Thread: Wiring the Samurai for flat towing... question on signals for towing.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar

Wiring the Samurai for flat towing... question on signals for towing.

I just finished repairing the stock wiring in the Samurai - so now I have brake lights, reverse lights, and both turn signals. Previously none worked, and at one point if you hit the brakes while in reverse, the horn would honk!

Anyway, all done...
    But...
    For towing - the harnesses all have outputs for:
    - Running lights
    - Left turn / brake
    -Right turn / brake
    - Reverse (I know this probably isn't needed, but I'm hooking it up anyway, because I can!)

The Samurai, however, has :
    - L / R running / brake (same bulb, different fillaments)
    - reverse
    - left turn
    - right turn

I'm going to wire the tow vehicles Brake/Turn to the Sammy's BRAKE light.
    So essentially the amber turn lights in the rear will never light - but the brake light will flash on that side brighter if that's how I tie it together. That's not a problem legally, is it? I figure it's how a trailer is anyway, just not sure if I MUST use relays to make the amber turn signals work just because they're there...

The front turns on the Sammy would never light either on turn, but the running lights up there will work as well.

I'm probably over thinking this, just want to avoid any tickets possible.
    Last edited by OverkillZJ; 01-16-2011 at 08:56 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...+towing+lights

Being the owner of a Samurai, the wiring sux and isn't worth a sh!t.

LOL, the wiring is good now! You know, now that it's all new... I bypassed most of the stock harnesses, and the hack/tap from over the years. Even put a new reverse switch in the transmission.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_and_jeep View Post
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...+towing+lights

Being the owner of a Samurai, the wiring sux and isn't worth a sh!t.
    that's what i used when i flat towed...
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I put the 4 ways on and called it a day... lol
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

I use to flat tow a willys...it only had the two lights on the back (no ambers) and it worked as you described...never had any issues with LEO...I would doubt you would have an issue with the reds as turn signals...

Lights and safety chains is all that was ever checked...only thing I was told ever told was by a PA trooper that if the vehicle in tow was registered over 3k lbs I would need an automatic braking system, like the brake buddy that RVers use on the car they tow...he didn’t bother to look at my registration or weight, it was just sort of a warning that someone in the future may question it...

on the willys I had to disconnect the turn signal switch or they wouldn’t work properly, also had to ratchet strap the steering wheel in place because there wasnt a steering wheel lock...if I forgot to do this it would remind me! after the first turn it would be back there with the wheels going back and forth like crazy

Quote Originally Posted by willysrule View Post
    I use to flat tow a willys...it only had the two lights on the back (no ambers) and it worked as you described...never had any issues with LEO...I would doubt you would have an issue with the reds as turn signals...

Lights and safety chains is all that was ever checked...only thing I was told ever told was by a PA trooper that if the vehicle in tow was registered over 3k lbs I would need an automatic braking system, like the brake buddy that RVers use on the car they tow...he didn’t bother to look at my registration or weight, it was just sort of a warning that someone in the future may question it...

on the willys I had to disconnect the turn signal switch or they wouldn’t work properly, also had to ratchet strap the steering wheel in place because there wasnt a steering wheel lock...if I forgot to do this it would remind me! after the first turn it would be back there with the wheels going back and forth like crazy
    when i flat towed my willys i left the wheel unlocked so it could follow the tow rig... never had an problems.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    doubt you would have trouble with the setup you are describing. Sounds like you have a 4 wire plug and your sammy has a 5 wire system. They make converters for 5 wire vehicle wiring to 4 wire plugs, I had one in my 90 cherkoee. You might be able to reverse wire it using one of those to separate you parking and turn signals if you really want to. Either way I think you will fine.

In all of my overthinking about it, I forgot that the samurai's brake lights would be tied together, so left / right turn results in the same thing. I'll pick up some diodes soon and fix that - this'll be a lot nicer than having the magnet tow lamps when its done.

fmly - the 7 pole trailer wiring on Jeeps like the 5.9 I'm towing with also combines turn / brake (same as 4 plus brake, reverse, constant 12). I think 99% of the vehicles out there do which doesn't work for this scenario, haha.

So you have a 7 pole RV Round, that needs to tie into a 4 pole Flat? They sell adapters for that, they aren't expensive. I may be misunderstanding what your trying to do though Matt...
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

^ No - I already have such an adapter.

On towing wiring, 4 pole or 7 pole, the wiring, the BRAKE and TURN SIGNALS go to one light. Samurai lights aren't like trailer lights, there is seperate BRAKE lights and TURN signals. No worries, I'm wiring to the brake lights so they'll work as turn signals too, and will wire in diodes to keep the electricity from lighting both sides at once when I'm turning.

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    get the magnetic lights from HF, they work great and the magnets are very strong

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    ^ No - I already have such an adapter.

On towing wiring, 4 pole or 7 pole, the wiring, the BRAKE and TURN SIGNALS go to one light. Samurai lights aren't like trailer lights, there is seperate BRAKE lights and TURN signals. No worries, I'm wiring to the brake lights so they'll work as turn signals too, and will wire in diodes to keep the electricity from lighting both sides at once when I'm turning.
    Okay I got ya LOL I was havin trouble followin where you were goin.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    get the magnetic lights from HF, they work great and the magnets are very strong
    I have a set of those, the magnets worked good till the one magnet fell off, it fell off both the light and the car I was towing all in one shot, lol, lights still work good so they are going on a trailer I have, and I bought a new set of lights, for the $10 when on sale they are nice to have laying around.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

saw a sweet set at tractor supply today...magnetic wireless LED's....$150, I might go back and buy a set just to have!

You guys take the easy way out! By the time I'm done making this work I'll have 100 feet of wire (probably more than stock on that thing haha) into it, but I"ll have towing tailights without magnets!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    You guys take the easy way out! By the time I'm done making this work I'll have 100 feet of wire (probably more than stock on that thing haha) into it, but I"ll have towing tailights without magnets!
    Yeah but since I have a car trailer for the Jeep and most of the vehicles I tow. The tow lights are there for when I use my unversal mount tow bar to tow things that don't fit on the trailer. I've also used them on the hitch rack off the back of the car when I have it loaded enough that I start to cover the taillights.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeMudder View Post
    Yeah but since I have a car trailer for the Jeep and most of the vehicles I tow. The tow lights are there for when I use my unversal mount tow bar to tow things that don't fit on the trailer. I've also used them on the hitch rack off the back of the car when I have it loaded enough that I start to cover the taillights.
    that's why i have mine. i towed my buddy's trailer with my trailer and you couldn't see the trailer lights. So i tossed the magnetic ones on top.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    HF has the lights on sale for $10. Read the reviews some of them were assembled backwards if you buy them.

I was going to do the same thing with the XJ. I read something about back feed into the stock harness. I cant remember but it confused me so I bought the HF lights.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Those magnetic lights have bailed me out a few times when you're leaving for a trip and the trailer lights have problems. Toss on the magnetics and you're rolling.
    1984 Scrambler - On the road again
    1984 Toyota pickup - Rust
    1985 Toyota pickup - More rust
    1990 Toyota pickup - Less rust, more blown timing chain

Thread Information