Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westboro Baptist Church

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

Westboro Baptist Church

Pretty sure you all know who the Westboro Baptist Church is. They protest at soldiers funerals, disrespect and desecrate the american flag and spread hate speech on various topics from homosexuality to how shitty the American government and big of a joke the United States Armed forces and soldiers are. They currently protested in the area can't remember which H.S. they picketed in front of but they were here the other day en route to Washington D.C. to protest at Arlington Cemetary and the White House.

What are you guys' thoughts on this band of individuals and there views?
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    If they protest soldiers funerals and desecrate the flag they need to to shot. If they hate America so bad get the f%*k out!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gD5vDm_Cx0[/URL]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I want to turn them into speed bumps.

They must be utterly insane. And they are the best test of the 1st Amendment in decades.

I believe everyone has the right to free speech, but not when it invades a private event such as a funeral. No one has that right. If anything had ever happened to my son while he was in Iraq and I had to deal with them, I know what I would have done.
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    No Dana you wouldnt have to. We would have your back.

With that being said, It simply isnt right what they do. But unfortunalty the 1st covers them. But the law suit for indentially inflicting mental harm that was put against them should have been let stand. Freemdom of speech in the press and about the government should never be rerstricted. But to hound someone at a moment of grief, is just looking to hurt someone. I hope that when one of them die, people ahow up and protest. I hope the military does a fly over. I hope gay men show up and march. I hope they drink beer in the back ground. Do everything they hate.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Words cant describe how much I hate this entire organization. I was at a church festival in Johnstown and got in a little confrontation with one of them a few years they are insane. The Patriot Guard was created to deal with these asshats, freedom of speech or not I hope they all die.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Web Wheeler!
    I disagree with their message and disapprove of their methods, but I will fight to the death to protect their freedom to express their views in any non-violent way they choose. The First Amendment isn't there to protect things we agree with, it's there to protect the things we don't.
    2000 XJ SE - 3" Rusty's Lift, Full-Length Roof Rack, Manik Brushguard

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerguy37 View Post
    I believe everyone has the right to free speech, but not when it invades a private event such as a funeral. No one has that right. If anything had ever happened to my son while he was in Iraq and I had to deal with them, I know what I would have done.
    They do not protest at the funeral. They protest outside of it.

Anything you would have done that was in any way violent would make you not only no better than them, but several degrees worse.
    2000 XJ SE - 3" Rusty's Lift, Full-Length Roof Rack, Manik Brushguard

They were originally protesting at the funeral, private cemetaries could force them to stay outside but they have and will protest at the funeral feet away from the families. The government also passed laws making it illegal to protest at funerals.

Laws limiting funeral protests

In response to the protests conducted by Westboro members at Indiana funerals, a bill was introduced in the Indiana General Assembly that would make it a felony to protest within 500 feet (150 m) of a funeral. The bill provides penalties of up to three years in prison and a $10,000 fine for those found to be in violation of the law. Shortly before this bill was signed members of the church had threatened to protest in Kokomo, Indiana, at a funeral service that was being held for a soldier who was killed in Iraq. On January 11, 2006 the bill unanimously (11–0) passed a committee vote,[68] and while members of the church had traveled to Kokomo to protest, they were not seen during or after the funeral service.
    South Dakota adopted similar legislation. WBC has expressed its intention to contest such laws, and if victorious collect damages while the Phelps Chartered law firm collects attorney's fees under the Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Award Act of 1976.
    On May 23, 2006 the state of Michigan banned any intentional disruption of funerals within 500 feet (150 m) of the ceremony. Violating the statute would be a felony, punishable by up to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine for the first offense and up to four years in prison and a $10,000 fine for a subsequent offense.[69]
    On May 17, 2006 the state of Illinois enacted Senate Bill 1144, the "Let Them Rest In Peace Act", to shield grieving military families from protests during funerals and memorial services of fallen soldiers. A first-time violation of the Act is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine and a Class 4 felony for a second or subsequent offense, which is punishable by one to three years in state prison and a fine of up to $25,000.[70]
    On May 29, 2006, President George W. Bush signed into law the Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act (Pub.L. 109-228), prohibiting protests within 300 feet (91 m) of the entrance of any cemetery under control of the National Cemetery Administration from 60 minutes before to 60 minutes after a funeral.[71] Penalties for violating the act are up to $100,000 in fines and up to one year imprisonment.[71] The bill garnered overwhelming bipartisan support in Congress with a 408–3 vote in the House, with 21 not voting, and a unanimous vote in the Senate.[
    Last edited by Super Scout; 10-07-2010 at 08:43 AM.
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Bunch of low life shitheads hiding under a crown of religious righteousness. They do not even come close to practicing what their religion teaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    They do not protest at the funeral. They protest outside of it.

Anything you would have done that was in any way violent would make you not only no better than them, but several degrees worse.
    If it was his sons funeral, I think I'd give him some leaveway on the first ammendment... Someone can get up in my face being a douchenozzel - maybe that's them exercising their right to free speech - but that's not going to stop me from popping him in the nose.

I really wish someone would fake their own death, have it heavily publicized by his family that he was a homosexual killed in the war. Then have these people come and protest. When the service starts up in the cemetary, make sure the casket is in plain view of the protesters. Then have the "dead" guy open up the casket and run after the protesters with a sign that says "God hates hypocrites".
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Good one Jared.

I don't give a shit about 1st ammendment rights when it comes to this situation. If it was my son's funeral those SOB's would be in a grave. Or I'd be in a jail cell for trying to put them there. There was a case recently where these hypocrites harassed a father at his son's funeral. It went to ct and these people won based on their rights. Like somebody said, they have the right to say what they say but I have a right to protect my family.

Hypothitcally speaking of course.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

I think you're all forgetting what first ammendment rights are: free speech: free from government intervention when speaking your mind. That has nothing to do with these guys needing an @$$ beating.

If the government started making policy's in regards to it, I might have a problem with it.

^^ Good point.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    No Dana you wouldnt have to. We would have your back.
    x2. No questions asked. Im there.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    The First Amendment isn't there to protect things we agree with, it's there to protect the things we don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Bunch of low life shitheads

I agree with their right to protest but can't believe anybody is such an ass as to do the things they do to exercise those rights. It goes right along with a lot of other topics of constitutional rights. Just because you have the right, it doesn't make it right.

Anything that happens to those people, they had it coming to them.

Trail Leader
    It sounds like these D-bags were'nt beat up enough as kids. Isn't there a motorcycle group that rides to funerals and what-not to help stop these fags? IIRC they're called the Freedom Riders or something to that affect. I'm not a vet or very found of our government but what these fawks do is unbeleivable. I have friends overseas and God forbid if something happened to one of them I would fight those asshats with everything i had. These men and women give their lives for US and should be honored for doing so. Thank-you to anyone on here who has served. You should all be very proud!
    -1988 Suzuki Samurai--4 Skwirls--SOA--High Steer--The New Woods Beater!!!
    -2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD--3.4L--5 speed--285's--rear e-locker
    -2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road--4.0L--6 speed--Shrockworks Bumper--Wife's Ride

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I agree with almost everything you fellas had to say. I believe they should be allowed to spread there message even though it is so fawked up its not even funny. However there is a time and a place and I think that something should be done about these folks exercising their hate speech at a funeral. That is just wrong on so many levels, disrespectful to the family, the military, the dead soldier whose funeral it is, I watched this last night on nightline I think it was they interviewed Margie Phelps who is the daughter of the church founder and one of the most obnoxious most detestable individuals I have ever seen. The things she said and even did in the interview were unbelievable. The reporter was completely taken aback at times and when they went back to the desk at the station the female reporter at the desk had the most pissed off expression i've ever seen. I can't believe that more people don't show up to counter protest these assholes. However in the interview some of the patriot guard showed up in Washington and sat across the street revvin the shit out of there bikes and the WBC individuals were just goading them on even worse, just feeding off the anti demonstration.

I think that in this instance the Government really should make it illegal for these assholes to protest at or outside funerals of our fallen heroes. It would need to be worded somehow, but fawk them, they shouldn't have a right to do it.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Regular
    Don't get me started on asshats pretending to be standing up for some religious ideology -- that's why we're in Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place!
    Yes, I WILL defend their First Amendment rights -- right after I remove my front tow hook from their asses, then they can say anything they want.

I was part of a burial detial for an Active Duty soldier attached to a SF unit. We were briefed before we left that protestors would show up for this event. None of us were happy about that as you can imagine. Thankfully they didn't show up. They probably went to the wrong funeral or something.

Just the thought of someone being that arrogant that they can stand and disrespect what the deceased and their family stand for on hallowed ground is sickening.

Violence to counter their protests will only fuel their cause. I hate to say it but we have to be better than they are no matter how much I want to put two rounds in their skulls. Easier said than done when it isn't blood I am burrying, still not easier because they are my brothers and sisters.
    Its never the program, always the programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    If I hadn't met you, I'd assume you were a 90 nerd wearing huge glasses after saying that, LMAO!

The Patriot Guard are the bikers that block the protesters
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K

1978 International Scout

1974 International Scout

1973 International Scout
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]

I was reading that I guess they were at the University at Buffalo in the past. The students surrounded them in a circle with big blank white signs so not one could see them...
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I was reading that I guess they were at the University at Buffalo in the past. The students surrounded them in a circle with big blank white signs so not one could see them...
    Granted if they local police allow interaction that close then thats the way to do it for sure. That combined with the Patriot Guard revving their motors so no one else can hear them are a pretty effective way to quell their efforts.

Thread Information