks Tim. I was probably camping out that same weekend for the first day of trout on the 15th - 16th up in Neshannock Falls. Nasty conditions - wind and rain were relentless. I had no real water intrusion other than a little bit that was blown up under the rainfly and got the mesh window wet, but it didn't actually come in and get anything wet. I had just a tarp under my old 2 man Coleman (mistakenly typed 4 man in earlier post). I'd buy that one again if it was big enough to stand in, will serve as backup duty. Getting grimy and i burned a little spot of the mesh with a lantern a few years back. Just too difficult to get waders on inside of it and stooping to haul gear out of it.

Interested in a reasonable quality larger tent that has some of the features you are talking about, I'll check out the Kelty line at Target. Sounds like the rain performance is what I am looking for, if they have a taller model I might have to pull the trigger, or at least compare it to that Eureka that notmYJ discussed.

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    May I ask why you are putting the waders on in the tent? Hell, I don't even put boots on inside my tent.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

I bought one of these last summer. I really like it, its not the biggest tent but is great for back packing.
    http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...rog-24-bx.html
    I dont under stand why people want a huge tent though, They just take more time to set up. and IMO a smaller tent stays warmer.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
    May I ask why you are putting the waders on in the tent? Hell, I don't even put boots on inside my tent.
    So i don't get dirt and debris on the bottom of the wader's neoprene soles before I put on my wading shoes. Can be done outside on a mat of course, but prefer the tent when raining. Also when changing clothes in the cold it comes in handy to be able to stand up inside the tent.

I went for the large tent because I car camp. I don't backpack at all so the added weight doesn't matter to me. But being able to stand up and change clothes, and put all my gear in it along with the queen size air mattress and still have room to walk around is nice. Especially since when we camp, its primitive. No services or utilities so the extra room is nice.

If I was a backpacker I would probably have a small 2 man tent.

Thread Information