Thread: Where to shoot??

Web Wheeler!

Where to shoot??

Looking for somewhere to shoot. Used to belong to PMSC years and years ago when it was actually still in Monroeville. But haven't belonged to a club in forever. Thought about joining another one, but looking to see if there's any pay-per-use ranges or anywhere else to shoot around the region.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    My dad is a member of PMSC, I'm going to renew my membership here pretty soon, I let it expire last year. I love the facilities there, they have a 300yd rifle range, outdoor pistol range, indoor pistol range, 3d archery range, trap, skeet, 5 stand trap, and a sporting clays course. Pretty sure they have some other things as well. The new banquet hall is extremely nice as well.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Web Wheeler!
    I haven't been up there since I helped build the indoor archery range when it was just opening. Kind of pricey for membership compared to others around but I guess they do have alot more ammenities.

^ Actually they were comparable when my friends were pricing around, at least locally to us.
    94 YJ MTO

Less posting, more wheeling!
    the state range in wexford is free,, just a thought. im actually going there tomorrow and wednesday

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    the state range in wexford is free,, just a thought. im actually going there tomorrow and wednesday
    But limited to I think 3 rounds in a rifle at a time right?

ahhhh, its free. but sometimes if no ones there i forget to count (shhhh)

Web Wheeler!
    I hear ya...just don't wanna get nailed with a fine after blowing thru a few 30 rd. mags.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I heard about some proposed legislation in PA after this past summer's public range douchebaggery* that would require you to have a permit to use any state owned public range. Not sure about where it currently stands.

I recommend you move to the country and buy some land and have the best time of your life. I would never, ever go to a public range where they require you to leave your weapon at the bench while you go check your target. What a joke.

*People from Jersey (go figure) and that militia guy that shot a lawyer while he was downrange checking his target so he could steal the lawyers sweet rifle.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 03-08-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I recommend you move to the country and buy some land and have the best time of your life. I would never, ever go to a public range where they require you to leave your weapon at the bench while you go check your target. What a joke.

*People from Jersey (go figure) and that militia guy that shot a lawyer while he was downrange checking his target so he could steal the lawyers sweet rifle.
    That's my plan in a few years but until then I need to find somewhere. I agree, don't like the idea of someone 'watching' me go downrange while leaving my weapons behind.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman15210 View Post
    ahhhh, its free. but sometimes if no ones there i forget to count (shhhh)
    It's only free till 4-1-2011, then you will need a permit to use the range. As far as mag capacity goes, just because you don't see anyone doesn't mean someone isn't watching (or listening).

Sadly you also have to worry about being shot while on the line from the poor handling skills of those there. I think the permit idea is great, it will keep the riff raff out. It is my understanding that if you have a current hunting license you would not need the permit.

PMSC is a great club and is very reasonable for what have access to. I shoot there once a month and would join if it were closer.
    A bad day of wheelin' is still better than a good day at work

You have a jeep, that's so cute so does barbie.

'89 Toyota P/U 3.0 5 speed
    custom bumpers, sliders
    33x13.50 Super Swamper LTB

'03 Dodge Dakota 32" BFG AT DD

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    I belong to Millvale Sportsmen (near the 910 range). It isn't the best place around but has been making many improvements lately. It is, I think anyway, very reasonably priced.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

I shoot up at my uncles farm, whenever I want its fantastic lol
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Money from hunting licenses is what builds the game lands ranges right? (not being a smartass, just asking) I don't have a problem with only people who purchase a license being able to use them then. I go to the public range by laughlintown(sp?) or friends farms
    03 Cummins 6 speed pulls around my 84 chev 1 ton on 44"s. 427BBC, 5.13's and detroits. Shortened 28". Some day I'll finish it
    1969 M35A2 "Deuce and a half" with winch, singled out. SOLD
    1972 M818 on 53"s with a 855ci Cummins. SOLD
    99 4runner winter hoopty

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb1 View Post
    I belong to Millvale Sportsmen (near the 910 range). It isn't the best place around but has been making many improvements lately. It is, I think anyway, very reasonably priced.
    Are they taking applications for members? I've heard it's a decent place to go but I don't know anyone who is a member.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepSteeler View Post
    Are they taking applications for members? I've heard it's a decent place to go but I don't know anyone who is a member.
    Now you do. As of Jan 1 they had openings, not sure if they've filled by now or not. Seems it is usually around 100% full but not usually quite full. You can find the info on the website about signing up. I don't recall anything about it myself. I think about $100 to sign up and $100 ($85?) a year.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

^ Thats about what PMSC's is last time I heard. I think most of the ranges around are pretty similar in price range.
    94 YJ MTO

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    yes, the hunting license fee's pay for the ranges. you will need a permit or a hunting license to use the state game lands ranges if it passes.

thankfully i never had to use one of those ranges. at my buddies place we have a range right at his house, or we can take a ride to an old strip job and shoot as far as we feel like it that day.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb1 View Post
    Now you do. As of Jan 1 they had openings, not sure if they've filled by now or not. Seems it is usually around 100% full but not usually quite full. You can find the info on the website about signing up. I don't recall anything about it myself. I think about $100 to sign up and $100 ($85?) a year.
    Thanks for the info Jackb - I'll check it out and see if I can join up. I usually shoot at my camp but it's a 2 hour drive so it would be nice to have a local option that isn't the Wexford range. Much appreciated....

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Thread Information