Thread: stumped on a rough idle

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar

stumped on a rough idle

ok fellas, the wifes jeep started idling rough yesterday, it threw a code for about 10 minutes then it went out. last time it had any codes it was the catalytic converter (fixed it) and fuel pump. well, after i fixed the cat the engine light went out, so i kinda assumed that it needed a fuel pump, so i put the fuel pump in, it didnt make any difference.

i hate these kinds of threads, cuz usually i'm the first one to say IAC, TPS, CPS, or spark plugs...lol...but now i want your opinion

i cleaned the TB, and i have a new IAC that i didnt put in yet, and a new CPS that i didnt put in yet, just wondering where you guys would start if you were me? i couldnt find the right size torx bit to get the sensors off the TB to clean them, so thats why i didnt try that yet.

also, a lot of guys say to seafoam it first and a lot of the time that will fix it. i've used seafoam in my tj with no ill effects.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    did you get the iac out yet. i have to clean mine every other month or it messes my idle up. luckely its part of my bi-monthly service anyway. (clean plugs, adjust brakes, clean throttle body, lightly seafoam engine). id say pull iac, clean the passages really good. if it doesent work then run down the normal sensors, tps,cpsd, dist pu, maybe clean the fuel system(whole can of seafoam in half tank gas). just the normal rundown

no i gotta get a torx set since since mine seem to have disappeared. i kinda think its the IAC and stuff though, since i took the TB off and it was black inside. 140k miles, owned by some kid that didnt even know how to put air in his tires, so its probably got the original spark plugs too..lol
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    owned by some kid that didnt even know how to put air in his tires, so its probably got the original spark plugs too..lol
    WAIT!....... you bought a jeep off of gibson!?!?
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

oh geez

lol if i did it wouldnt have a frame

wife called, said the CEL is on, so she is gonna have it checked. i'll know more tonight. however, im having the same problem only worse with my white xj. i took the TB off that and it was ridiculous! im gonna try to sea foam it that should help a good bit, but i dunno what else

make sure you get the iac and tps off. the amount of gunk that builds up is ridiculous. i routed my front ccv hose to its own filter. so the intake aint suckin them oil fumes up. that helped cut down on the crud but didnt stop it. and you do know not to push the iac plunger when you have it off right???? lol

i bet o2 sensor.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    lol if i did it wouldnt have a frame
    well, it kinda doesnt.

lol true

well, i got the wifes xj fixed up, changed the plugs and that did the trick...i guess i should have done that first, but owning 3 jeeps and working on all 3, i got mixed up and thought i changed the plugs in it when i bought it a few months ago, turns out it was my tj and the white xj that i did that to...

BTW, i took the cap and rotor off the white xj, and it looked like shit, the contacts seem like they are all burnt and stuff, so i got a new cap and rotor, we'll see where that gets me. New cap, rotor, wires and plugs in the white xj oughta help, if it doesn't it might just be a hair out of time

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    You should print this page and stick it in the glovebox of your XJ so you remember what you did for next time.

I took to writing stuff down on the inside cover of the Haynes manual of the ZJ in a weak attempt at some type of maintenace schedule/record.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

good idea! im usually pretty good at remembering what i did when it was my jeep and her car, now i have 3 jeeps with the same engine, so its tough to remember...LOL

so i replaced the cap n rotor, and it seems to run worse now. the battery was dead, so i charged it, now it seems like it doesnt even want to try to idle. before, it idled but it idled rough. WTF?

do you mean it runs for a second then shuts off? im trying to chase the same problem down right now, it seems like if you keep the rpms at 1500 for a minute itll fix itself. mine does it at random times, and sometimes it dosent
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

"If i diddnt have bad luck, i wouldnt have any luck at all"

yeah i have to hold the pedal down to get it to start, then it'll run until i take my foot off the pedal (this is the white 96 BTW, the 98 is fixed) i also cleaned the TB and stuff, it was in bad shape so maybe it ruined the map sensor or something

just hold the pedal down for a minute and let it off slowly, if it stalls repeat. i think it might have something to do with the downstream O2 sensor because when i removed mine is when it started, are your sensors new?
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

it seems that the MAP could be the problem.

no my O2 sensors are not new, i have no idea what is new on this jeep since i bought it off a tard. just trial and error pretty much.

do you live anywhere by skeebs? im going out his wa this week and i could stop by with those shocks and i have my O2 sensor if you wanted to try that just for shits and giggles
    96 xj rust
    some old chevy rust
    some motorsickles

and a dirtymax

hey brandon, did you fully charge the battery or did you jump it off of the charger? i had a shorted out battery in my 97 xj cause the same issue, could also be the alternator if it is not charging enough...
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

i had to jump the battery last night, to give it enough juice cuz my charger wouldnt charge it since it was so dead, then i let it charge all night, checked it with a multimeter this morning and it was 12.74V

the battery died cuz i was working on my floors and i guess i left the interior light on for like 36 hours...lol

Noob!
    Did you clean the throttle body and the iac if they are carboned up and the battery goes dead the computer will reset min idle and then it wont want to start unless you open the throttle some and will take awhile to relearn the idle

yeah i did, im gonna see if i can find the TPS IAC and MAP sensors at a Junkyard cheap, and put all new ones in, since its a new to me vehicle and i dont really know the history, i figure it cant hurt

i know it will take a while to re learn the idle, but it stinks up my garage too...lol

i replaced the TPS in mine when it was having that trouble and it fixed it. so i vote TPS for this newest issue haha.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Thread Information