Thread: Lakes with swimming, fishing, camping and maybe boating

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Lakes with swimming, fishing, camping and maybe boating

The girlfriend and I would like to go on a trip this summer and we were thinking of going to a lake rather than the beach. Anyone know of a good spot with all of the above within 300 miles of the area? We are planning on a week trip and want to keep the costs as low as possible. Camping preferably allows a pop up camper.
    "If guns don't kill people, people kill people, does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toasts toast?"

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Or, if you know the average costs of going to the beach, any beach for week, post that up.
    "If guns don't kill people, people kill people, does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toasts toast?"

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    the nicest lake/beach camping and boating place i know of is presque isle in erie.

you can camp on the beach at sara coyne campground, but its hard to get a spot.
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    That looks like a good plan, gives me the beach and her the lake. I'll check that out, thanks

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    We frequent deep creek, yough dam, loyalhanna dam, tygart lake and stonewall jackson lake and Cheat Lake.

Deep Creek is crowded if you go after July 4th, great during the week in June. If you don't have a boat or something to do on the water, it's probably your best bet for stuff to do off the water. The state park is decent and has a fake sand beach and boat slips.

The other places I listed are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I would check out Raystown Lake as well, I've never been there but heard its nice.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    ^ I've been to every lake he listed except stonewall jackson. They are all nice and I've been to Raystown, its huge and lots to do in the vicinity if you like hiking etc. All the Lakes JeepGeneral listed as far as I know are unlimited horsepower lakes and not really suited to canoeing etc. unless you are in the backwaters or some of the coves not sure what kinda boating your looking for. Tons of PA state parks have everything your looking for, Laurel Hill just to name one of hundreds that meet your requirements.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Check out Ricketts Glen added bonus of hiking as well.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Trail Leader
    I live on Loyalhanna and its not bad, fake beach, decent fishing but unlimited hp so canoes are rough on the weekends. During the week you'd have no trouble. Conemaugh lake is just over the hill about 5 miles from here and its electric motor only. Its great fishing for perch, walleye, pike and musky.There is also the Conemaugh and Loylhanna rivers that flow out of the dams which are beautiful 1 day paddling trips. The Saltsburg River Trail runs through here too. This is flat rails to trails for biking and hiking. I also know of some wheeling. If you decide to come out to the sticks hit me up and I'll show you around.
    -1988 Suzuki Samurai--4 Skwirls--SOA--High Steer--The New Woods Beater!!!
    -2003 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD--3.4L--5 speed--285's--rear e-locker
    -2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road--4.0L--6 speed--Shrockworks Bumper--Wife's Ride

Trail Leader
    Oh yeah, Keystone Lake is only a couple miles from here too. It has a beach and canoeing also. And if you need boats my Uncle owns the rental shop.

We always go to Toms Cove in Chincoteague, VA .. Chincoteague Island.. it's about 400 miles and 40 bux or so a night.. Lots to do there.. we go fishing, crabbing, hiking, sightseeing, beaching, and tons of wildlife... If you could do the extra 100 miles and 40 bux or so a night look it up! Very nice campground with showers and a pool! Beach is on assateague island which is about a 10 or 15 minute drive..

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    assateague island is great! love that place!
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Trail Leader
    /\I've been wanting to go there.
    Last edited by condortaco01; 03-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    We always seem to spend a few weekends camping in Erie @ Virginia's Beach Campground. The prices are not bad, and the campground is right on Lake Erie, about a 20 minute drive from Presque Isle.

http://virginiasbeach.com/
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

Trail Leader
    For local waterfront stuff, we normally head up to Kinzua in the ANF, and camp on the reservoir at Dewdrop, Red Bridge, or Kiasutha. If we want to float the upper Allegheny (National Wild and Scenic River) we camp at Buckaloons right beside the river. In September, we head to Hatteras, NC. Beachfront house with 5 br/5baths/pool/hot tub. Summer crowds are gone, but it's still summer. The house that rents for 3500.00/wk in summer goes for 650/750.00 wk in September.

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limegreentj View Post
    assateague island is great! love that place!
    For the love of God, do not beach a jetski on the ocean side, in the park. We got chased/stopped by every law enforcement agency in Ocean City, including the state police, coast guard, park rangers, OCPD, Life Guards, and Park security.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

Trail Leader
    Raystown is pretty awesome....HUGE lake with 30lb+ stripers, plenty to do in the area (bars/waterpark/tourist attractions) There is enough lake there to find your own little spot even during the busy season. Most campgrounds will have swimming beaches or you can just go off the boat in a cove (be careful). If you want to know more hit me up - I used to work at the one resort and went to school there so I can tell you all the best spots.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    this is where i go ... great place. 2 - 2.5 hour drive from pgh.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...gallitzin.aspx

camping tent and popup/camper
    hiking
    boating
    fishing
    not far from horse back riding and gocarts
    Last edited by jim91303; 03-21-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    OFFROAD
    1988 cherokee chief 4.0 inline 6
    locked front and rear
    35x12.5 r 15
    8.5'' lift

TOW RIG
    1994 chevy 3500 dually
    5.7l 454
    auto trans
    4x4 manual shift

PghOffRoad Regular
    Close and super cheap is Crooked Creek in Armstrong County. I believe the campground has permanent bathrooms/showers on site. There's a beach, boating, hiking, fishing. Not a big lake but big enough to canoe. Don't expect anything fancy. I haven't been there in quite a while but, last I checked, an overnight camp spot was something like $25. It's an Army Corps of Engineers area. You should be able to get more info on their website.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by jim91303 View Post
    this is where i go ... great place. 2 - 2.5 hour drive from pgh.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...gallitzin.aspx

camping tent and popup/camper
    hiking
    boating
    fishing
    not far from horse back riding and gocarts
    20hp limit for boats. Nice lake, but there are going to be some changes up there this year with a limited season. The park rangers there are VERY nice and the park is very nice.

Raystown is awesome also, we stayed in the 7 Points campground for my bachelor party and all of the party activities were tolerated...I don't know how...
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

First off Crooked creek campground was $10 a night the last time I was there two years ago. not a bad campground Next"never; never; never; camp at Loyalhanna lake. campground; I was there last year and saw turds floating down the stream that feeds the dam; they allow swimming in this mess, the town upstream dumps their raw sewage in this creek.next"The ranger that potrols this campground is nuts; I had two wheels of my pickup on what he called grass (was nothing but weeds) he threatened to confisicate my camper, give me a fine of $225, call the police and have me put in jail. The hosts arn't any better they ride around in a gulfcart and will complain about everything; If your local you can pretty much do what you want. The locals bring their beer on weekends and party all night.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Loyalhanna fish cops must have made you really mad to join the forum, dig up a two year old topic and bitch about it.

Loyalhanna rules!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    Loyalhanna fish cops must have made you really mad to join the forum, dig up a two year old topic and bitch about it.

Loyalhanna rules!
    Not to get in a pissing match here but let me give you some background:
    I was born and raised in Apollo, have been going to Loyalhanna campground so long that I used to go there when there were no campsites only an open place to camp and it was free.
    Yep I just did find this web site and decided to join.
    I never had a problem at Loyalhanna till last year,
    I don't swim in the lake; for those that live around here, most of them know about the brown trout problem, but chose to ignore it.
    As to the weekend drunks I personaly don't care; get drunk fall down go to sleep, just do it quietly. I mentioned this so if anyone has small kids they might not want them here.
    I always got along with the hosts and rangers till last year; they were new and I never seen either one of them till last year, I had talked to the other campers about them and they all agreed; these guys were nuts, both of them.
    Now if you will get few campers that camped in Loyalhahha campground perhaps they may have a differt take on this.
    And thats my two cents
    have a nice day

Thread Information