Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any cheap AR-15 rifles

Less posting, more wheeling!

Any cheap AR-15 rifles

so i was up at gander mountain yesterday and theyre advertising a bushmaster ar-15 carbine for $650. after rebates-n-that. it got me to thinking of getting a new rifle but id like somethin a little better for the same money, probally used. so im asking if anyones selling anything or has seen anything used somewhere thats a good deal. i called ace sporting and they wouldnt tell me nothing over the phone and i hate to ride all the way there for nothing.
    i already have a s&w ar chambered in .308 and i love it but its to much to play with. id like a .223 flat top or optics ready for plinking.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Considered a .22 version?

I picked up an M&P 15-22 for less than $500, can get 550 round ammo boxes for less than $20. For just plinking, that's pretty cheap. Pretty much any AR accessory will fit on it too.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

nah, id prefer .223. and my pinking is in a shoot house or praticing tatical drills. i though about one of the .22 but that would be somethin if i had nothin else i wanted. ive seen .22 conversion kits for $200 for standard ar rifles also.

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    I compare most prices to budsgunshop.com

( The link insert isn't working, it kept adding pgh-offroad to the beginning of the link)
    Last edited by MemorEsto; 02-16-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MemorEsto View Post
    I compare most prices to budsgunshop.com

( The link insert isn't working, it kept adding pgh-offroad to the beginning of the link)
    www.budsgunshop.com

Just type http:// and/or then the address. Don't put a slash anywhere before the name or it thinks it's a trailing address of PGH-OR.

Don't know if this will help you or not, but is still good info.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html
    A bad day of wheelin' is still better than a good day at work

You have a jeep, that's so cute so does barbie.

'89 Toyota P/U 3.0 5 speed
    custom bumpers, sliders
    33x13.50 Super Swamper LTB

'03 Dodge Dakota 32" BFG AT DD

Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    nah, id prefer .223. and my pinking is in a shoot house or praticing tatical drills. i though about one of the .22 but that would be somethin if i had nothin else i wanted. ive seen .22 conversion kits for $200 for standard ar rifles also.
    I understand where you are comin' from. I debated getting the .223 and a conversion kit too. Decided to just get the 15-22 for now, then I will have an excuse to buy another one in .223 later on.

Need to have a range day or something this spring!

ya that would work, i just went out today and picked up a springfield xd .45 compact. its so sweet

PghOffRoad Regular
    Hey sethman I work near ACE and actually have to go there for some .40 ammo. If you want I could ask about a .223 cal AR If you want and I could just get back to you.
    2002 Overland. Skyjacker bb with Kolak's UC HD springs, Rustys Shocks, RC Disco's and SS. Pro Comp RockCrawler Wheels, 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STT's Halfed Bumper painted black with 100w fog lights, HID's. Rola roof rack. Hitch mounted spare tire carrier under construction

Cabelas just sent me an ad they have an off brand .22 cal ar15 for under 250$ don't know quality but I would buy that before a conversion kit

^ is it the High Point thing that kinda looks like an AR?

When I was shopping I compared the Colt/Umarex and the Sig 556 versions, but liked the S&W the best. Already have a front grip/bipod, voodoo tac sling, and 3 extra mags. All pretty cheap. I'd like to hit the range soon but the 6 shot limit at the Wexford range makes that no so appealing.

Sethman - congrat's on the XD .45! My friend has one and I love that gun....I'm considering it as a future purchase. I also like the Ruger SR9c and Beretta PX4 Storm if I stick with 9mm. Thinking Kimber Ultra Carry .45 or the XD .45 as alternates or additional buys. Yeah I'm all over the place....too many nice guns out there....

Back on topic, Sethman have you checked gungenie.com for an AR? You can search and get local dealers who will get the gun for you and you can price compare online, put a deposit down online, and pay the balance when you pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by soupy688 View Post
    Hey sethman I work near ACE and actually have to go there for some .40 ammo. If you want I could ask about a .223 cal AR If you want and I could just get back to you.
    i was just there, nothing interesting in my price range. so i picked up a .45 instead, they had a decent deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    ^ is it the High Point thing that kinda looks like an AR?

When I was shopping I compared the Colt/Umarex and the Sig 556 versions, but liked the S&W the best. Already have a front grip/bipod, voodoo tac sling, and 3 extra mags. All pretty cheap. I'd like to hit the range soon but the 6 shot limit at the Wexford range makes that no so appealing.

Sethman - congrat's on the XD .45! My friend has one and I love that gun....I'm considering it as a future purchase. I also like the Ruger SR9c and Beretta PX4 Storm if I stick with 9mm. Thinking Kimber Ultra Carry .45 or the XD .45 as alternates or additional buys. Yeah I'm all over the place....too many nice guns out there....

Back on topic, Sethman have you checked gungenie.com for an AR? You can search and get local dealers who will get the gun for you and you can price compare online, put a deposit down online, and pay the balance when you pick it up.
    id love to find a s&w m&p used but thats probally not gonna happen. ace had a used one two moths ago and it was gone by the time i got there later that day. ive checked out the online dealers but aint sure how it all works, and where to have it sent to. i dont have a normal gun dealer, i get them from whoever has the best deal.

thanks on the .45 props, im dieing to shoot it, i picked up some winchester (ugh) ammo and have been considering going to the wexford range. ya the 6 shot limit sucks but if youre theyre early and no one else is there, than sometimes i forget how to count

i also saw the no name rifle at cabellas, ah. id rather put the money towards something good. im sure ill pick up one of the .22 eventually but itll be the s&w version. i believe theyre four somethin.
    Last edited by sethman15210; 02-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.

I think I paid like $460 or somewhere around there for the M&P 15-22 up at Sportsmans Supply in Butler. I'd have to go check the receipt. It's one of those things where i kinda don't even want to look at the price after I made up my mind its coming home with me.

If you wanna hit the Wexford range one of these days post up, maybe we can get a group together and go. I always have something I wanna shoot....maybe between the two of us we can figure out how many 6 shots really is...

Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    id love to find a s&w m&p used but thats probally not gonna happen. ace had a used one two moths ago and it was gone by the time i got there later that day. ive checked out the online dealers but aint sure how it all works, and where to have it sent to. i dont have a normal gun dealer, i get them from whoever has the best deal.

thanks on the .45 props, im dieing to shoot it, i picked up some winchester (ugh) ammo and have been considering going to the wexford range. ya the 6 shot limit sucks but if youre theyre early and no one else is there, than sometimes i forget how to count

i also saw the no name rifle at cabellas, ah. id rather put the money towards something good. im sure ill pick up one of the .22 eventually but itll be the s&w version. i believe theyre four somethin.

This is the place to do a transfer, http://www.firearmtransfers.net/ I have not dealt with hm personally, but have never heard anything but good things. He is also cheaper than most gun shops.

There is nothing wrong with Winchester Ammo, I shoot it all the time.

Find a club to join. Mine is capped right now or I would recommend it. This is a great club that I have shot at a couple of times, http://www.pmsconline.com/ .
    The range at Wexford is a joke and it's matter of time before someone is killed or seriously injured there. I will never go there, not even if it was empty. Loading more than what is allowed will get you a ticket.

When you hit the "shift" key in conjuncture with any of the letter keys on your keyboard they become capitol letters. These come in handy for the start of a new sentence and the letter i when used by itself when you are speaking in the first person.
    A bad day of wheelin' is still better than a good day at work

You have a jeep, that's so cute so does barbie.

'89 Toyota P/U 3.0 5 speed
    custom bumpers, sliders
    33x13.50 Super Swamper LTB

'03 Dodge Dakota 32" BFG AT DD

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    If you're patient for deals and like playing with the barbie-for-men doll known as the AR15 then build your own. I got a DSA flat top upper and lower, bulldog barrel, YHM compensator, tapco 6 position stock, timber wolf tactical lower parts kit, rock river arms bolt carrier group, bravo company gunfighter latch, magpul folding BUIS, BSA red dot, barksa vertical grip, magpul pmags, and a toaster oven with digital read out...all for about $800.

If you can install an aussie locker, or hell, even change a water pump on a 4.0L, then you can build an AR.

Cheap upper ($350) (I have one) drop it on a delton or rogio lower ($89-109), a lower parts kit ($54-$60) and a stock ($29-$199) or a complete lower ($169-$209)

http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hb...ndard-2-1.aspx
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

There is a guy I met on S&W forums that might do the paperwork cheap or get you good deals on this type of stuff. Haven't used his services yet myself but have talked to him and seems like a decent dude.

John McCaw
    JCD Tactical Law Enforcement Sales
    White Oak, PA
    412 980-1233

ive been checking into the build-a-gun sets, theres alot of different manufactures. i dont know enough about some of the smaller companies to make a decision. but so far they sound like the cheapest option unless i can find a s&w used (fingers crossed). im being patient and im sure ill find somethin. to reply to the clubs, a few friends of mine belong to various clubs and i go with them sometimes. but i dont get out enough to make a membership worth it. i pay a buck or two to tag along and its fine. wexford is my usual place but i try to go early when theres no one there and always during the week. theres to many kids on the weekends with those dam fake ak's trying to act tough. and eddyb, pressing the shift key is a pain. it slows me down to much

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    Honestly, an AR is a lot like a Jeep in the way that there is no "cheap" version of one. Sure, you can get a decent deal on one. Sure, you may pay a few dollars less than the next guy. In the end between accessorizing and ammo you are always going to be spending money on the damn thing. I would guess I have somewhere between $1700 and $2000 into mine, but I have it set up exactly like I want it.

Now it is time for another one. Just because.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

Stag makes a decent AR for a good price. You might want to check them out. Buying the lower, a lower parts kit (LPK), and a complete upper (rather than a complete gun) is one way to help keep the cost down without having to be a gunsmith. if you can change your own oil, you can put an LPK in a lower. And then it is just a matter of pushing two pins to put the upper on it.

John Battilana at www.firearmstransfers.net is indeed a good place to have the transfer done if you buy on the web (which, imho, is typically the way to go). I shoot with John occasionally. He is a good guy. Another good guy is Todd Enos at www.gunrunnersofpa.com. Both of these guys are just shooters who were sick of seeing people get ripped off on transfers by gun shops (and getting ripped off themselves), so they got their FFLs and set up shop.

Also, as mentioned above PMSC is a great club with great practical shooting facilities...you can shoot an AR the way an AR is meant to be shot there (as well as practice IPSC/IDPA style shooting...along with a group that does CMP rifle shooting.). A lot of great guys at the club as well...always happy to help out newbies.

Prepare to probably want to at least put an EOTech/Aimpoint type red dot optic on your AR when considering the price.

Stan (New to this forum...just bought a DRZ-400 and was searching for places to ride and found this forum--seems like a cool place)

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Good to have ya aboard Stan, my family are members at PMSC, I live over in NHT. Got an RM have to get some riding in.

AR's are like big kid lego sets. I've been looking and looking and will probably eventually put one together with bargains offline. Goin to buy me an AK first though
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    This is the $60 lower I started with... http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Stripp...nfo/DSZM4RBLM/

Looks like they're sold out right now but the blemish is a joke. You have to hold it in the right light to see a few dots in the finish.

ya i know al about dsa, ive ran across alot of the FAL parts. i used to have a pre-ban model FAL. i think building one is the way im gonna go, is there anywhere locally to get these parts or is it a online only thing? im not a cheap ass, but every dollar i spend on a gun is one less dollar i spend on my xj. and my "gimmie" list is a mile long.

also ridgerunner, if you're looking for a ak, don't make the mistake and get one of them wasr rifles. all the low quality stamped parts wear out. Chinese made ak's can be had for under 600. i bought a early 70's russian model for 750 and a Chinese model for 650 at a gun bash.
    Last edited by sethman15210; 02-23-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Already done my research and know what i'm buying
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Thread Information