Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Ridgerunner97's XJ Build
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ridgerunner97's XJ Build

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

Ridgerunner97's XJ Build

Well I've been a member here for a while so I figured it was time to create a build thread for my XJ. She ain't real impressive compared to what some of you guys are putting together but I figured i'd throw it up here anyway.

Started off with a 97 XJ 4.0L, AW4, NP231, Dana 30HP, and a Chrysler 8.25 29 spline rear. Took me a while to find one in my price range that I liked and wound up with this one after a few months.

This is how I picked her up, this is the first Saturday I had it and I took it up the mountains to try it out on some of the forest roads LOL, parked in front of my grandparents place.

So after that I got some new meats and took it out stock to Casparis in the snow

After that I wheeled it for a while stock to get the feel for it.

So got the itch and lifted it in July of last year. Went with a 3in Rough Country Lift.

So that is where it still is height wise i'm really happy with the lift. I then acquired a set of Super Swamper LTB's off a member on here and a free set of factory steelies off of Josh1ofakindXJ (thanks bud )

Wheeled it open diffs and the swampers for a while a few pics of that combo in action

This is my XJ, Tom's TJ, and Steve's Traveler @ Casparis in Dec.

So I realized very quickly I needed Rocker protection and a locker in the ole XJ to take it to the next level Sooo I employed Brandon's skills to make me a set of sliders up for my Jeep

Those sliders have taken some SERIOUS abuse and without them I honestly would have not been able to run some of the trails I have or do some of the maneuvers around trees and rocks that I have done because of them allowing me to pivot around them.

In March of this year I installed an Aussie Locker in the rear of my XJ with the help of Ragnorox, SuperScout and a big thank you to Ragnorox's buddy Dan for lettin me use his garage to do it inside. No real pics of the install to busy gettin it in and then drinkin beer LOL

Some shots of what the Aussie has let me conquer without it I'd have had some serious trouble on these spots

I also threw a set of JKS Discos on her courtesy of TJBlair and a front skid as well. It basically is sitting like this right now and also trimmed the front bumper end caps.

So Today I ordered a set of Rusty's Flex Flares for the Jeep and am going to cut it way out to fit 33s and HOPEFULLY 34in LTB's. Also gotta pick up some Johnny Joints and bushings as well as tube adapters to put together a set of custom homeade lower control arms and it should be good to go for a while.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    well thats good to know how you got there. i was curious. i didnt, however, even know it was lifted haha. my bad. maybe it was because of the meats you had. if you still had the stock stuff im sure i would have noticed more.

i cant wait to see it up 9"s more and on 37"s haha that would totally be you

j/k really, i dont wanna see that. but id like to see those 34"s tho
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

oh an good job ordering those flares. last time we were out that pass. front was doing its damndest to come all the way off
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Flares have arrived, i'm very happy with Rusty's, I didn't have any of the issues dealing with them that you read about all over the internet, maybe I got lucky idk. I got the Flex version of their rivet/screw on flares, they are made by a company in Australia for Rusty's. They are like a heavy rubber almost its hard to describe, maybe a rubbery urethane and I can literally twist the flares in a knot and they don't break However the quality as far as material thickness in the flange where the fasteners attach to the body is a little lower than I hoped for but still cosmetically fine and dandy. I plan on attaching with stainless Self Tappers for ease of replacement and speed in getting them on or off in the future. I'll post pics Tuesday after I hack her and install the flares.

Homeade Lower Control Arms, A/C Compressor Onboard Air Setup, JB Conversions SYE + Stock Front DS, and some rear quarter armor from OR-FAB coming up next, Stay tuned!
    94 YJ MTO

I really like the 34" ltb's on cherokees. I'm a big fan of the ltb itself and it seems to really excel on jeeps in the 34" flavor.
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Agreed. I love watching these threads!

Lil update, tore the unibody under the drivers fender. Gotta weld it back up. Also cut the fenders out to put my Rusty's Flex Flares on.

Cuttin for the flares bein a dipshit

Finished fronts

Unibody Tore below the drivers rocker Sunday in a washout leveraged the slider downward climbing out of the washout since the Jeep was basically on the Drivers door. I basically tore behind the pinch weld and the inner rocker tore in two.

The plan for before winter since i'm broke is to clean up the steel under there and using a combination of angle iron and flat sheet i'm going to stitch the ole girl back together, then in the spring its gonna get boatsided and frame stiffeners so nothing like this happens again and its gonna get a bit taller and some other lil tidbits here and there next summer.
    94 YJ MTO

Those Rusty's flares look awesome!

You should be in good shape with that tear since you still have the inner rocker. You'll be removing everything when you box it in anyway so it should be fine. I forgot to look around for some write up's so I'll post up when I find them.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Bout time you put those damn flares on.... Looks good!!
    01 XJ RE 4.5 33s...

The flares look good. nice job.
    need more XJ's out and about
    Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.
    Thanks to all. Meanwhile we will see you on the trails.

Thanks guys. Its slowly comin together, I've realized that if i'm gonna wheel this grocery getter anymore, I need to beef the unibody up before I go any further. A strong recommendation to anyone running an XJ and is just gettin into it, If your going to actually wheel it, get Frame Stiffeners and good sliders ASAP!!!! I wish i'd have done stiffeners and boatsides first thing!
    94 YJ MTO

I told you so. I even found you a good deal on a set of TNT stiffeners not far from you. The guy probably still has them. Get it done hippy. Let me know if you need a hand

Trail Leader
    Flares are looking good man. I can't complain about Rusty's either. I ordered a bumper off them and they said it would take two weeks for me to get, five days later it showed up.
    00 XJ 4.5" lift 32" swampers

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
    I told you so. I even found you a good deal on a set of TNT stiffeners not far from you. The guy probably still has them. Get it done hippy. Let me know if you need a handjob
    Fixed it for you Mykal!
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

LMFAO you guys are ridiculous. Hippy? where the fawk did that come from? I'm about the total opposite, Merle Haggard was singin about me in Okie From Muskogee.

Mark totally wins the awesomeness award for his quote edit priceless. I can see this thread is goin to go to hell quickly, thanks guys I don't know what i'd do without you guys for comedic relief.
    94 YJ MTO

logs
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Well quick update, haven't made much progress, picked up 5 soft 8s off Jeepinruby, picked up a 2in receiver off Mykal, got the material for my LCAs only need the weld in bushings and the johnny joints. Might be changing that plan though I found a good deal on some parts so we'll see where it goes, If I can scrape some money together. I'm havin the typical broke college student issues right now though LOL
    94 YJ MTO

you ever fix your torn unitbody issues?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    I'm havin the typical broke college student issues right now though LOL
    I'm having that too..... and I'm not even in college!!!! LOL
    Good luck with gettin' the parts.
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    you ever fix your torn unitbody issues?

how about you just go the fuuuuck away. not even the rev wants you here. so GTFO

Web Wheeler!
    [URL="http://4wheelin.ning.com"]http://4wheelin.ning.com[/URL]

Haha thanks Joe, its slowly coming together. Pretty sure I want to keep this thing very streetable but very capable at the same time, so far its workin out that way.
    94 YJ MTO

I am always surprised at where that thing goes on 31s.

word^^

Quote Originally Posted by Dick.Breakey View Post
    how about you just go the fuuuuck away. not even the rev wants you here. so GTFO
    how bout you put that dick back in your mouth. there is no reason why should should have any concern over what happened when i sold the jeep. the kid looked it over 5 times by himself and 3 times with both friends and family and decided it was it was what he wanted regardless of the problems. he didnt ask if it had any problems, let alone if it had frame problems. i saw it the other day, i have pictures, its even more hacked up now than when i had it. if you are so concerned about it, ill give you the kids address and you can take it up with him.its out of my hands, i dont really give a shit if you want me here or not, i have just as much right to be here as you do. if you have any problems with me, either ignore me or PM me.

Thread Information