Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Differences between doublers and twin sticking (not that kind haha)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences between doublers and twin sticking (not that kind haha)

Less posting, more wheeling!

Differences between doublers and twin sticking (not that kind haha)

so ive heard about twin sticking and doublers and what not. but im not quite understanding the differences. the twin stick i know allows you go get into fwd only and even rwd low, but i dont know what a doubler does. i thought doubler was the same as twin sticking for some reason. but when i was searching the forum i saw some posts that make me think otherwise now. is there a simple answer to this? and lastly, how would i find out what is in my new jeep to see if this is something i might wanna do. i mean im gonna be tearing into this thing next month putting all the new to me parts on it, so i thought this might be something i can do while ive got everything out, though i know it will take longer. just thought id get yalls knowledge on this.

random question too, will the ausie locker easily break a 30 up front?
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Doubling is referring to gearing. Two transfer cases butted up against each other, more or less.

Twin sticks is just more control over whether the front or rear is engaged and when.

You can have a doubler with a single lever. You can have a twin sticked doubler, or a twin sticked regular transfer case.

I wouldn't advise either on your Jeep at this point.

as for the Aussie - very open ended question that's asked quite often. It will raise the chances of you breaking a shaft if you have lots of traction and give it too much gas, but it also gives you more traction therefore negating the need for so much gas. It depends on how you drive it.

The aussie will probably be fine depending on tire size. I ran one with stock shafts but on 35's. I averaged 1.5 shafts (u-joints) a trip. But I apparently have a heavy foot and drive like an idiot

I think you'll be ok up to 33's and don't get crazy with the gas pedal. JMO.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

OK. yeah i dont drive real heavy typically anyways. i like to crawl around.

why wouldnt you advise either?
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I got an aussie in the front of my XJ on 31"'s. Love it.

I don't think you need to piss with a doubler or twin stick right now either.

For my XJ that I trailer around, I'm kind of looking at making a doubler. It's kind of complicated so I'm a little hesitant to tear into it.

If you don't even know what they do, what are you going to do with them? Doublers are useful for giant tires and extremely low crawl ratios - twin sticks are great for sliding your front end or back end into place. In the buggy if I need to bring the front end around and leave the back end in place, I'll put on the e-brake, disengate the rear axle, and let the front end pull itself around pivoting on the back.

A couple things: You just don't need that... I did for what I intended to do. Also you'll need an Atlas, Stak, 300, or similar case to do it. You're not going to do it to a Jeep 231/242, etc transfer case (or at least shouldn't IMHO).

ah ok. so it would take additional parts to make it work. i just figured, even if it was difficult, it could be something fun to add to it because i do like the idea of a lower gear ratio for crawling around in a rock garden. thats mainly it. and given its a dedicated trail rig, its not like it would hurt me to have it out for the count while i do it.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick.Breakey View Post
    ah ok. so it would take additional parts to make it work. i just figured, even if it was difficult, it could be something fun to add to it because i do like the idea of a lower gear ratio for crawling around in a rock garden. thats mainly it. and given its a dedicated trail rig, its not like it would hurt me to have it out for the count while i do it.
    why don't you gear your axles deep (like 4.88's). while you're not going to get the ridiculous crawl ratio that you would from a doubler, it'll still be PLENTY of gear with 4.88's and your stock 2.7:1 low range. there is a 2wd low kit for the 231, and there's a 4:1 kit... i've also seen rubi cases go for about a grand.

i can't see you NEEDING a doubler with 33's... i'm not saying it isn't cool
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

yeah needing it is definitely not the issue haha. I just like the odea of the stupid low crawing ability. And I'd like to regear. That's gonna be a whole nother bonus to pay for that. Unless I get a party together to teach me about it, the labor is fairly steep for it. It will be a while before I do anything besides a complete swap over from the other rig I'm gonna get, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

yeah needing it is definitely not the issue haha. I just like the odea of the stupid low crawing ability. And I'd like to regear. That's gonna be a whole nother bonus to pay for that. Unless I get a party together to teach me about it, the labor is fairly steep for it. It will be a while before I do anything besides a complete swap over from the other rig I'm gonna get, but I thought I'd ask anyways.
    i was scared of it back in the day. just read the write ups, take your time, and you'll be fine. i'm sure people will come help.

What gears are in it now?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

3.73's. I pm'd mykal to see what gears are in his. If their steeper I might swap over the axles. So it's not as bad as some of the 3.07ls I've seen i n some stock XJ's, but still not as low as I wanna be.

If the lockers are already installed in his axles, i'd advise swapping the entire housings.

yeah. I'll definitely follow a writeup if I do it myself, but having someone who has done i t before there to help is more of a confidence and assurance thing. This is a learning rig for some of the things I haven't done before. ithankfully I'm mechanically inclined so it shouldn't be too bad. I just don't wanna f*ck shit up too bad in the process

I'm pretty sure the 30 has the locker in there. So I might just do that. Housing doesn't include the gears right? And I'll wait for the gear oil changes till I get his too, just in case

I dont think that you need a doubler or twin stick right now either. But a 231/300 doubler is very cost effective and can get you both.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

I'm pretty sure the 30 has the locker in there. So I might just do that. Housing doesn't include the gears right? And I'll wait for the gear oil changes till I get his too, just in case
    I'm saying if his axles are built with lockers already, and have gears over 3.73 which they probably do, more the ENTIRE AXLE only. Messing with bolts is much easier than messing with lockers and gears. You'll thank yourself for keeping it simple.

again, NEED, is not the issue haha.

but thats good to know Jeff, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    I'm saying if his axles are built with lockers already, and have gears over 3.73 which they probably do, more the ENTIRE AXLE only. Messing with bolts is much easier than messing with lockers and gears. You'll thank yourself for keeping it simple.
    yeah i figure that would be the easy way. lets hope its like that haha

I think Mykals gears are 3.55s I think
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Not to throw this off topic, but how can I check what gear ratio I am running? And in a TJ with a D44 and 33s what ratio should it be?

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...ght=gear+ratio

some of the basics are here: http://www.baseline4x4.com/Jeep_4x4_Tech.asp - this chart helps. You ideally should be in the orange for a street rig. The numbers are RPM.

Last edited by OverkillZJ; 08-05-2010 at 02:21 PM.

you are throwing this off topic DICK!! hahaha j/k. someone will answer

Quote Originally Posted by Doty152 View Post
    Not to throw this off topic, but how can I check what gear ratio I am running? And in a TJ with a D44 and 33s what ratio should it be?

and i tried to post this earlier, but i was having issues. mykals are 3.55's. i need to figure for sure what i have out back so i can tell if the 8.25 on his is better or not.

id probably go with 4.88's for mine. 33's. one block in the red, but its not a dd so who gives a damn, its lower haha

you are throwing this off topic DICK!! hahaha j/k. someone will answer

and i tried to post this earlier, but i was having issues. mykals are 3.55's. i need to figure for sure what i have out back so i can tell if the 8.25 on his is better or not.
    The servers being a bitch today. SAN crashed.

I'd run the 8.25 over the 35 any day assuming it's the 29 spline.

yeah. well if its the 44 in mine then it wouldnt be worth my time, imo, to do it. and its from a 95 i believe, so i think iths the 27 spline

Thread Information