Thread: TJ Wiring Upgrade

Trail Leader

TJ Wiring Upgrade

So between my sound system, my headlights, and my winch, my electrical system is ... well... stock. And I am of a firm belief that "stock" can be problematic. I can't hold the winch button down for more than 3 seconds without bouncing the needle on my battery gauge. What does it take to upgrade all of the wiring for a TJ, and how much will it cost me to do so? I've bounced around the idea of upgrading the wiring and running dual batteries to pave the way for smooth operation of my winch, and the addition of off-road lights and on-board air in the future.
    Originally Posted by [B]skeebs[/B]
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dan58;233662]The ugly as hell police says illegal.[/QUOTE]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    What is your current alternator? The 90 or 105amp? If you search a bit there is a mod to take a 136amp alternator out of a I believe a 99-03 durango. Should be a bolt in.

Also for the winch look into getting a deep cycle battery. I did that with out upgrading my alternator and some times you have to stop mid pull to charge up a bit but that lets you winch cool down. I also recommend running a second fuse box/relay box for any lights, etc. It is really easy to do and if you don't have abs you can put in in the tray under your master cylinder.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    the 136 will bolt right up.. i did it on my I6 and then got another one for the V8.. many 318s had them.. (i belive) few I6s had them.. many if not all 360s had them.. basically any dodge ram, ram van, (early) durango, grand cherokee, with the 318 or 360s are your best bet.. ill get the part numbers that tell you how many amps it is.. as long as its got the box, and thick red wire itll hook up.. you haveta turn the black boot around where the red wire bolts on, and favor your belt to the back 6 ribs since the V8s are 7 rib.. or change the pulleys it doesnt matter

part number for upgraded 136 amp... 56027913
    1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
    1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
    1998 Dodge Durango
    1994-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
    1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

search mallcrawlin.. nd hear.. i think i did a write up on it...

and here this ones pretty good
    http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/

also for wiring do the big 3 upgrade.. alt to +batt.. -batt to ground.. frame to motor wire.. it helped mine a tiny lil bit but the 136 amp alt did wonders for Jeep.. charges above the 14 on my gauge.

edit: not to diss or contradict the guys that do this but.. to the dual alt, dual batt thing, isolator, extra wiring thing; the race car for 2010 Hot Rod mags drag week coming up, we are running 3 electric fans, MSD 6AL2 ignition, FAST fuel injection sys, headlights, tailights, turn signals, wipers, towing a trailer with lights, and back up lights, and gauges.. the goal is 1/4 ETs of 6 seconds.. all we use are 2 optimas and a 1 wire 130 amp alt.. we never have a prob... my point being if you upgrade the wires.. the 136 will be perfect for all ypur lights, and winches...
    Last edited by ZJ_5.2LIMITED; 09-05-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    99 WJ 4.7, 545RFE, 247 - BB on 30s
    95 ZJ 5.2, 46RH, 249 - BB on 32" BFG MT
    02 WJ 4.7HO, 545RFE, 247 - stock but breaks the tires loose on the 1-2 shift

Less posting, more wheeling!
    theres also a 158amp alternator also. but if you wana run that you need new fuselinks,0-2 guage cables, new 160amp main fuse for the power box. but just the 136amp is perfect except for the need of a new alt-batt cable at least a 4guage. plus there is a little bit of grinding to do on the alt mount because the case is a little larger than the stock 90. just remove the mount from the engine and do it, not very hard. i did this all on my 95 xj and it does a world of difference for power supply. orr last option is having your stock alt recoiled at a good rebuild shop. ive had this done to but it ran me 200 bucks which is more than a stock 136amp alternator new.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    never had to do any of that on the 4.0 in the ZJs.. dif mounts??? mine was direct bolt in w/ the exception of pushing/persuading the bushing in or out i forget which but you bascially favor the bushing in the whole way one way or the other.. removed the bat tray and did the swap in about an hour.. the only other mod was to remove the old black clip thing on the old alt where the red wire bolts on, and put it on the new alt so it was clocked the same way...
    99 WJ 4.7, 545RFE, 247 - BB on 30s
    95 ZJ 5.2, 46RH, 249 - BB on 32" BFG MT
    02 WJ 4.7HO, 545RFE, 247 - stock but breaks the tires loose on the 1-2 shift

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    theres also a 158amp alternator also. but if you wana run that you need new fuselinks,0-2 guage cables, new 160amp main fuse for the power box. but just the 136amp is perfect except for the need of a new alt-batt cable at least a 4guage. plus there is a little bit of grinding to do on the alt mount because the case is a little larger than the stock 90. just remove the mount from the engine and do it, not very hard. i did this all on my 95 xj and it does a world of difference for power supply. orr last option is having your stock alt recoiled at a good rebuild shop. ive had this done to but it ran me 200 bucks which is more than a stock 136amp alternator new.

Yeah I was thinking about upgrading all of the wiring and running something heavier. As for the other battery tray, I was hoping to mount my ARB air compressor there.
    [I]there should be specific criteria people must meet in order to purchase a jeep

[/I][QUOTE=mangotango;227621]^^^Gettin' laid in the shower and you're complaining about the water? Really?
    That's like having someone give you a million bucks and complaining about the color of the check.[/QUOTE]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Mean Green alternators are a nice way to beef up your charging system. I had one on my 90 cherokee and it worked well with my 12000 mile marker winch. Still have the alt if anyone is interested. 90 xj with 4.0 alt mounted low.

Trail Leader
    I've heard mixed reviews on the Mean Green. There's another company that sells a waterproof 200amp alternator and guarantees it for a while...I'll have to get the link from a buddy of mine.

Thread Information