Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick my new DD

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Personally I'd definitely go for the RAM.

I'll have my new DD in the next month or so. It'll be very different from the norm - and no, I don't think it'll be the Elantra like I said. Something that's a little more fun.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Personally I'd definitely go for the RAM.

I'll have my new DD in the next month or so. It'll be very different from the norm - and no, I don't think it'll be the Elantra like I said. Something that's a little more fun.
    Genesis?
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Close, fell in love with the Sonata 2.0T. 283HP in a vehicle that gets almost 35MPG, and is that nice and quiet inside... just brewing over the idea and payment now.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    The new Grand Cherokees are pretty sexy for a DD as well, so I threw that into the equation this morning as well.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    We had an '11 Laredo Grand for a rental during the Hammers. I can say I really like that thing. It rode extremely well on the highway and got nice mileage with the new V6. That said, the one thing I HATED about it was the DBW.
    Something catchy goes here.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    The new Grand Cherokees are pretty sexy for a DD as well, so I threw that into the equation this morning as well.
    So what the hell did you come home with? The grands are really nice for a DD my aunt just got one its pretty awesome. Me and my dad are trying to talk my mom into one for her
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
    Hemi Ram.
    Did anyone else see Extreme 4x4 this weekend? They put a supercharger in a v6 JK and then compared it to the hemi upgrade. They got to within 10 percent of the hemi in hp and torque and it cost less than half the price of getting the v8/hemi upgrade. I thought that was interesting.

Oh, of course that was a JK hemi. I'm not dissing the Ram here by any means.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    We had an '11 Laredo Grand for a rental during the Hammers. I can say I really like that thing. It rode extremely well on the highway and got nice mileage with the new V6. That said, the one thing I HATED about it was the DBW.
    DBW? What's that?

The grand won 4wheeler of the year this year. Not that it was much of a challenge with just two other competitors. It did break the t-case lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango View Post
    Did anyone else see Extreme 4x4 this weekend? They put a supercharger in a v6 JK and then compared it to the hemi upgrade. They got to within 10 percent of the hemi in hp and torque and it cost less than half the price of getting the v8/hemi upgrade. I thought that was interesting.

Oh, of course that was a JK hemi. I'm not dissing the Ram here by any means.
    Everytime I watch Extreme, it's a re-run. Everytime I don't watch it, it's a new episode. What the.......

PghOffRoad Regular
    ^^I hardly ever watch it so they're all new to me.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Also, the rig they put it in had custom axles, exhaust and other drive train elements. Now, they claim the work they did actually bled MORE hp out of the engine than stock would -- plus they were running it on 37s -- so their take was that a supercharger on a largely stock mod would be very close to the hemi in performance.

It's a TV show, plugging the companies that make the stuff they use so take it for what it's worth.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
    DBW? What's that?

The grand won 4wheeler of the year this year. Not that it was much of a challenge with just two other competitors. It did break the t-case lol.
    Drive by Wire. There is no throttle cable.

The hemi they used in that JK was hardly the same one in a 2011 Ram. It was likely a 330hp(ish) one from a wrecked truck (I didn't catch the first part of where it was sourced). The 2009+ has a 390+hp Hemi with MDS. They also paid $20K (wtf) to a shop like Burnsville for that swap. A friend down here did the same swap in his, even paying a shop to do it. He had under $10K in the swap.

And frankly, a chassis dyno doesn't tell you squat about the engine. It's certainly not apples to apples because they had such different drivetrains. The ONLY way to compare those two is to put each engine on an engine dyno. Let us also not forget that the S/C probably requires premium gas.
    Something catchy goes here.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I'm voting for the JK as the DD. You've got a truck available if you need it.

And for the SCV6 vs Hemi JK, they also let the supercharger guys play with the tune on the SCV6, but the Hemi was left on a stock tune.

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    Jeep hands down. why would you lease a truck for a truck?

Drive by Wire. There is no throttle cable.

The hemi they used in that JK was hardly the same one in a 2011 Ram. It was likely a 330hp(ish) one from a wrecked truck (I didn't catch the first part of where it was sourced). The 2009+ has a 390+hp Hemi with MDS. They also paid $20K (wtf) to a shop like Burnsville for that swap. A friend down here did the same swap in his, even paying a shop to do it. He had under $10K in the swap.

And frankly, a chassis dyno doesn't tell you squat about the engine. It's certainly not apples to apples because they had such different drivetrains. The ONLY way to compare those two is to put each engine on an engine dyno. Let us also not forget that the S/C probably requires premium gas.

i actually agree with you here. plus a hemi won't put you into limp mode like the superchargers do. there's lots of guys that when they go WOT get the red lightning bolt on the dash and the jeep goes into limp mode.

the hemi the power is there ALL the time. Also, 20k is standard rate on a hemi swap. seriously. JUST the conversion kit from AEV is 5200 bucks. and that doesn't include the motor or transmission/tcase.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Get the bling Grand Cherokee SRT -- it's a better vehicle than the Buggatti Veyeron

I'd say the Ram 1500, but I think the Jeep would be more fun. Plus, unless they changed something since the first year of the redesign, the cupholders suck (they can't hold 32 oz gatorades anymore!) in the new Ram and they don't offer the fold flat rear platform.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 02-28-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Ended up with the Ram, but it wasn't an easy decision. The whole purpose of getting another vehicle was to keep miles off the 2500, I have put 25k miles on it over the past 10 months using it for work and as a daily driver. At the rate I was going, it would be junk in another 2-3 years. I haul and tow often, so I figured buying anything but a truck would force me continue to rack up miles on the 2500. Hopefully I can keep the mileage down and get another 10 years out of it as a shop truck.

I spent some time driving the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee this morning and really liked them both. I can say C/J/D has done an awesome job with their new models (especially the interiors) and if the deal on the Grand was as good as the Ram, I would have brought it home instead. Its crazy how much more comfortable they are compared to my 2000 TJ and the 2004 Grand I had in the past.

The only downfall of the truck is how terrible the gas mileage will be. I figure if gas goes to $5 a gallon, motorcycles will be flying out the door and gas money won't be an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    Plus, unless they changed something since the first year of the redesign, the cupholders suck (they can't hold 32 oz gatorades anymore!) in the new Ram and they don't offer the fold flat rear platform.
    You're right, the cupholders aren't nearly as big as my 2006, but there are two down in the driver's door panel. Mine does have the fold-flat floor, my 2006 did not.

I think you made the right choice (between the options given). My brother in law just bought the same truck. The new Hemi power is awesome. He said he is pulling 16 MPG. I'd imagine it should get better once they break in.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Thread Information