Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled Over While Carrying...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Pulled Over While Carrying...

This is an email I received from U.S. Concealed Carry.com I do not agree or disagree with it.

I am a cop.
    I stop you for a violation of motor vehicle code or law.
    You have a weapon.
    You have a concealed weapons permit.

What happens now?

I am writing this article as a cop. I am and have been that armed citizen, but that is not what I want to focus on. I am writing this article as a guide to dealing with us cops. Now, everyone has a story about cops. A large majority of those stories may not be what one could describe as "the most wonderful and joyous occasion in recent memory".

Realizing that we are always judged as a group, I try not to be "one of those cops". I have a background in the Marine Corps and grew up shooting and hunting from my earliest memories. My part time job (most cops have some other gig) is working in a local gun shop selling firearms.

I do not question the armed citizen's reasons behind carrying a gun. I understand and promote the concept of an armed and educated citizenry. There are differences in how you and I carry and employ weapons and how we may be involved in a deadly force encounter, but that isn't what I want to focus on either.

My goal here is to provide food for thought when dealing with a police encounter on the street or in your vehicle, while you are armed. I want to do this from my prospective as it may help you to understand it better. Sometimes in order to see things clearly, we have to see it from the reverse angle.

Where I work and live, in Michigan, folks who have a concealed pistol license are required to inform the officer stopping them that they have a weapon with/on them. They can be subject to a civil infraction fine if they do not disclose this information. When not carrying the weapon, they need not do this.

I realize that other states may not require this disclosure to be made. Some people may say that it is none of my business whether or not you have your weapon on you or in your car. To a certain extent, I can understand this. It seems intrusive when you are stopped and detained on a traffic offense. It certainly seems intrusive when you get a ticket right?

My question is why not tell the officer? What do you have to lose by telling me that you have your weapon on you?

Are you lawfully carrying your weapon? Yes.

Is that the reason I stopped you? No.

What are the ramifications of the officer knowing that you have your weapon on you (lawfully)? Well, I have heard many stories about cops doing things such as taking possession of the weapon during the course of the traffic stop. I have heard of officers who may instruct the weapon to be placed in a visible spot in the vehicle until the stop is concluded.

I have heard all sorts of stories about the cops that don't even know how to unload a different weapon than the one that they carry. I do not do any of these things, and I would not recommend these practices to other officers.

Truth be told, I very rarely come into contact with concealed pistol licensees in general. Why? CCW people just don't break the law that much. Upon occasion, I have stopped those with weapons permits in my jurisdiction.

My concerns when approaching the vehicle are primarily the occupants of the car. Traffic is always a secondary concern as is the rest of the environment of the stop, but that is my problem, not necessarily yours.

What I look for may be the positioning of the hands. What I like to see is both hands visible. A good place for the driver is on the wheel, 10 and 2 if you will. It is easy for me to see this as I approach from either side of the vehicle.

Passengers in a vehicle who may be armed can place their hands in their laps if possible. This may seem somewhat remedial, but you would not believe how many people start digging in their vehicle like they were mining for gold.

Picture yourself in my situation; just clearing an intensive domestic assault call or stand off with a suicidal subject and my first traffic stop afterwards is searching frantically around the car for god knows what.

1. Don't dig around...

Don't dig around looking for your paperwork, that French fry you dropped when the lights came on or your kid's pacifier. I do not enjoy putting you at gunpoint. It is stressful for both of us. We can avoid this problem by staying put and keep our hands comfortably visible.

I say 'stay put'; I mean stay in the vehicle. I realize that some jurisdictions may ask you to step from the vehicle. Do so when asked. Again, this may seem remedial, but someone who exits a car, without being asked, on a traffic stop gives an impression that he is either going to do us harm or run from us.

2. Eye Contact...

Make eye contact with the officer. Nothing says "I'm crazy" or "I have something to hide" like the 1000 yard stare down the roadway. This behavior has led to several searches, arrests, and some altercations upon further investigation.

3. Smile!

Like Mr. Rourke of Fantasy Island was fond of saying "Smiles everybody, smiles!" Make eye contact and smile. It will let the officer know that he can communicate with you.

4. Keep it hidden...

If you have the gun lying on the seat next to you or in plain sight, plan on having that muzzle related talk mentioned earlier. We know that an action beats a reaction almost every time. A visible weapon is an accessible weapon to a suspect. Concealed Carry means CONCEALED. Unless regulated by statute, I do not want to see your weapon. It would seem obvious, but even if you know this officer, this is no time to play a prank or joke.

I don't come to your work area and play practical jokes on you, do not do it to me. Your motives may be playful but the results could be devastating to you and the officer. I have had people do this before. For the life of me I do not know why and the resulting opinion is that the officer is a jerk for not getting the joke.

5. Take it easy...

No sudden movements to see if he is paying attention. No furtive movements to joke around.This may not be a potential lethal force encounter to you. It is to us, all of the time.

6. When do you tell him?

The time to inform the officer is upon his greeting. Do not say "I have a gun". Never utter this phrase. Never utter any variation of this phrase. There is no good that can come from that phrase when said to an officer. All we hear is "have a gun" and the rest is implied. The highway can be a noisy place and we may not hear everything you said.

7. How do you tell him?

Greet him and tell him you have a concealed weapons permit and the weapon is on your person/in the car.

8. Hand your permit...

Hand him your permit with your operator's license and any required paperwork like your registration and proof of insurance. The officer will likely ask where the weapon is. Tell him. There is no reason not to as long as you are abiding by local and state laws. Do not reach for the weapon unless asked to do so. Most officers, me included will not tell you to do this.

9. Then what?

The officer will most likely tell you very specifically to stay put or give further instructions based on training, experience, and departmental guidelines or operating procedures. Bear in mind that some agencies may have procedures and some may not. If you feel that action was taken that was unnecessary or infringed on your rights, check into the existence of a guideline or policy in the department involved.

If you are polite and proper, you may just even get out of a citation. You may not agree with the citation. This is not the time for that discussion. There are hearings for that. Even if you get a citation, thank the officer and be on your way. Take him to court to air your grievances.

Remember that you are a representative of all the concealed weapons permit holders out there, just as we are all the same cops. You have a responsibility to your fellow armed citizens to act in a manner that reflects well on your peers.

A bad incident involving a permit holder will resound with all the power that the media can muster. Your good behavior will not make headlines on a regular basis what so ever, but you may save the day once in your life.

In that respect, we are a lot alike.

J. Peters is a Law Enforcement Officer with over 10 years experience as certified officer, and was in the USMC Reserves from 1989-1998.
    Last edited by jlovbasz3; 10-07-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gD5vDm_Cx0[/URL]

Trail Leader
    Good Post!
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

Less posting, more wheeling!
    makes sense.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

man that makes the cops sound jumpy, and under-trained. good info though. but from my experiences as a permit holder and a avid supporter of self-deffense that article is not usually the case. ive have been drawn on by police officers a few times just for walkin in a store. my weapon isint visible except for the buldge and i never show it off or play with it. i got pulled over once for somethin stupied, told the cop i was armed and he drew on me started screamin and yanked me outs my jeep. i was cool as hel* about it but fallin to the ground hurts. now in each instance it was resolved quickly, but it seems heres a real lack of training on the departments end. plus as the article said about them not knowing how to unload and secure various weapons is true. my revolver they had no idea how to open it and my semi they couldnt get it to lock back. i always offer to show them but they dont take to kindly to that. im guessing the average cop has only ever shot a glock.

just my input, hopefully i dont et jumped on....lol

Good post. The last thing you or the officer needs is for them to see a weapon while your bent down digging in your glove box etc. It's common sense to inform them ahead of time, so they don't get supprised and suprise you.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    man that makes the cops sound jumpy, and under-trained. good info though. but from my experiences as a permit holder and a avid supporter of self-deffense that article is not usually the case. ive have been drawn on by police officers a few times just for walkin in a store. my weapon isint visible except for the buldge and i never show it off or play with it. i got pulled over once for somethin stupied, told the cop i was armed and he drew on me started screamin and yanked me outs my jeep. i was cool as hel* about it but fallin to the ground hurts. now in each instance it was resolved quickly, but it seems heres a real lack of training on the departments end. plus as the article said about them not knowing how to unload and secure various weapons is true. my revolver they had no idea how to open it and my semi they couldnt get it to lock back. i always offer to show them but they dont take to kindly to that. im guessing the average cop has only ever shot a glock.

just my input, hopefully i dont et jumped on....lol
    You're probably going to get jumped on. I'm not trying to be a dick - but if you carry yourself and "act" in person as you came across in those statements, between the spelling errors and overall feel of it, they're probably taking a lot of things into account when they consider you a threat.
    Last edited by OverkillZJ; 10-04-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Ummm no. Here in Pa. I am not required to tell an officer that I am carrying. So why should I? Now if he is pulling me out of the car and asks if I have any weapons, then I will tell him. To offer that info first is not necessary.

A lot of department have been taking liberties with our rights lately. I read about people having their pistols run to see if they are stolen all the time. Most of these incidents are people who are OC. I personally don't need a 5 min. stop turning into a 30 min. one.

Matt if you are gonna give people shit about their spelling you should learn how to spell "carry".
    Last edited by EddyB; 10-04-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    A bad day of wheelin' is still better than a good day at work

You have a jeep, that's so cute so does barbie.

'89 Toyota P/U 3.0 5 speed
    custom bumpers, sliders
    33x13.50 Super Swamper LTB

'03 Dodge Dakota 32" BFG AT DD

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyB View Post
    Ummm no. Here in Pa. I am not required to tell an officer that I am carrying. So why should I? Now if he is pulling me out of the car and asks if I have any weapons, then I will tell him. To offer that info first is not necessary.

A lot of department have been taking liberties with our rights lately. I read about people having their pistols run to see if they are stolen all the time. Most of these incidents are people who are OC. I personally don't need a 5 min. stop turning into a 30 min. one.

Matt if you are gonna give people shit about their spelling you should learn how to spell "carry".
    Fawker. Fixed

Wat. Me know spell bab. I mean bad.
    I knew I was gonna get jumped on but it's ok. I don't know how many people have experienced what I have but when it happens you don't forget it. I guess I look like a criminal. I also know you don't have to tell them nothin unless they ask if you're armed but if you don't or they're Havin a bad day you're gonna get hassled. I actually did file a complaint against the officer that dragged me out of my vehicle, all they did was make him apologize. But I had no hard feelings, better than getting shot by someone jumpy.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Haha, who posted link to this thread, and where did you post it? there are 23 guests on here right now and 15 of them are looking at this thread.LOL
    Last edited by tjblair; 10-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlovbasz3 View Post

My question is why not tell the officer? What do you have to lose by telling me that you have your weapon on you?
    Because the police abuse the law, their authority, and the people of their jurisdictions day in and day out. How am I to know that you're not going to yank me out of the vehicle, disarm me, cuff me, throw me in the back of the cruiser, or even decide to hurt me, simply for exercising my rights?

You can try to say "That never happens" but the truth is it does.

And it HAS happened to me in the past that simply carrying has caused me to be abused and harassed by a State Trooper. I'd go so far as to say assaulted, but his superiors all decided otherwise.

^ and there is one of those guests. try introducing your self first buddy .

Edit: just saw the join date, but an intro would be nice.
    Last edited by tjblair; 10-04-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Web Wheeler!
    Sorry, I guess I forgot I hadn't posted in the three years I've been registered here. I'm a member at a LOT of forums, occasionally I register at one and forget about it.

A word of free advice: When a cop makes contact with you he is not your buddy or "on your side". He pulled you over to cite you and possibly fish for something to arrest you for. Giving any unneccesary information is foolish. If you inform him that you are carrying he may consider you a threat and use that information as probable cause to search your vehicle which can be an inconvenience or worse.

Just keep it to yourself in any state that does not require you to tell the cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    Sorry, I guess I forgot I hadn't posted in the three years I've been registered here. I'm a member at a LOT of forums, occasionally I register at one and forget about it.
    No big deal, just post up
    http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/sho...members+thread

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    If you inform him that you are carrying he may consider you a threat and use that information as probable cause to search your vehicle which can be an inconvenience or worse.
    How is that even possible if you are legally carrying? Wait... I know, I know... Not all officers know the law they enforce. The truth is that officers serve the state not the people. Two very important phrases to remember when dealing with officers are "Am I being detained?" and "I do not consent to your illegal search and seizure". Also, always carry a voice recorder and turn it on when dealing with any officer. It just might prove your innocence.

Web Wheeler!
    Most modern digital voice recorders have battery lives measured in days, and are rechargeable. Always record.
    2000 XJ SE - 3" Rusty's Lift, Full-Length Roof Rack, Manik Brushguard

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
    Not all officers know the law they enforce. Two very important phrases to remember when dealing with officers are "Am I being detained?" and "I do not consent to your illegal search and seizure".
    Agreed 100%. As a student in this field, I honestly would prefer the individual to alert me to a weapon in the car, show me the permit for a handgun and just let me know if you have a long gun. Otherwise I don't give a ****, if your jumpy or don't let me know you have a weapon and it falls out or appears damn right i'm gonna get a lil irritated. If you are law abiding and have nothing to hide then why hide it? I agree with Dave and Ed on personal rights and liberties but I hope you guys can understand where I'm coming from.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I understand it. I dont agree with it. If I were a officer I would assume that every vehicle I approached had a weapon in it.
    I will gladly tell them about my open carry hand gun placed in plain view if they do not notice it. Only when they ask if I have any weapons though.

Maybe the cops that want to play those games can move to Philadelphia. I mean the mayor did just state that officer safety is more important then violating civil rights in a recent case.

Common sense goes a very long way in situations like this. That is all. Sure shit happens but I for one don't walk around with a hard on all the time.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Don't even talk about Filthadelphia or the mayor of said city, not all people that are in LE or that field agree with what some of these asshole yayhoo types are doing in certain areas
    94 YJ MTO

I was once pulled over for speeding by a state trooper. I had my hand gun in the center console of my truck along with my reg and ins. card. I the reg and ins card out before he got to the car. After getting my ticket for speeding the trooper told me it would be in my best interest to go to court and get it reduced. Then he asked me if I had a weapon in the truck. I told him yes and he didnt say anything else. Now I do have a concealed weapons permit and I dont know if he knew it or not but I didnt tell him before hand but I didnt lie to him when he asked either.

I have always wondered if the cop that pulls you over can tell when he runs your info if you have a concealed weapons permit or not.

That i'm honestly not sure of, a great question and i'm going to ask around about that.
    94 YJ MTO

I have carried for over 21 years. In those 21 years I have been pulled over more than times than I like to admit. That being said, I have yet to have a problem with any officer over firearms. I always greet them with a smile refer to them as officer and always hand over my permit with my license. during hunting season there is always a rifle and shotgun on the rack in the back.
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

well i must be the exception, i guess being younger (27) with a go-t and long hair makes me look like a gang banger. i havent had any run in with state troopers yet but it seems like pittsburgh cops hate me. and the stupid part is i know alot of the officers in my area, my next door neighbor is one of them.

Thread Information