Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project: PapaBear - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: PapaBear

Trail Leader
    it will for sure be a beast! and i can't wait!

i'm really thinking that i'll run the cables over the top of the d300, and in from the back under it. will keep things really clear away from the shaft. here's a pic of teh NorthWest FabWorks kit. i'm back-n-forth as to buy this kit or just build my own.

http://www.northwestfab.com/Shifters.html

[URL="http://stuweb.ee.mtu.edu/~marmille/jeep/5-mile.JPG"]YJ: d44/12b(4.56, truetrack/detroit), 2"BDS springs/SOA, d300, 4.6 stroker, cage[/URL]

Its pronounced "6-D.o.F." - "6 Degree's of Freedom"

Trail Leader
    well cross your fingers that something starts to get moving for me here soon. lots going on, but little pictures worthy. i'm still pushing for this thing to be driving in the spring, but i don't know if the $$ will be there to back up that time line.

things doing:
    -i am trying to trade my cherry TJ fenders for a pair that is beat so i can cut the inner wheel well's off.
    -ordered and waiting on 8 johny joints
    -ordered and waiting on 14 poly bushings
    -ordered and waiting on 2 sticks of 1.5x.120" DOM, 1 stick of 1.75x.250" DOM, 10' 3x3x3/16 box tube
    -waiting on a quote for my fender skinz to be cnc plasma cut and bent all proper like, or the creation of a die to use in my arbor press.
    -close to a finalized set of measurements for the rear 4-link

things i need to do soon:
    -tear down 9" and take all measurements to have my axle alignment jig made
    -set up 9" 3rd with used ARB and used 4.56 gears
    -3D model rear 4-link and all mounts before i make them
    -finish gathering part numbers and start buying brake parts for rear discs
    -call HOWELL EFI and start the process of getting my ECM flashed

things shortly after:
    -chop rear fender wells to fit 37 for where ever the rear axle ends up
    -make rear flares
    -pimp around for a week with a 4cyl/auto turning a spider-9" and 37s

then the real fun begins
    Last edited by 6DoF; 01-07-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    [URL="http://stuweb.ee.mtu.edu/~marmille/jeep/5-mile.JPG"]YJ: d44/12b(4.56, truetrack/detroit), 2"BDS springs/SOA, d300, 4.6 stroker, cage[/URL]

Trail Leader
    damn i hate waiting for parts ... should have a deal to trade the fenders out next week lined up so i can finally get back to work on those. my steel guy is leaving me hanging not making my order and he's CNC cutting some parts so i hope those are done soon too. also waitin on a little $$ to buy more axle parts.

however i have started the link design work. numbers are run and should be really close, so i've started modeling the links. a few tweaks here and there, and hopefully i can have all the parts CNC cut and fit em quick.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Who did you order your Johnny Joints from? I was wondering because i'm looking to get some to finish my adjustable short arms, trying to figure out who has the best prices on them.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post

i'm really thinking that i'll run the cables over the top of the d300, and in from the back under it. will keep things really clear away from the shaft. here's a pic of teh NorthWest FabWorks kit. i'm back-n-forth as to buy this kit or just build my own.

I have this dana 300 shifter and would sell it but I am not impressed with it I broke 2 cables and it in my opinion really didnt meet my expectations for what it cost

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    -call HOWELL EFI and start the process of getting my ECM flashed
    What do you need done with the ECM? What computer does your current harness have attached with it? I can do the flash with HP tuners and probably get you running if you have the harness sorted out.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    who did you order your johnny joints from? I was wondering because i'm looking to get some to finish my adjustable short arms, trying to figure out who has the best prices on them.
    LIQUID IRON INDUSTRIES
    www.liquidironindustries.com

I am making all orders thru Tim @ LII. lots of parts from Advance Adapters, some from JB Conversion, a little Gen-Right, ext. he's a great guy out of Jersey that i've wheeled with many times. he just started his own shop and is already loaded with full KOH builds. best customer service you'll find, and lots of trick parts that no one else has. tell him i sent ya, and send more ppl his way cuz he deserves the business!

Quote Originally Posted by red6rubicon View Post
    i have this dana 300 shifter and would sell it but i am not impressed with it i broke 2 cables and it in my opinion really didnt meet my expectations for what it cost
    ouch, thanx for the heads up. i was thinking of building my own setup too, so i'll make sure to make it nice and stout. just out of curiosity thought, how much for ya to sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by krod View Post
    what do you need done with the ecm? What computer does your current harness have attached with it? I can do the flash with hp tuners and probably get you running if you have the harness sorted out.
    have the ENTIRE under-hood harness ... that still needs sorted really badly. any chance you'd have a good diagram, i haven't looked for one yet. stock computer at the moment, i need a good tune, 2nd O2 delete, EGR delete, and the VIN changed to my Jeep's.

Awesome thanks for the tip man I appreciate it, I quickly browsed the site, I was floored that they are making slider boxes for the rear of cherokees. Those were custom items not long ago that not many guys were runnin except on the circle track circuits. I've found my new parts vendor
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Awesome thanks for the tip man I appreciate it, I quickly browsed the site, I was floored that they are making slider boxes for the rear of cherokees. Those were custom items not long ago that not many guys were runnin except on the circle track circuits. I've found my new parts vendor
    haha, he made a set of those for the blue (black now) "XJ" he was running back before he had the shop. made a few pairs for other ppl and they seam to work awesome. i was glad to see him carry them over to the product line.

if there is anything you can think of not on the site, he'll get it for ya or make it ... just gota e-mail him.

Thats very similar to how I made mine. 1/4 plate fits right into he slot in the shift rail. Just make your own I got my cables from Mccmaster Carr. IIRC they were around $50 ea. I got the 50# push\pull cables.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Thats very similar to how I made mine. 1/4 plate fits right into he slot in the shift rail. Just make your own I got my cables from Mccmaster Carr. IIRC they were around $50 ea. I got the 50# push\pull cables.
    those were the ones i was looking at, so good to know they are good stuff. how long did you get? would you change the length?

Trail Leader
    spent last night messing with the d300 and it's fit to the 4500. looks like i can just re-drill 2 holes and it will bolt right on in a flipped position that'll work pretty good. ordered a 29spline input and low profile retainer for it just now, along with a master rebuild kit. get this thing all painted up nice and we'll be all set!

also ordered some blue torch fab weld-on caliper brackets for the spider-9 ... they are currently on sale for half off!!!

those were the ones i was looking at, so good to know they are good stuff. how long did you get? would you change the length?
    I forget exactly how long they were, But they were around 30 in. My shifters are right between the seats so any more cable would have been a pain. So I gusee it depends on where you re going to put the shifters,. I have the 231 in front of the 300 so it pushes the tcase back. it sits right between the seats. I just used a string to figure out where I was going to route them, and to figure out the length. IIRC when you measure those you are only measuring the sheath not the cable inside. I believe that I used the first on on this list, And I used the quick disconect ball joint ends
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#push/pull-c...-cable/=aryjs3
    Last edited by tjblair; 01-27-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Trail Leader
    awesome info man, i was hoping those little ball joint things would be good. thanx

this will probably be a project for later on. i won't be putting the front axle in until i have the motor and rear suspension all dialed in so it'll be only 4x2 for the summer. lots of time to play with em and make em right. plus i need to find more $$, haha.

Trail Leader
    order and received the brake brackets and all the link ends, just need to pick up my steel order.

i revised the link-calc again a bunch, and have the suspension about half modeled. i'm going to have all the brackets CNC cut for me to make the install a sinch.

another big thanx to LII for all the parts!

Trail Leader
    update on the modeling ... i need to double check all the measurements vs the jeep and then start to put it all on paper. it will still change some, i know i've moved the link points some.

Trail Leader
    getting some stuff done this weekend ... waiting on some others. i need to get the junky fenders to cut the inner wheel well off for my tube fenders before i can finish skinning them, but i also need sheet to skin them. i did however get the side skinned.

got my clutch pedal assembly torn down, cleaned up n painted, and put back together. chances are i'll put it in the jeep as bolt-in motivation this week some time.

got all my dimensions together to have the axle jig made. i won't weld the end bearing cups on the spider housing til after i get all the links and truss fully welded and in place. make sure everything isn't warped. i still need to order the cups.

was going to get the third member set up with the gears n locker ... but i forgot i need a new yoke. the one i have is smoked. someone plz have a used one for me!

also been working more the CAD ... my idiot self forgot to update it for the offset punkin till after i thought i was done. well remade the uppers for the axle, i like them better then what i had, but still not the greatest ever. would be nice to have some bent plate, but i don't feel like paying the shop for that.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Your frame side brackets look a heckuva lot like the ones Poly makes. Out of curiosity, why not just buy Poly's or Clayton's rear kit? What you've designed looks just like it?
    Something catchy goes here.

Trail Leader
    they are close, but not exact. this build is meant as my main daily driver and i want the suspension numbers to be exactly where i want them. not only in the link end placement, but keep the angles right on to get the most life out of the bushings. a few inches makes a HUGE difference in the suspension manners. i can also do it cheaper and stronger, and on top of the fact that i just want to do it myself vs buying generic stuff that everyone has.

i just re-did the axle upper mounts again this morning. i was double checking my joints and adding more detail when i found i fat-fingered the width and had to make them wider.
    Last edited by 6DoF; 02-20-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Trail Leader
    i had a budget set-back to the tune of a few K going elsewhere, but i'm back to buying parts. the link ends are all in, i have virtually everything i need but the last of the brake parts and a yoke for the 9". i'm 99% with the model, so i'll do the drawings this week and get the brackets all cut ASAP. i've also talked to Tony at Gen-Right about a deal on an EXT gas tank.

new upper links mounts on the axle ... i was adding detail to the joints and realized i fat-fingered the width and needed to make them wider. every tweak makes things better though

used ARB $350:

9" tear downs. you can see the boxes of links as well.

D300 i had around, this one goes into the YJ as it's used but tight. the worn out one coming out will be fully rebuilt for the TJ.

referb'd a clutch pedal assy i got for $25 as well. i think i have a set of pads in my storage bin, but i can't get to it til after work monday.

also sheeted the side of my fenders. i didn't have enough to do the flare as well, and the dude i traded / sold my cherry fenders to is late bringing me the junky ones to cut the inner wheel well off of. i told him no fenders without the trade as well ... offered me more $$ and the trade to take the fenders first. so not a big deal, just slowing me down a little.
    Last edited by 6DoF; 02-20-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Trail Leader
    Spoke too soon, he's delivering the fenders tomorrow!! Progress shall be made!

Trail Leader
    called the right guy at GenRight, Tony just happened to have a brand new TJ EXT tank that had been a display. $650 vs the normal $900. and also got a set of the sick LED tail lights and those little blinkers for the front. total cost of everything to my door, less then the tank and shipping by itself. WOOT, those guys are awesome!!

i finally have fenders to cut up!! the guy promised me straight fenders but were rusty n cracked, but with good wheel wells ... he ended up bringing me CHERRY rust free fenders that were in an accident. everything i was going to cut off and scrap is bent, everything i wanted it perfect. hells yes! that's tomorrows project.

i also dropped off my drawings for the axle alignment jig to build the spider housing with. i told my steel guy at the machine shop what the dude on pirate was charging for one puck set, he laughed, and said he'll do the whole project for less. we'll see what the final bill comes to. picked up 3 more sticks of tube, holy fawk prices went up over 40%! also submitted all my brackets for a quote to get them all cut, hope to get that back soon.

tonight i'm working on the CAD work of the rear fender flare, finally got enough numbers to make it happen.

so what does the ext tank give you? more clearance or more fuel?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Trail Leader
    all of the above. i have 1/2" clearance between the spider-9 and the stock tank at the stock axle location. but i'm stretching it 2". the EXT lets me stretch up to 4-5" with this axle, is a 19.5gal tank over my current stock 15gal. it's 1" more ground clearance along with a slope up and chamfer at the back for WAY more departure angle. that'll be really handy with how low this jeep will sit. plus it's a real tank skid that i can land on and not care. bolts into the stock location with the stock sending unit and lines so no cutting a fuel cell into the floor or stupid stuff inside. just clean and way better.

screw it, pics from GenRight's site:

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-23-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Thread Information