Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project: PapaBear
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: PapaBear

Trail Leader

Project: PapaBear

1999 2.5/auto

121,000 miles
    bone stock
    interior is awesome, AC, soundbar, center console
    new sailcloth sunrider top in 2006, never been off
    good tires
    effectively ZERO rust!

$1500

this thing is CLEAN!! ... still haven't looked into the mechanical. seller told me the AC runs cold, heater and everything else work that i've found. the tape deck is real lame, but i have another stereo.

the black looks like scuffs and should buff off ... all the white is salt from the drive.

THE rust spot from a crinkle puttin the hood on the windshield

the pass rocker was hit low and pounded out ... then crappy paint was faded up. and then faded and chipped

new center console, new in 06 softtop, decent carpet.

the carpet scuffed the paint off down to primmer ... not even any steel.

windows and some baja rs seats i might use in it if i keep it. free bikini header channel

new batt, and just really clean ... needs a wash though.

[URL="http://stuweb.ee.mtu.edu/~marmille/jeep/5-mile.JPG"]YJ: d44/12b(4.56, truetrack/detroit), 2"BDS springs/SOA, d300, 4.6 stroker, cage[/URL]

Its pronounced "6-D.o.F." - "6 Degree's of Freedom"

Trail Leader
    ok, so after rounding 2 cam's and blowing a rod thru the block, i got the 3rd 4cyl up and running and she's been doing pretty good. but still only a 4-popper. had one of the tires BLOW out on my way to work a few weeks ago as well, the belts were broken and i was headed to get a new tire that day after work ... still lame.

anyways, lots of new developments.

motor: 2005 6.0 LQ4, 75000 miles, compete changeover package being shipped in. was on loan to Ian at Extreme4X4 as a display for a show on changeover motors. $1800 after shipping and for the wait a free cable throttle body

Kilby mid width front bumper from scratch-n-dent (installed)
    old used warn rockcrawler rear bumper/swingout (installed)

early bronco 9" w/ spare shafts and 8.8 disk brakes (some assembly required)
    4.56 used gears (in the mail)

Kenwood 6-3/4" component speakers in the soundbar
    Kenwood 5-1/4" component speakers in the dash
    Kenwood 4 channel and 1 channel amps
    Kenwood 10" slimline subs (2 in the mail by accident)
    jvc reciever from my burb

Bestop Sunrider
    tinted window kit
    besttop soft doors

the sound bar is awesome. had to trim some to make the 6-3/4" speaker fit in the 5-1/4" hole. i re-used one screw hole and opened it up from there. then a nice 1-3/4" hole saw for the tweaters while leaving the foam in place. sounds way better, way more sound, can't wait to have front speakers too.

also found this pretty interesting, the windows all zip in and even pop seal in the bottom with the tonneau still in place. i only ever have the windows in place for actual rain, so it's easier this way.

first thing this weekend i set out to make myself a new desk chair for work, turned out awesome i think. i could have put a little more finish work into the bracket, but i wanted to get back to workin on the TJ.

next was actually having front speakers in the TJ, the factory crap just didn't work any more. this is how i got a round speaker in a rectangular hole ... turned out great, but after a test fit it needed a little more trim work. the speaker is centered on the inner of the mounting holes and centered between them. basically need to cut off all other plate around those holes. i didn't look far enough back behind the dash to see where it would hit, and made something that looked similar to the deal i found online and figured she'd be good, NOPE! oh well, they are all set now.

[URL="http://stuweb.ee.mtu.edu/~marmille/jeep/5-mile.JPG"]YJ: d44/12b(4.56, truetrack/detroit), 2"BDS springs/SOA, d300, 4.6 stroker, cage[/URL]

Trail Leader
    for reference ... this is what i'm going for. 2" springs, high line fenders, 37s. i'm not a huge fan of the lines they created so i'll work on what i do like. plus i really would like to push the front axle fwd some, but that might have to wait for a while till i find the $$ and need for a new front axle. the rear will be pushed back, about 2" i think.

Trail Leader
    i love pics like these

Came with literally everything needed to run but 12v and fluids, I love it. He even threw in a cable throttle body for the delays. Its damn tall too, so I'm looking at options for the alternator and shorter intake/oil pan. In the third pic you can the bulk of my bender stand, should have it operational this week!

got some new parts rolling in again, Stevie sent me his last gear set for the 9". 4.56s

got 69' of potential on the truck, think i got a good price too. 1.5"x.120 DOM $3.50 /ft and no tax, plus i dug thru a scrap bin and he let me take this box of drops. with the new stand for the bender all set it's time to fab!

then i started to tear down the TJ for some progress, we'll see what all gets done sunday night.

Last edited by 6DoF; 11-30-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Trail Leader
    4.75" higher battery tray, and much more clearance under. plus no longer mounted to the fender. i cut up the factory tray holder, added some tube i used for test bends, and welded the tray back on top. great functionality, not the prettiest thing ever, but won't be seen anyways. yes i had to move the stock ECM, it's currently zip-tied to the grill support bar. the GM ECM will go somewhere else.

the cops were out in force today for some reason ... so it prompted me starting this. i need a 3rd brake light, and to relocate my license plate, so it's all going in the spare tire.

Ok, real update. Finished the plate mount, I like it but think I might run the wires outside the center next time, they are really smushed in there. Mini light for reverse lights and are run buy the Jeep, no manual switch yet. LED bars are red and function as stop and turn.

Also got the 2" Rusty's springs in. Minor vibration from stop to 30 in the rear, but smooth after till about 70. 9" and stretch should fix. Stock shocks till I build the 4-link, makes for 1-1/8" front and 3/4" rear droop.

Last edited by 6DoF; 11-30-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Trail Leader
    this week i'll be building tube fenders on the YJ as more practice with the bender before i start the fenders on the TJ. so hopefully there will be some "real" updates coming soon.

picked up some more parts:
    Soft 8 wheels, 17x9 5x5.5 5"BS
    Advanced Adapters vn4500 new in box
    '77 HP d44 with the welded on wedges
    '79 9"
    roller rockers/injectors/flywheel and clutch from Sean

my intention is to now flip a d300 that i've had for a while. to get it up and running this spring i'll be keeping the D30 in there for now. then soon after this summer pop the d44 in there with a new link setup.

Trail Leader
    and my sister bought me something for fixing her old car ... finding and acquiring her 05 hemi limited grand ... fixing the grand ... and selling the old car.

Spider-9, i'm having an alignment jig made to weld on new moser bearing cups. will use the stock shafts and 3rd from the '79 9"

on that same note, i'll be able to build or shorten just about any axle with the jig, let me know cuz i'll be STONE broke when this build is finished ...

Last edited by 6DoF; 11-30-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    ^NIce

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    What the hell!?! you gota spyder 9 for finder her the grand?! I FOUND YOU THE GRAND..... AND THE TJ for that matter lol

what the hell do i get?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!
    looks like a good project!

flip the d300 yourself

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=dana+flip

i did it this way, i am gonna change a couple things, but it works really good and is cheaper than the NWF kit (for us broke guys)
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    ^NIce
    Understatement.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    What the hell!?! you gota spyder 9 for finder her the grand?! I FOUND YOU THE GRAND..... AND THE TJ for that matter lol

what the hell do i get?
    you ran across the ad, i called, looked at, negotiated ... so you get NOTHING!!

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    looks like a good project!

flip the d300 yourself

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=dana+flip

i did it this way, i am gonna change a couple things, but it works really good and is cheaper than the NWF kit (for us broke guys)
    i intend to run cable shift, so i'm not doing anything that elaborate. all i'm going to do is put new o-rings on the shifter fork rails when i rebuild it, plug the breather, and drill a new one on the other side. i just need to determine if i can re-drill the holes in the back plate, or need a clocking ring.

Trail Leader
    so the point to this build is not an all out crawler, and not even really an off road machine. it will see off road, but the point is a daily drive / street rod kind of jeep. something with a low CG and will get to the ski slopes no matter what the weather!

Trail Leader
    i'll let the pics speak for themselves, i'm loooovin it!

17x9 soft 8 wheels with 5" back spacing
    D30 with spidertrax spacers: 63"

hp d44 and 9" i have are 65.5" and 65" respectively. i'm still deciding what width i really want everything, but now i have my baseline.

ok, so the lugs bite pretty hard into the control arm near full lock once the power steering is going. i'm loving the width it is right there, but that extra 1.25" per side with the d44 will probably be a good thing.

boss asked for some OT (at least i get paid as such for it), so i'm going to put in 2 long days Mon and Tues. that way i can have it done and get out early the rest of the week. my intention is to try and get a lot done on the fenders ... but my g/f will be in town this weekend too, so that will most likely prove non-jeep productive.

Trail Leader
    first up, some more parts from sean that finally got unpacked and went under my bed...

measured it all up, if i do a 6" flare half the outer tread block will be outside the flare when the d44 goes in. i put the broken porta-band blade on the line. will look good to me ... not to the cops. guess we'll see cuz they did't care about the JK with about the same. i guess also legally i could do up to a 7" flare.

got all the mounting plates made for both sides, and the one upper tube on before i called it a night. fire wall plates are 1.5" angle, while the grill mounts are 1/8" plate. i used some blocks an a piece of tube with my press to form the shape around the grill. i'll keep pluggin away this week, should be fun to drive with the high flatties and 28" tires.

then some fender lay-outs. the base is different between them, as well as the break is in a different location, lets hear those opinions!

A better view of one base. the other mitors into the virtical edge rather the horizontal.

One more option.

i like the 3rd option with 2 bends

Awesome! I can't wait to see the 6.0L in there. I would love to put one in all 3 of my Jeeps
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    i like the 3rd option with 2 bends
    Me too.

Trail Leader
    most ppl like the 2-bend option, and i did as well. it's a little different and the symmetry works. BUT .. once you put the flare on you loose it and just doesn't work well.

here's the finished product, hopefully going into steel tomorrow night after work. you can also see i rounded the bottom of the tube into the rear plate vs a miter, looks WAY better, but is a little more work. did the same thing on my YJ fenders 2 weeks ago so i know what to expect.

final for the TJ

My YJ that i did a few weeks ago: http://jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63306

Last edited by 6DoF; 12-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Trail Leader
    well i think they cam out pretty sweet ... too wide for my ultimate taste, but such is the state we live in. should be done and in paint by x-mas.

Trail Leader

Quote Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

Trail Leader
    I was thinking more little kid with a cape ... stupid dot nazi

I have ideas to help the look

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    Looks good. That thing is going to be a beast when the build over, isn't it? I really like the flat fender design.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

remember when you put the cable shift in the d300 on the stock location, with it flipped, the cables will be under the driveshaft. if the driveshaft drops much it will tear the cables out.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Thread Information