Thread: Hunting in Alleghney county

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Hunting in Alleghney county

What are the rules about guns? Are you allowed to hunt with a rifle in the county?

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Slug gun only IIRC.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Shotgun only in Allegheny Co.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Shotgun only in Allegheny Co.
    Ok, I looked out the window this morning and saw some guy dressed in blaze orange in the woods. I walked out and asked him to find another spot, further away from my house. I expected to see a bow but he had a shotgun.

may also use muzzleloaders-inlines are permitted and can be scoped

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailerrails View Post
    I walked out and asked him to find another spot, further away from my house.
    How polite of you. How close was he? I get PISSED about people encroaching on land they shouldn't be hunting.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    He was not on my property (PPG owns the property) but was only about 60-70 yards away. Probably only 30 yards from where my dog was running around.

I figured it was in my best interest to be polite, he had a gun and I did not.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    your property or not, that is illegal. But still nice to be polite. It never hurts to try the nice way first.

Are you near Hartwood acres?
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    No, Penn hills.

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    the saftey zone for gun hunting is 150 yards, unless you have permission from the property owner to be closer to buildings/houses.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    ^ yes....and the "safety zone" gets tested and ignored quite a bit in Allegheny county. You were well within your right to ask him to distance himself from your residence. I've had to do the same thing (and double pissed because I caught a guy in my bow stand!)

It is 50 yards for bow.

Just to be safe, I tie a blaze orange handkerchief around my dog's neck this time of year. She's a German Shep mix and has tan/ginger/white colored fur and is about 90lbs. She's good and I don't let her roam the yard without me watching, but every once in a while she'll chase a yearling or fawn into the woods behind the house where a lot of people have permission to hunt. She doesn't look much like a deer but some people see something furry and moving and just let loose.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I have to tell people to get lost pretty often up at the farm, it sits in a dip so people really have no clue how close they are to a house. I have nothing against hunters but it seems to me if your going to be walking around the woods with a gun in hand you should probably be a little more aware of your surroundings.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    ^ yes....and the "safety zone" gets tested and ignored quite a bit in Allegheny county. You were well within your right to ask him to distance himself from your residence. I've had to do the same thing (and double pissed because I caught a guy in my bow stand!)

It is 50 yards for bow.

Just to be safe, I tie a blaze orange handkerchief around my dog's neck this time of year. She's a German Shep mix and has tan/ginger/white colored fur and is about 90lbs. She's good and I don't let her roam the yard without me watching, but every once in a while she'll chase a yearling or fawn into the woods behind the house where a lot of people have permission to hunt. She doesn't look much like a deer but some people see something furry and moving and just let loose.
    I have a skinny 120 German Shepard who runs free within his inviable fence for most of the daylight hours of the day. With his size he could be mistaken for a small deer. I like the orange handkerchief idea. He used to chase deer and turkey all the time into the woods but now stops running right at his fence line. The guy was standing pretty close to the fence line, I believe I heard my dog barking at him at one point, that is what alerted me and made me look out there.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    I hate to say it but you might want to kinda rein him in for the next week or two until the big push of hunting season is over. It stinks you have to change your way of doing things, but rather safe than sorry. Keep a close eye on him anyway and do some kind of orange on his collar, or any bright color (lime green maybe).

I've heard of hunters shooting dogs who were chasing deer they were trying to hunt. Makes me sick but I've heard of it. There are a lot of ethical, skilled hunters in PA, probably the majority even. Unfortunately there are also a lot of morons who have a gun and by golly just want to shoot something...anything.

I don't wanna alarm you but I've spent years in the woods and seen plenty of stupid sh*t. If somebody capped my dog either on accident or intentionally....man.... he better hope he has some rounds left for me cuz he'll need em.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    but some people see something furry and moving and just let loose.
    If it's brown, it's down!
    Something catchy goes here.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailerrails View Post
    I have a skinny 120 German Shepard who runs free within his inviable fence for most of the daylight hours of the day. With his size he could be mistaken for a small deer. I like the orange handkerchief idea. He used to chase deer and turkey all the time into the woods but now stops running right at his fence line. The guy was standing pretty close to the fence line, I believe I heard my dog barking at him at one point, that is what alerted me and made me look out there.
    Paint the dog orange for awhile.

Thread Information