Thread: I can't help but laugh.

Less posting, more wheeling!

I can't help but laugh.

I really can't help but laugh anymore. I've been chasing an oil leak in my Cj7 for awhile now. It looked like it was my valve cover gasket leaking. That kinda made sense because when I was putting this engine in last Summer/fall I had the valve cover off and never replaced the gasket. So I picked up a valve cover gasket, put it on and went wheeling the past two weekends. I've always made sure to keep an eye on my oil level and usually add to it as needed. No big deal, it's a jeep it marks it's territory.

This past sunday I went out to my girlfriends house to wash off my jeep and decided to really clean it, motor and all. I wanted to get all the residual oil off the motor, trans, transfer case and my belly pan. We used some degreaser and Purple Power and just went to town with the pressure washer. I had my jeep crazy clean. I let it sit there for a couple hours to dry out and it never left a drop of oil. I was convinced that my oil leak was solved with the valve cover gaskets and any drips between then and replacing the valve cover gasket were just residual oil dripping down.
    I drove it home sunday night and parked it in the gravel. Monday morning I decided to drive my jeep to work since it was a nice day. At lunch on monday I noticed a puddle of oil under my jeep, crawled under it and everything was pretty much covered in oil. I was pretty pissed off and thought maybe my rear main seal went. Talked to girlfriend about bringing it out to her house to have her dad give me a hand replacing the rear main since I've never done one. I stopped out and we were looking over and my jeep and there was oil coming from my oil fill cap on my valve cover, down the back of the motor and onto the bellhousing and dripping down from there. I was losing a good bit of oil. We started my jeep to see if we could see the oil actually leaking but really couldn't. He removed my oil fill cap and pressure escaped. A good bit of pressure. I thought maybe my PCV's were clogged. They weren't. We checked the vacuum going to them and that was strong. I was running out of time so I left it there for the night. Last night went back over to do a compression test wondering if I had a bad head gasket, valve, cracked piston or head. The compression test results were:
    1) 190
    3)190 with a very slight bleed off (bad valve stem seal?)
    5) 90
    7) 90

2) 200
    4) 195
    6) 200 then rapidly decreasing
    195 with a rapid loss also.

When it was running the pressure was building pretty quick which lead us to believe that compression from the motor was escaping. The compression test confirms IMO that I have a pretty serious problem.
    Comments? Suggestions? Solutions?
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

sounds like a cracked head gasket between the 2 & 4 cylinders. are you getting any coolant leaks in the engine? my volvo did the same thing, a hairline crack in the gasket between 2 cylinders, still ran but the compressed coolant in the cylinders made it overheat.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Delete your last post and sell it to Gibshit.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Is 5 & 7 a typo? Is it really 90 or should it be 190?
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

My TSM says:

MORE THAN 25% LEAKAGE AND AIR ESCAPES THROUGH OIL FILLER CAP OPENING ONLY:

Stuck or broken piston ring(s); cracked piston; worn rings and /or cylinder wall.

or

MORE THAN 25% LEAKAGE ON ADJACENT CYLINDER:

Head gasket leaks or crack in cylinder block or head between adjacent cylinders.

Jeff, the idea already crossed my mind. And Tom I have a feeling it may be a head gasket on one bank and a cracked piston, or rings on the other bank.

The passenger side bank might not be bad since it's not reading a 10% or more difference in compression. I could be wrong but less than 10% is acceptable.

it's the dropping off of pressure that has me thinking the gasket is bad. Maybe I'll do a double compression test tonight. guages on multiple cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Delete your last post and sell it to Gibshit.
    spit out my dinner laughing at this comment.

Yeah my oil does not appear to have coolant in it. and vise versa. I think I'm going to do a cooling system pressure check to see if the gasket is in fact bad. If the engine is bad there might be a really good video of me grenading the engine.

spent some time today getting it ready to have the engine pulled. Took me all of two hours to get everything ready minus the motor mount bolts. I left them in to keep the engine in place til i find a cherry picker.

so are we for sure the motor is bad? or are you just doing it to not have to worry about it later?
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Girlfriends dad has a spare motor sitting in his garage for me. There is little doubt in either of our minds that my motor has some serious issues. I have not pulled the heads yet to see exactly what yet.

well thats cool. maybe pull it apart after and re build it. then have a new motor to drop in whenever
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

That's the game plan. I like the idea of having a fresh motor to drop in so his motor is just a temporary solution while I rebuild mine. It only took like two hours to get it ready to pull and I needed to pull my fenders, hood, and grill off to paint them anyways so it's all working out.

sounds good. im glad some thing like this is turning out for the best haha

Brent, I'm glad you're motivated. I remember a while back you were a little PO'd. Keep up the good work! Nothing on 4 wheels is ever easy lol.

now that I have the hard parts figured out, it's all really easy. I'm kinda pissed about my bell housing because now it'll be later in the week before I have my jeep running again but sh*t happens.

Thread Information