Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NewBee looking for welder for Teenage Son

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    The only real decision for the welding you'll do on a Jeep is 110 vs 220. You simply want to go MIG (wire with gas) if you just want to get down to joining pieces of steel together. You can't go wrong with Hobart, lincoln, or Miller. Hobart even uses a Miller gun. Think of Miller as a more expensive version of Lincoln, but one that's still built to last if it's not used in production every day.

Stick is more versitile and cheaper to buy, but much more difficult. I ended up with a Hobart 220 mig about 6 years ago and couldn't be happier with it. It's been used for things I never imagined. 110 is more convenient, but 220 came in very handy when building trusses over axles and things that required welding thicker metal.

EDIT: just caught up on the thread: that'll do!
    Last edited by OverkillZJ; 08-31-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Well lets see some of these bad ass welds. seriously though did he start burning wire yet.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Honestly he has not started to weld yet. I asked if he was ready to get his supplies etc., & he needed to save a little. But you should see the welder. He scrubbed it in & out, sanded it & painted it. It looked great before, but now it looks nearly new.
    I think we will be getting the gas & supplies in the next week or so. THX again.
    m
    Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.
    Thanks to all. Meanwhile we will see you on the trails.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    awesome! you got a good kid there man! POST PICS OF THE WELDER!!! LOL!
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Thread Information