Thread: Best local rides...

Web Wheeler!

Best local rides...

So what are the best local places for easy to moderate four wheeling?

I'm working from home so places where I could sneak out for a long (3-4 hour) lunch break are best....

:smt048
    \'82 Jeep CJ7
    \'98 Jeep XJ

I'm not sure around Pittsburgh but there are few places around Greensburg to go. Some of us will probably head out in a few weeks. I'll let you know for sure when we figure out a time and place.

Web Wheeler!
    Sounds good... Do you guys do any runs that a stock XJ will be able to get through?

I'm planning on building up the CJ eventually, but the Cherokee is probably my most capable vehicle for now...
    \'82 Jeep CJ7
    \'98 Jeep XJ

Yeah you won't have any problems. We won't be doing anything real hardcore.

Trail Leader
    well im about 20 miles south of u, theres a few little places around here we can prolly take yah and get yah dirty.....hit me up on AIM or a PM or sumthin

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    I recommend Bluehole, also known as Creek Falls.

Lots of areas around Connellsville if you wanna go a little farther.

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimMichaels

Creek Falls sounds worth checking out!

Could you tell me roughly how to get there from the 'Burgh?

Thanks!

Jeff
    \'82 Jeep CJ7
    \'98 Jeep XJ

Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTso

Thanks!

Jeff
    Easiest wasy is to take 51 South to Perryopolis (Randalls restaurant on the left!) and make a left turn at the 1st red light. Follow this road past the high school, through town, and go straight through a circle intersection with a monument in the middle. The road will bear right, then left again. You will follow it through a one-way tunnel and bridge. Keep on this main road still through the small town of Layton (beware of some tight turns.) You'll head up a big hill to a stop sign, where you keep right. After some distance on this road, you will make a left turn onto a small road. I forget the name of this road, it is the second left; the 1st is Tower Road, which goes out of the way. The second turn (the one you need to make) is small and is right before a right curve.) You will follow this backroad some ways to a stop sign, where you will turn left. A few minutes on this road (you will see a big house with a massive yard on the left) and you will come to a three way intersection under a train bridge. Go left onto a oneway gravel road. This will eventually become the trail.

Its kind of complicated so good luck. Also, when you get on the gravel road honk when you go around the turns. This can be a busy route (especially in the summer) with offroaders, quad riders, mountain bikers, and rowdy teenagers and this is the only way to know if someones coming the other way. We've saved the lives of many quad riders and SUVs by honking.

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralTso

Thanks!

Jeff
    Easiest wasy is to take 51 South to Perryopolis (Randalls restaurant on the left!) and make a left turn at the 1st red light. Follow this road past the high school, through town, and go straight through a circle intersection with a monument in the middle. The road will bear right, then left again. You will follow it through a one-way tunnel and bridge. Keep on this main road still through the small town of Layton (beware of some tight turns.) You'll head up a big hill to a stop sign, where you keep right. After some distance on this road, you will make a left turn onto a small road. I forget the name of this road, it is the second left; the 1st is Tower Road, which goes out of the way. The second turn (the one you need to make) is small and is right before a right curve.) You will follow this backroad some ways to a stop sign, where you will turn left. A few minutes on this road (you will see a big house with a massive yard on the left) and you will come to a three way intersection under a train bridge. Go left onto a oneway gravel road. This will eventually become the trail.

Its kind of complicated so good luck. Also, when you get on the gravel road honk when you go around the turns. This can be a busy route (especially in the summer) with offroaders, quad riders, mountain bikers, and rowdy teenagers and this is the only way to know if someones coming the other way. We've saved the lives of many quad riders and SUVs by honking.
    Thanks for the directions! Maybe I'll take the CJ down there this week if I can get the idle under control.....

Thanks again!
    Jeff
    \'82 Jeep CJ7
    \'98 Jeep XJ

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerguy37
    Sent you a PM.
    The forum keeps giving me "Connection Timeout" error when I try to reply to your PM...

Thanks for the link... I was hoping for video of that TJ up to the hood in mud from the photo section....
    \'82 Jeep CJ7
    \'98 Jeep XJ

Trail Leader
    typing out directions to a wheeling spot in a public forum is a very bad idea... that is how idiots ruin it for responsibile wheelers...

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King
    typing out directions to a wheeling spot in a public forum is a very bad idea... that is how idiots ruin it for responsibile wheelers...
    Typing out directions to wheeling spots in a public forum is also how people stick to and promote the hobby...

It's not exactly JU after all.

I apologize. I'll keep it to PM from now on.

You're completely right. It only takes one or two people browsing on the net to come across it and........................They tear it up and land closure!!

And they're almost never members!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Years of hard work will pay off in the long run, whereas laziness pays off now! [SIZE=1](not to be taken too seriously)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]'03 TJ X rollin on some 35's
    '83 CJ on 33's
    '06 TJ rubi on 35's and long-armed[/FONT]

Trail Leader
    I wasnt trying ta stir anything up... it only takes a few to ruin it for the responsible ones we all know that, especially at a place that has had so many issues in the past...

Web Wheeler!
    I agree with king delete that post with direction so we can still break our heeps down in the falls.....It has enough of redneck wheelers down there now anyway..... alot of garbage and junk laying around.....
    Loved by few Hated by many...
    tj coil overs dana 60 front and rear
    If you have the money I have the skills and the time....

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! stesul411's Avatar

I was under the impression that creek falls was blocked by the gun club, used to go wheelin there all the time but that was 25 years ago. We should set up a trail ride sometime.

Trail Leader
    parts of the area that are owned by the gun club are off limits .. do not go on or park on their property.. dont be that guy who ruins it for responsible wheelers... its people who go in there and dont know the land boundaries or game land boundaries that are going to get it shut down to all of us.

Thread Information