Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting on the tons

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
    Send those Ballistic joints back where you got them! They ****ing suck balls. Every single one of mine got way loose after two rides AND had all the chrome flake of the center ball. Get the currie JJ instead.

And seriously, claws? There are so much better tires out there, it's not even funny. Even Icants (Iroks) are better than those.
    I haven't yet ordered the ballistic joints. I was tying to avoid using a joint that uses snap rings. I have seen allot of the ones using snap rings come apart.( not Currie's though) I'm still shopping around but I was definitely looking for a spanner style joint.

Have you seen the new Claws? They look pretty badass! They redesigned the tread pattern and thickened up the sidewall. I'm still shopping around but If they are out in time I think that the Claw is still at the top of the list. ( they are also a supporter of the offroad park that I work at ) It is going tho depend on what I can get the best deal on too . I was also looking at the PB Rockers, I just haven't heard that many great things about them.
    here is the new Claw http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...em=BajaClawTTC
    It is only out in the 54 right now but supposedly they will be out in the 39-42 flavor in a few months.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling!
    That looks like a cool redesign for the claw. Sidewalls are nasty.

I ran the old bias claws and loved em...
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Definitely go with the JJ over the Ballistic. They are worlds better. And cheaper to boot. I'm selling all of my joints to go with Ruff Stuff heims. That's how much I hate them.

The claws still do nothing at all for me, even with the redesign. I flat out don't like directional tires, and the claw tops that dislike list. I have yet to hear anything negative whatsoever about the PBRs. Hell, I like 'em. They're one of the softest tires that are DOT approved.

The 42" and 40" Krawler is out now too. They'd run circles around that claw.
    Something catchy goes here.

I really like the Idea of using heims instead of a cartridge style joint. I don't drive mine on the road any more. I had seen this kit from ruff stuff and thought that it was a good deal http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...roducts_id=442 maybe I will give them a call and see what kind of deal they can work out for me without all the brackets. All I really need is the heims, misalignments, jam nuts and tube inserts. I didn't see on their site if they sell tube inserts for square tube. I have heard that you can just use round tube inserts but I have yet to try it. has anyone else tried this?
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    If they don't have them, get them from Clayton.

Clayton uses round tube insters that you press in.http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...11dfe1297a6b5f
    I think that I have gotten them fron balistic, and they were actually square
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...er_p_1557.html But they are $20 a pop, thats why I was asking if anyone had used round tube inserts in square tube.LOL Plus I would probably get a better deal on the inserts If I were buying them in a package deal with the heims.
    Last edited by tjblair; 12-18-2010 at 10:06 PM.

i have bought a few of the ruffstuff heims, they are holding up well, cheap to boot, and are great folks to deal with. anything i have ordered from them has been here in 2 days.
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Looking good Jeff! Whats in store for the rear? 14B ?
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post
    Looking good Jeff! Whats in store for the rear? 14B ?
    Thanks, and no I have another d60 for the rear. Also going to try to get 4-6 in of stretch in the rear too.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Why not just get some chromo arms and never have to worry about it? Heretic fab is priced very competitively, and they come with inserts. Heck, you can even get RSS heims. RSS provides the inserts for Heretic.

Quote Originally Posted by tjblair View Post
    Clayton uses round tube insters that you press in.http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...11dfe1297a6b5f
    I think that I have gotten them fron balistic, and they were actually square
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...er_p_1557.html But they are $20 a pop, thats why I was asking if anyone had used round tube inserts in square tube.LOL Plus I would probably get a better deal on the inserts If I were buying them in a package deal with the heims.
    I used round inserts in the 1.5"x1.5" square tube for the upper links in my Y-link setup, no issues to date. With the tube being .25" wall, I just got inserts that had a 1" dia. on it and it fit perfectly. There's plenty of area to weld around the top. If you do go this route (even if you use square inserts), id suggest drilliing a hole in the tube itself for a good plug weld onto the insert.

If you still want to go the square insert route, maybe PM 13below0 on here. If I remember correctly, he was making them awhile back.

Why not just get some chromo arms and never have to worry about it? Heretic fab is priced very competitively, and they come with inserts. Heck, you can even get RSS heims. RSS provides the inserts for Heretic.
    Then someone would want to know why I didn't fab my own arms. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post

If you still want to go the square insert route, maybe PM 13below0 on here. If I remember correctly, he was making them awhile back.
    Jeff shoot a PM to him, his name is Jason, he hooked me up with my square tube adapters really cool guy.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I dont have a problam using round inserts I was just wondering if anyone had done it. I planed on plug welding them. I will see what ruff stuff has to offer on monday.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Then someone would want to know why I didn't fab my own arms. Lol.

No, they wonder why you didn't fab your own truss and mounts.

Like I said I guess Im just lazy

Theres a big difference in cutting and welding some flat plate and heat treating chromo!

PghOffRoad Regular
    Nice ! Very nice.
    [URL]http://justjeepin.org/[/URL]
    [url]http://www.hrja.org/[/url]

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by commando72 View Post
    No more broken axles!
    so by running a D60 that means no more broken axles? wish that was true for me.... another reason to go to 37's

Trail Leader
    Send those Ballistic joints back where you got them! They ****ing suck balls. Every single one of mine got way loose after two rides AND had all the chrome flake of the center ball. Get the currie JJ instead.

And seriously, claws? There are so much better tires out there, it's not even funny. Even Icants (Iroks) are better than those.
    WOW.. less than a year ago you were posting up how great Ballistic's stuff was....

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by CESCO View Post
    WOW.. less than a year ago you were posting up how great Ballistic's stuff was....
    Live and learn, often the hard and expensive way.

The claws still do nothing at all for me, even with the redesign. I flat out don't like directional tires, and the claw tops that dislike list.
    this may come as a shock, but many of us really don't care what does something for you.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but just because Dan58 doesn't like them doesn't mean anyone wants to follow.

Dude, i like the fact you might do something different rather than just listening to all the internet bullshit. Kinda like the guys that run boggers in the rocks and kicking ass despite everyone saying it won't work. kuddo's man.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    ..Kinda like the guys that run boggers in the rocks and kicking ass despite everyone saying it won't work. kuddo's man.

im surprised this is true, though im sure its a possibility. my only complaint(even though ive never run em haha) is the sidewall on those are reallllly stiff. i would just think that that wouldnt help them very much. but again, what the hay do i know.

anyways pgh-offtopic....back on topic!! sry Jeff haha
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

. I was also looking at the PB Rockers, I just haven't heard that many great things about them.
    i have actually heard nothing but good things about them. they seem to stick to everything. very pliable being bias ply. the owner of 4x4groupbuy.com runs them on everything and then ive seen them(along with the new claw) on extreme 4x4 and ian was raving about the rocker there too. if they wernt 13.5" wide i probably would have ran them on my rig when i was building it. i might still get them when i get to Texas, cause i dont have to worry about flares. and its just a ridiculous looking tread pattern haha
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Thread Information