Thread: Backpacking advice/ where to go.

Backpacking advice/ where to go.

Hey all, I'm looking for a trail for a backpacking trip. I want something short (10 to 15 miles roundtrip) and easy to moderate in difficulty. This would be a simple over-nighter.

Gonna be taking a newbie so don't want anything too long or too difficult. Plus I havent gone in 6 or 7 years.

Thanks for the help.
    Ian

I heart bumpsteer...

1993 YJ, My Jeep's as tall as I am

Bill Molestered Jebus (again.) BAD_GNR's Avatar
    Laurel Highlands is a nice, easy trail, it has the shelters which make life simple, and is close.

However, for beginners and first timers, I always like to recommend a wilderness area, or somewhere that doesn't have "designated camping areas". That way you can go at your own pace and it makes the trip a lot more enjoyable for everyone involved. I've taken friends before doing it both ways, somewhere like Laurel Highlands, and you have to do 7-8 miles a day, and some of them hated it. The wilderness route is much easier with regards to that, but it lacks some of the creature comforts.

Otter Creek and Cranberry Glades are two amazing places to go in WV, about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Otter 3 1/2 to Cranberry, but isn't even in the same league as Laurel Highlands as far as scenery. Well worth the drive IMHO.

ANF would also be a good option, lots of trails and you can camp anywhere. I'd ask Tim though (TimMichaels), he's the expert on here.
    It's about to get all kinds of stupid up in here!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    Best place to take beginners for backpacking around here is without a doubt the Bear Run Nature Preserve. It borders Ohiopyle State Park, encompasses Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water, and runs along the Youghiogheny River Gorge. Some small rock outcrops, old farm meadows and foundations, and relaxing pine groves are along a massive network of trails that create loops of varying difficulty and length. Campsites are predesignated but plentiful, and best of all, free. You just grab a map at the trailhead, pick a site and a loop and go.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Quote Originally Posted by BAD_GNR View Post
    Laurel Highlands is a nice, easy trail, it has the shelters which make life simple, and is close.

However, for beginners and first timers, I always like to recommend a wilderness area, or somewhere that doesn't have "designated camping areas". That way you can go at your own pace and it makes the trip a lot more enjoyable for everyone involved. I've taken friends before doing it both ways, somewhere like Laurel Highlands, and you have to do 7-8 miles a day, and some of them hated it. The wilderness route is much easier with regards to that, but it lacks some of the creature comforts.

Otter Creek and Cranberry Glades are two amazing places to go in WV, about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Otter 3 1/2 to Cranberry, but isn't even in the same league as Laurel Highlands as far as scenery. Well worth the drive IMHO.

ANF would also be a good option, lots of trails and you can camp anywhere. I'd ask Tim though (TimMichaels), he's the expert on here.
    I've done the ANF before, Ministers Creek is a nice trail, but thats a bit farther than I want to go right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TimMichaels View Post
    Best place to take beginners for backpacking around here is without a doubt the Bear Run Nature Preserve. It borders Ohiopyle State Park, encompasses Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water, and runs along the Youghiogheny River Gorge. Some small rock outcrops, old farm meadows and foundations, and relaxing pine groves are along a massive network of trails that create loops of varying difficulty and length. Campsites are predesignated but plentiful, and best of all, free. You just grab a map at the trailhead, pick a site and a loop and go.
    Great, thanks Tim. That sounds just about perfect.
    Ian

I heart bumpsteer...

1993 YJ, My Jeep's as tall as I am

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Coopers Rocks in Morgantown WV is also awesome. You can hike down to the lake and camp then baack up the mtn, it's very sweet.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Thread Information