Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dick's Purpose Built Adventure XJ Build - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick's Purpose Built Adventure XJ Build

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    i'll be starting on my xj again in probably a week or so, im getting ansy! LOL
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    just keep it and do a homeade posi-lock for it. Instead of using the vacuum to engage the fork in the front axle, it uses a push/pull type cable. And if you don't like the disconnect front end, just look for a High Pinion Dana 30 non disco out of an XJ for it. You can find em for not much money if you keep lookin.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    haha yeah. you have any plans for it? or just make it drivable right now?

i still need to complete my first floor install. theres one part of the old floor thats farther away from the new floor, so i have to beat it up into the new floor. then ill either just seal it, or try and put a couple more screws in there. in 2 weeks ill order the rest of my floors, and then that vinyl floor stuff. once i get the new floors done, the interior(minus storage) will be done. im pretty excited. i think ill be able to get another set of wheels and tires from this one guy that should allow me to pass inspection too. their the factory black steel wheels jeep offered in the nineties if you know what im talkin about. im so excited. i just wanna drive it to work one day at this point haha
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    just keep it and do a homeade posi-lock for it. Instead of using the vacuum to engage the fork in the front axle, it uses a push/pull type cable. And if you don't like the disconnect front end, just look for a High Pinion Dana 30 non disco out of an XJ for it. You can find em for not much money if you keep lookin.
    whats the homemade posi-lock all about? ill have to naxja it and see whats what. though i do like the idea of a high pinion. i think this 8.25 is a low pinion. or if its not, its really low for being regular haha
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    nah just make it drivable, it'll be a DD so its not gonna be anything special. floors, engine, bumpers drive it.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    nah just make it drivable, it'll be a DD so its not gonna be anything special. floors, engine, bumpers drive it.

i love the simplicity. makes perfect sense. although, not making perfect sense makes me giggle so yay for it not being a DD!!! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Dick.Breakey View Post
    whats the homemade posi-lock all about? ill have to naxja it and see whats what. though i do like the idea of a high pinion. i think this 8.25 is a low pinion. or if its not, its really low for being regular haha
    The 8.25 is a low pinion. Its not a big deal, its a rear drive axle, There are really not many "factory" high pinon rear drive axles in the auto industry. Currie makes a Hi-9 Ford rear, as do some other companies. I don't know about any other rears that are more common that are a high pinion rear. The only reason really to want a High Pinion front is the reverse rotation gearset is a bit more durable i'm told and handles the torque input better because the pinion is pushing against the drive side of the ring gear. It also eliminates difficulties with driveline geometry in a lifted vehicle since the pinion is above the center line of the axle tubes.
    94 YJ MTO

ok. i figure ill go ahead and not worry about getting rid of the vacuum disconnect till it fails. no reason to fix what aint broke. i cant wait to drive this thing. its been a while since i drove a jeep

a black version of this is what im gonna pick up. i love that wheel.

and jon, thanks for clarifying that. makes sense. and other than clearance, i didnt know why high pinion was desirable.

so quick update to the next few days. im studying for my 6, so i wont be on much or updating ideas. i have a request from yall. in the mean time, i would like yall to give some ideas on the low budget upgrades. such as...... interior mods, roof rack mods, power upgrades etc etc.

also. this i need soon, theres a guy parting a 98 4door with a bad motor. thats where i got the axle. im picking up the complete stock roof rack for $20 this week since i forgot about it over the weekend. anything else i should pick up? its a 98 4.0 231 4 door

snatch the 231 transfer case if it can be had for 100 or less
    94 YJ MTO

is it worth more? or good for a spare? ooh so i can work on the doubler seperate. good idea.

ok. so for $90 im picking up the 231, front and rear drive shafts, and the aw4. so ill have an aw4 for sale for $20 (its in working order, ill verify the miles later this week) later on this week. ill try and get everything i can thats attached to it(sensors and all that jazz).

anything else i should look out for?

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    It's tempting to come get that AW4. I don't have any spare automatics.

My internet is out at home till Tuesday (Thanks Verizon!) and I can't upload the pictures of the cargo area from work so you'll have to wait haha.

And as for my large amount of gear in the XJ, you have to remember, 6 months out of the year I'm at college in another state, without much of a garage to speak of, so the XJ doubles as a vehicle and tool box.

Coolers Dick. Especially since this is going to be an expedition build. You'll want a tranny cooler for sure (The aw4's are bullet proof until they overheat), power steering cooler maybe. Also pick up the vent lines from that donor xj if they're in good shape. Axle vents and transfercase.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

ah coolers. good deal. i think the kid cut the vent line for the axle. ill figure it out though. worst case is i make my own. should i pick up the stock cooler? can i add an additional stock type cooler?

since im picking up this 231, i think im gonna look at doing the doubler now. might as well since its gonna be a couple months till i can get the lift and tires.

ok. i figure ill go ahead and not worry about getting rid of the vacuum disconnect till it fails. no reason to fix what aint broke. i cant wait to drive this thing. its been a while since i drove a jeep
    you can just use a 10 dollar (if that) choke cable. it's awesome because off road you can disco you're front axle and turn much easier when just beebopping down the trail
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    you can just use a 10 dollar (if that) choke cable. it's awesome because off road you can disco you're front axle and turn much easier when just beebopping down the trail
    yeah i read something on that. i figure when its open(like it is now) it wont matter much

yeah i read something on that. i figure when its open(like it is now) it wont matter much
    it's even better when it's open, because it essentially gives you 2wd low. when you disco the axle it just spins that inner shaft and you get 2 low. i loved doing that (my front 30 was open too).
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

I use a small Ford Bronco II transmission cooler I got from a junkyard for a power steering cooler. I have a large generic transmission cooler from Advance Auto for the AW4 cooler. I have a temperature gauge on the line going to the cooler to keep an eye on it. The axillary fan is on a switch if things get hot. Usually when I hit the trail I just turn on the fan and let it go till I'm finished wheeling. The cowl induction hood lets a ton of the hot air out of the engine bay. Most people use hood vents or use washers or spacers to lift the back of the hood up. I used the spacers till I made the cowl induction hood.

i figure ill go ahead and use washers as a safe bet. cheap, and helps get the job done. and will give me alil more room for the snorkel that will be going into the cowl.

my customer(advance auto) is gonna pull a cooler for me and a gauge. he'll be bringing it by tomorrow. thanks for the idea as he walked in my doors haha

To get the temperature gauge mechanical pick-up in the line, I had to get a pipe "T", thread the pick-up into it, and then use barbed fittings and hose clamps to put it in the coolant line.

I assume you'll want a picture of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    to get the temperature gauge mechanical pick-up in the line, i had to get a pipe "t", thread the pick-up into it, and then use barbed fittings and hose clamps to put it in the coolant line.

I assume you'll want a picture of that too.
    I do!
    94 YJ MTO

Thread Information